Vox Valvetronix + Mesa 12AX7, Good idea?

Xypher

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...1&pp=20&highlight=attention+valvetronix+users

I read this thread at UG. This valvetronix owner swapped the tube out of the vox with a mesa 12AX7 and claims that the high gain tones have improved significantly. The cleans are not negatively affected as well.

Amp pros, do you think that this is a reliable claim? Its a really interesting mod-job to do, if it works. My fingers are itching already..But i wont do anything unless it is gonna be worth it.

Where to buy the mesa valve anyway?!?! I havent seen any singaporean shop selling..

I dun know about that..All he said is mesa 12ax7.. Anyway, does it seem possible that it improves as much as the guy from UG claims ?

Yea i saw a few online stores carrying "mesa 12ax7".. But the important thing now is that if it is even worth the time moding.. If wat the threadstarter at UG claims is true, its really worth it..

Yea i was plannin to try.. After next week i should be free enough to spend quality time with my amp:).

But then where to find that tube in singapore? Buying just one from online is abit leceh

At the same time i may fix that scratchy master volume pot..

its pretty known that some big name amplifer maker dont make their own tubes.

from some of the info online, Currently, theres only very few tube making factory in the whole world. The procees of manufacturing is kinda banned/or heavily controlled in some countries due to enviromental issue.

Most of the tubes available commercially and still in regular production, all seem to come from the usual place, russia, czech or china it seem.

lotsa amp maker, they get their tubes from these maker and test it to their standard, restamped their own brand name on it and put it in the amp.

i dont think you can find the mesa tube easily locally. Perhaps can look for mesa owner who wanna swap their preamp tube to other type, then can buy from them

But if you wanna find other brand of tubes to try(theres lots other well known, popular 12ax7 tubes available and easier to find locally than the mesa one i guess), google for burlington square. Theres shops there selling tubes for hi fi. Its the same for tube amp. But you gotta know what you wanna, coz they prolly dont do guitar amp talk, more to audio hi fi.

Yup, you better know what you gonna buy from burlington. If you are looking for suggestion at store front - forget it. Tube amp shop uncle once told me - "Guitar amp no need good tubes one. Just get those entry level ones, like EHX can already.." Wow, what advise is this? Pathein is right. They more inclined towards audiopile tubes selection.

Back