What is need for this type of band setup recording...

xxrevilexx

hi can someone tell me more about recording? what are the models of the audio interface that can be used to record:
-3 mics(vocalist)
-1 semi acoustic guitar
-2 electric guitar
-1 bass guitar
-1 acoustic drumset[with(5 drum mics) and (4 cymbal mics/condenser mics)]
-2 keyboard

preferbaly fire wire connection for the mixer... thanks!

for better and more fruitful recommendation, do tell us what you have found out through online research/reading on your own, your budget, preferences of the interface, windows/mac user etc.

the questions you have, are too wide, too diverse and too general to have a direct, easy or straightforward answers.

oooh... hmmm budget?? not really caring about the budget... but the cheaper the better and of course quality first... good standard will be good... and doing live all at one go... not multi tracking ...

Wow! You are looking at 18 inputs to be recorded live...

Well one option is to get a 24 x 8 Mixer (Mackie types) and an 8 I/O recording interface (M-Audio, Digi, Motu, RME, etc.). Then sub mix say gtrs for example unto 1 group and then record these into 1 input of the recording interface and so on...

The second option is to get a 24 x 8 Mixer (Mackie types) and an 2 I/O recording interface (M-Audio, Digi, RME, etc.). Then mix all the tracks into the stereo input of the recording interface

The third option... get a 24 channel or digital recording interface (ProTools), but then this would not be cheap at all...

The fourth option is to just get an 8 channel digital recording interface and then multi-track the band. This would by far, be the cheapest option I think.

actually the cheapest option for one pass recording with discrete tracks
would be something with high i/o but no expandibility like Tascam US-1641..

okok... lol hmmm i want a good sound quality... the best is each mic or cable is connected to the same mixer... which means i want 1 mixer which can plug all 18 in... and the cheapest solution and best sound...

1 mixer, 18 mics, record at same time? Ever wonder how big the recording area need to be and all fully isolated so that no bleed thru occurs with all the mic?

not sure how its going to be done, but it doesnt seem practical to me, imho.

the bleed thru across the 18 mics recording at the same time without any isolation from one another going to be too messy and hard to do post production work with the recorded tracks.

other than cheapest and best, consider practicality as well. Wanna best, then pay for best..

I agree with PatheinRaindropMoe... if you want the best then you need to pay accordingly... maybe you should seriously contemplate setting up your own studio if you are looking at recording 18 inputs simultaneously...

hmmm its not going to be cheap that's for sure...you need to get the hardware down, and you gotta spend quite a bit, still gotta consider baffles/gobos to reduce bleed and if not done right you'll still have unusable tracks..you'll need many mics, an 18 input interface, probably outboard pres and a pretty big space for recording..

hmmm ok... ok i see can anyone list don like step by step what i need like this

1________
Next
2________
Next
3________
Next
4________
Next
5________

thanks!

1. Do more research on the various interface out there

2. Understanding the limitations and ablity of the interface

3. Identify whats possible and whats not for the basic of recording

4. Planning a budget which will cover all the buying needed

5. Read up more on recording basic

6. Understanding that recording is not something that can be listed out in point forms when there are many others who wrote books after books, article after articles on recording practises, tricks and short cut

7. Explore the possibility of multitracking

8. Reading up on multitracking, the advantages, gear and software needed for it.

9. Spend some effort to show others that effort has been made to find out more, before coming here to ask for straightforward answer.

10. Understanding that we love to help, but unfortunately cant help much if not much info are given on what you know, what you dont know, what you have, what you dont have or understand after making the effort to find out on your own, for the questions asked

Back