Who likes single coils?

i keep hearing abt the toneriders... got good reviews on overseas webby too.... where to get them here?

Last edited:
whitestrat, do a review for the lower ends like the american vintages and texas specials too??

i love the overdriven tones im getting from my texas specials, but really, it never hits it on the distortions. never tight enough.. and no matter what pup, i believe that a true metal tone has to come from either the amps or a less bright guitar. strats just seem too high on the bright side to me. the bridge pup doesnt nail it any better as well..

on cleans, have to tweak to get my favourite sparkly cleans. usually, i like position 4 more than position 2. and i use a compressor too. need something that can cover a wider spectrum.. able to go cleaner, and sound better driven too. i dont need some one trick pony, a good workhorse would do..

i love the overdriven tones im getting from my texas specials, but really, it never hits it on the distortions. never tight enough.. and no matter what pup, i believe that a true metal tone has to come from either the amps or a less bright guitar. strats just seem too high on the bright side to me. the bridge pup doesnt nail it any better as well..

on cleans, have to tweak to get my favourite sparkly cleans. usually, i like position 4 more than position 2. and i use a compressor too. need something that can cover a wider spectrum.. able to go cleaner, and sound better driven too. i dont need some one trick pony, a good workhorse would do..

In order to do such a review, I need to have such a set of pups and play with them over time. I don't at this point. If I get the chance to, I'll see what I can do.

You need to understand, you cannot judge a single coil the way one would expect a humbucker to act under gain. There's compression from most high output pups, and most of them would be humbuckers. This compression would give you a tight thick tone, and the distorion would sound very saturated. Even a standard PAF would sound more compressed because of it's humcancelling abilities.

A humbucker on a strat would work for sure. But single coils, mainly because of their relative low winds, and singular point of physical reference (as opposed to 2 points or humbuckers) would have that broken up airy and thin sound compared to a humbucker.

In your case, if you want something usable for nice shimmering cleans and good distortion tones, I'd suggest a HSH guitar, with a low output neck humbucker, and a much hotter bridge pup, with the guitar modded for coil split. But you will have to give up the single coil touch.

For me, a versatile guitar would be a SSH config. Mainly because I like that broken up distortion tone on the neck single as opposed to a heavy thick and articulate neck tone. And a nice medium output bridge to handle that chug.

rights... thanks man, that certainly helped a lot.
i suppose i might be looking to a bridge singlecoil sized humbucker.. guess thats a real feasible method for now.

Sorry just a little side track. Does anyone know how much does the EMG SA single coil cost? A friend told me D*vis at penin got. And how is the pick up?

Latest posts

Back