Warning: Newstead Technologies

optisailor2002

This is certainly going to be the last time I'm buying anything from them: dubious products and bad customer service.

I bought an Alienware M11x from them at the previous Comex (September 2010) with an additional 2 years warranty for Dell.

So what happens is this:

1. I suspect that the laptop that I purchased is not brand new (not something new I guess!). The laptop came preinstalled with a couple of games, and anti-virus so I thought nothing to complain about, right? But wrong. I went to register my laptop with Dell for the warranty to take effect (1 + 2 years) but Dell notified me that it was already registered once, and I only have effectively slightly more than 8 months of warranty left.

I then headed down to the Somerset branch of the company, and the staff ensured me that after a reformat the Dell warranty will update by itself on the website, but it will take a couple of days (doesn't really sound logical, but yeah, I gave it a go.). Furthermore, the staff mentioned that there is no need for the warranty on the website to update, because I have my receipt to show that there is a 3-year warranty on the laptop.

So all was fine, until the laptop started becoming slow and physical defects started to show (transparent layer of the screen coming out, misalignment of the hinge, etc.). I went to check the warranty status on Dell's website for my Alienware, and now I have barely 70 days of warranty left. And I paid for the additional warranty (it's not much, but it certainly means a lot to me - a student - after saving up and getting a laptop to use in school). Which leads to part II:

2. I called up Newstead and a foreign staff picked up the phone, not understanding what was going on and gave us a number to call her direct superior. This was on Friday. We called the superior, he said that the staff had probably forgotten to file the invoice after Comex, which was why the warranty status wasn't updated, and he asked for our invoice number and stuff so he could check up on it. Fine, so I gave him the invoice number, and he assured me that he would get back to me soon.

So today I called him again, and another colleague picked up the phone and the person in charge is always "busy" or "on the phone" and is unable to talk to us, and assured us that he will call me back. Waited for awhile, and called him back again and same thing happens. And now at 9.30 pm, he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

-----

I am disappointed, having been cheated and sold a 2nd hand laptop for a first hand price, and being sold an additional 2 year warranty yet having only less than 2 months of warranty left even though my laptop is barely 6 months old. Please advice, and meanwhile, please boycott Newstead Technologies.

I have thought about that, but I read CASE's website, it says that for every successful complaint, a fee is imposed on the person lodging the complaint. (and apparently nothing will be done unless enough complaints are garnered.)

So I don't wanna pay anymore extra money for something that doesn't guarantee that I get my full warranty back.

At least my laptop is damaged within what little warranty period that came with it, so I can still get it repaired...

sorry for your experience, if I were you I'd pick a busiest time of the day in their shop with many customers and speak loudly "broadcasting" what happened with your case but remember do not yell as that puts you as aggressive point for them to call security on you. get your friend to stomp cam you, then post it up on stomp.

next time , sim lim square - fuwell. my choice.

The problem is that Newstead runs many shops in both Sim Lim and Funan, so its hard to avoid them. Ever since I last worked for them 6 years ago, they've expanded their business like flies. @notebook.com, Newstead and nübox are just three of the many businesses they run.

Best way to avoid them is to go to those huge shops like Courts, Best Denki, etc to buy a laptop. May be a little bit more pricey or less discounts available, but its a small price to pay for convenience. Or, you can just order from Apple store online if you're looking for a Mac :D

Opti, saw in another forum that their PR assistant wanted you to email him. Let us know the outcome and whether you were able to get your way ;D

I have a couple friends who also bought defective products from Newstead. They too suffered similar bad services. That company has quite a bad reputation already. Recently a news article reported Newstead sold a laptop to a consumer, and it contained another person's legal documents of a divorce case. It's very similar to optisailor's case. Newstead claimed it was a "mix up" when questioned. But I have a twinge of suspicion things may not be that simple.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sing...cuments-found-laptop-20110321-214237-012.html

Here's a tip when buying laptops from Newstead or any shop related to them. Don't let the sales person take the laptop out of the box for you. Ask to take it out of the properly sealed box yourself and check the bottom of the box to see if it has been resealed. Based on their first in first out policy, units that were previously used for display are resealed into the original box and sold off when a new batch of stocks for the same notebook comes in. One new notebook is then used for display and the cycle begins once more.

Here's a tip when buying laptops from Newstead or any shop related to them. Don't let the sales person take the laptop out of the box for you. Ask to take it out of the properly sealed box yourself and check the bottom of the box to see if it has been resealed. Based on their first in first out policy, units that were previously used for display are resealed into the original box and sold off when a new batch of stocks for the same notebook comes in. One new notebook is then used for display and the cycle begins once more.

That was what I noticed when they took the box out, there were quite a number of layers of tape on the cover already, and they said that it was to "check" the serial number of the laptop. Didn't think much about it then, but now it's really suspicious.

theliverevolution: saw your replies on my thread at Sgclub also, thanks for your views! I already emailed the person who left his email there, hopefully he gets back to me soon! So far seems legit, the email did not bounce back!

Newstead Technologies has a few outlets selling different brands of laptops and desktops. If you are smart, never buy a laptop at any IT Fair. It is not wise as everything is done in a rush. Bound to have mistakes. The price difference is also not really that great. Don't believe me , get the brochure and compare it to the exact same model at challenger AFTER the IT Fair.

Prices of IT products are very competitive all year round. No point squeezing like sardines at IT fairs.

Back