Who likes single coils?

Anyone tried playing black metal with singlecoils? I did and liked the result. Can't use singlecoils for most other metal though, at least for me.

could someone like whitestrat or a single coil dweeb recommend me single coils for playing classic rock? think blackmore

something thats low/moderate output?

thanks ;)

Stacked? or singles? Blackmore, I think simply used what wasd available. Should be late 60s or 70s pickups.

singles. when u say u simply use whats available do u mean stock pickups?

i use my stock pickups of a mexican fender and i find something missing.

singles. when u say u simply use whats available do u mean stock pickups?

i use my stock pickups of a mexican fender and i find something missing.

What's missing? What are you using for reference for blackmoore? Be more specific please..

the pickups sound rather trebly and lifeless compared to ritchie blackmores tone even after alot of tweaking. although i know his amp and his fingers are the main factor for his tone i want to know whats good for classic rock in general.

the pickups sound rather trebly and lifeless compared to ritchie blackmores tone even after alot of tweaking. although i know his amp and his fingers are the main factor for his tone i want to know whats good for classic rock in general.

I assume you're using a deent tube amp? then try vintage noiseless for no hum or CS fat 50s for true singles.

lifted this from a Blackmore fanclub with regards to his pups..

..."Blackmore has experimented with many different pickups in his Strats. In the early Rainbow era they were still stock Fenders, later Dawk installed overwound, dipped, Fender pickups. He has also used Schechter F-500-Ts, Velvet Hammer "Red Rhodes", DiMarzio "HS-2", OBL "Black Label", Bill Lawrence L-450, XL-250 (bridge), L-250 (neck) and since the late 80s he has used Lace Sensor (Gold) "noiseless" pickups. Blackmore's gear was modified by John "Dawk" Stillwell of Dawk Sound Limited ..."

I assume you're using a deent tube amp? then try vintage noiseless for no hum or CS fat 50s for true singles.

nope i'm not using a tube amp. but a very decent hybrid amp. i based my facts on jamming trips using a mesa lonestar.

thanks for the suggestions anyway, i'll look into it.

thanks fuzztremecho too!

kaboom for white strat well done... +1 for write up of single coils pickup.
I'm a big fan of strat, and real men plays strat... =)

i put Lindy's blues spcial set on my strat. To me the VH set is to bright and chimey, i need more punch on it even i lost a bit of high end tone. but i love my blues special. It's a bit warmer tone than Lindy's VHot, but still got twangy on it. Reminesence of 60's strat... nail SRV on it... that's but simply not hot as texas special.
You're right fralin will grow up with the wood age... wish I put it on older strat, sure the tone will be more nicer.

I've try Suhr V60's and V60's LP, the second one is nicer to me though. too much output for the V60's...

Like 69's cshop is so sweet, put it there to other strat. But I'm still prefer Fralin. To me fralin's Blues special is more balance compare with 69's. but everybody has a different taste and perspective. You decide your own tone...

Thanks... =)

ahh nice write up whitestrat =) just a lil surprised to see that there are no reviews of lace sensors, i've got a set of holy grails in my strat, and personally, i think they're pretty awesome, both clean and driven.

any of you guys tried sensors as well?

How about a single coil in the middle?

The neck pup can be a little too boomy/bassy for "strum along oldies", plus a neck pup has a place in METAL! Its so not metal to use the middle pup...

Hmm yeah... could do the HSH kinda configuration..never thought of that.

I think the pickups are not so much genre specific, but more importantly, what kind of tone are you looking for? What do you find wrong with your current stacked hums?

They are good.. wanting a little bit of variation perhaps.

try some seymour duncan quarter pounders. He used them during rainbow era.

surprisingly my texas specials can approximate his tone pretty well too.

I have a 62' Reissue strat and I didn't change the pickups, sounded great though clean.

Would like to know what you guys think of the pup specs?

Latest posts

Back