what amp to buy??

xgamesterz

im getting a new amplifier, but not sure of which to buy. currently looking at marshall mg15cdr, roland cube 15, roland microcube, vox pathfinder 15. pls recommend for me? need advice. thanks

not replacing anything, because im moving on from playing classical and acoustic, so gotta buy an amp with guitar. yep its for practice of course, bedroom usage. np no offense taken. Probably gonna make it double as my desktop's speaker.

my budget is a little tight, so I want to squeeze as much value out of my money as possible. hope people can give me good advice!

if you aren't effects pedals reliant, the current CUBE 30X is recommended. the smaller wattage CUBE aren't quite cutting in terms of tone... if it's within your means, avoid a packaged deal, the amps offered are mostly displeasures...

however, if space is a constraint, consider the MicroCUBE/ VOX DA15...

what about the tone? "cleaness"? im sure i cant afford a 30x! thats why im looking at lower end boxes. you mentioned da15...what about it when compared to pathfinder? and what about the quality of other amps ive stated..are they not worth buying? my budget is around 100

oh and another q...can i use normal speakers to be the output of the electric guitar's signal? will it hurt the speakers/guitar?
ive tried using my acoustic guitar's pickup with that and it worked. the speaker is a typical home usage one.

I've plugged my guitar into the sound card (Audigy 2) and blew it. First the line in and mic fried, followed by the rest of the card. I plugged guitar directly and also through an amp, so one of it blew the card i think.

My first amp is the Cube15 and is very satisfied with it. My friend who used the vox wondered why my distortion sounded so nice (We're both noobs using ibanez lol, so our nice probably is shitty to the experienced). The Cube15 can get freaking loud for its size (1min at 75% in bedroom and ears ringing standing 1m away), but the treble is kindda irritating at higher volumes. If treating as normal speakers, distortion gets obvious at 50% volume. I normally play at around 15-25%.

threadstarter, personally i do favour vox. its just a tone i go for (before i can afford a mesa at least). it has nice cleans and accepts pedals quite well.

omg that must have been painful...audigy 2 is like $100+?

yeah ive heard those from vox fans, so i currently fishing for cubes and pathfinders in soft.

i heard marshal mg15cdr is rather bad for their low end solid state models.. what you guys think? the forum have lots of people selling, but lots are unsold too. must mean something

half-stack or bust babeh!! :twisted:

hd147_halfstack.jpg

i used to own a marshall mg15cdr.
that's when i was a younger player and didn't really
develop a taste in my sound.
playing back on it now i kinda hate it.

where buying an amp is concerned, i'm not sure on what
you plan to do, but i'd suggest you bring your guitar and
a good guitarist friend (for a second opinion) down to try
it out before making a purchase because if your guitar is
anything like mine, you'd have the misfortune of having
a very temperamental guitar when it comes with amp
compatibility. so try out as many reliable brands out there
as possible.

that said, my amp of choice and personal recommendation
would be vox. great clean tones and takes pedals really
well.
if your pocket allows it, try to go for the ad15vt, which is
what i'm using. it will never leave you bored and has a HUGE
array of sounds. every genre you wanna play it can cope
with cause it's a hybrid with 12 amp models from sparkling
cleans to brutal distortion.

if not, with a good overdrive pedal, the pathfinder is great.
i'm not quite content with it without the luxury of another
overdrive pedal to give your sound a little boost cause if my
memory serves me right, it's 1 channel.

i'm not a huge wall-of-sound distortion fan. so if you're
all out metal, maybe you might not want to take my opinion
into too much consideration.

have fun amp shopping.

Hmm.

Last but not least, are you using individual pedals / multi-efx or no-efx at all? Because the above mentioned amplifiers have different characteristics when it comes to accepting pedals.

In my experience, amps with cab simulation / built-in efx generally do not take pedals well. So please do take note. If necessary you might want to test your current set-up with the potential amp you have in mind, and see which amp peroduces the best results for yourself.

Back