Why Pinch Harmonics Die Out?

MaCcA

I've realised that pinch harmonics on my new Dean VMNT sounds weaker and doesn't sustain at all....it dies out in like 1 sec.

On my Ibanez RG321 it's perfectly fine...it's weird how my current active pickups isn't doing harmonics better than my stock passive pickups on my Ibanez.

I've read string action might affect harmonics and I've tried adjusting it...the difference is pretty minor and doesn't really explain the problem....

Could it be pickup height or other factors?

Anyone has any advice?

Thanks!

Last edited:
shouldn't be....everything else equal, my Ibanez is able to pull it off.

I can get the harmonic to sound out well but it just dies out =(

Is your pickups sounding very weak? Like lacks sustain or something? Check your battery and pots?

hmm...nope....it plays fine and sustains well
only the harmonics screw up hah
but i might try just changing batteries maybe

the harmonic does sound out clearly...

to add on to that i'm actually trying to sustain a harmonic on top of a bend on the 5th fret, G String

Any problems when bending normally on that same fret and string?? If no, then i dunno what is it already, might be uneven frets ?

If the scale length of the 2 guitars differ, you may want to try the pinch harmonic at different parts of the string (ie picking area...nearer to bridge or neck makes a difference)

check your neck to see if its straight. my guess is that its either due to neck warpage or uneven frets.

if you really find it to be a problem, try bringing down to a tech to see. I don't think they would charge for "consultation" :)

is your distorted sound equal for both guitars or is your active equipped guitar sounding a lot cleaner than your RG321?

Are you using any noise reduction pedal? It might shorten the sustain of your pinch harmonics.

Or maybe it has to do with the string gauge. Are the string gauge on both guitars the same? Thicker strings tend to have longer sustain.

thx for all the advice guys!

it's actually quite a subtle thing....the difference is not enormous...but i'm just puzzled how the passive infi pickups do better than active duncan livewire pickups hah

brought it down to Mike and the guitar is perfectly fine.....the pinch harmonics deemed decent too....just a bit weaker than my Ibanez...thx Mike if u're looking hah

during the course of this i've also discovered that feedback can be utilized to sustain a pinch harmonic...wow....

Oh yah. I was just wondering, is it that humbuckers squeal better than single coils? And bolt on necks and set neck squeal, any difference?

Back