what type of p/j pickups?

Jaydenial

hi softies,

i have an ibanez gsr190 and i wonder which set of p/j pickups i should get it installed.

im a noob at pickups cause i've been sticking to the stock ones that is already installed on the bass.

i know alot of u are tired on answering such questions cause it relies on personal preference.. but can just explain which pickups give which kind of tone and stuff?? thanks

Last edited:
Yeah man, it all depends a lot of the type of music you wanna play.

There are two types of pickups you wanna choose from:
Active PUPS give you a brighter tone or sound.
Passive PUPS gives you a more rounder tone or feel.

After deciding on the kind of sound that you want, then you can narrow down your search to the "BRANDS" in the market or maybe check out the website on our favourite bassist and see what kind of PUPS he is using...Cheers.

Yeah man, it all depends a lot of the type of music you wanna play.

There are two types of pickups you wanna choose from:
Active PUPS give you a brighter tone or sound.
Passive PUPS gives you a more rounder tone or feel.

After deciding on the kind of sound that you want, then you can narrow down your search to the "BRANDS" in the market or maybe check out the website on our favourite bassist and see what kind of PUPS he is using...Cheers.

so active pups are more for funk and jazz type of sounds issit? forgive me if im wrong cause im a noob at such stuff haha.

and for passive pups, is the sound like the one from Muse ?

Hmmm, jrock huh? Imo, you should go for actives. Gives that extra boost when you do your rifts so you can cut through the mix. Go look around at Davis! :)

so active pups are more for funk and jazz type of sounds issit? forgive me if im wrong cause im a noob at such stuff haha.

and for passive pups, is the sound like the one from Muse ?

Oh no! If anything, Muse is FAR from passives! Haha! But i'd prefer to look at it this way. With actives, you're in the position of choice to switch between passives and the later. But with passive pick-ups alone, it's very much one way from there. So yeah. Hope it helps!

ideal:im still not sure of which pups to fit my guitar ...thought of getting bareknuckles,joe barden,sd seth lover pups..care to share any reviews abt it?

Last edited:
I'd definitely recommend Nordstrands if you want tone that's true to it's vintage roots - really thick and smooth on the P, and fat and funky on the bridge J :)

There also seems to be a misconception that active pups = more aggressive sounding. That's not true. It all depends on the make/quality of the pickups. If you require more versatility, my experience is that you'll fare much better with good quality passive pickups with a good active preamp system, compared to using active pickups with their proprietary preamp systems.

if you play jrock ala laruku, i suggest u get a fresh set o' strings, use a pick and at most, get a bass DI /preamp

if you play jrock ala MUCC, i suggest u get a fresh set o' strings, use a thumb and at most, get a bass DI /preamp

you can spend the rest of your cash on makeup!

Back