Vintage Drums

BebopIggy

Hi All,

Just wondering anyone of you have are crazy about vintage drums/ gear like me.

My dream drumkit is a 50's or 60's Gretsch bebop kit with a 18" x 14" BD, 12" x 8" Tom, 14" x 14" FT and a Ludwig Black Beauty snare drum. Seems like I will need to buy it at ebuy, but provided I have the money.

Anyone loves vintage gears?

hey man, i had my hands ard some really old premier sets, damn they sounded awesome i tell u. i heard u got to becareful with gretsch cause they quality control is really shitee.
black beauties are really nice man.

blurred said:
hey man, i had my hands ard some really old premier sets, damn they sounded awesome i tell u. i heard u got to becareful with gretsch cause they quality control is really shitee.
black beauties are really nice man.

Wow, do you own them? How old are the drums?

The quality control back in the early days can't be compared to the present times. Not all K cymbals made in the 40's or 50's are worth the money too.

60's round badge i think, they belong to my lectuer. the premier's i dunno man. he had to do some restoration to them cause suppositely u can't use modern skins with old gretsch's unless u do some modifications to the wrap or something. he had this old radioking that sounded pretty bloody aweful up close, but it supposeitely records like a dream

Joshie, I believe you are talking about the ROGERS drums that Nigel has. I think the bassdrum that is up on the rack is not worth much, but the set of toms that is in the studio I believe is made back in the 70's. This is worth to buy.

He has 2 Ludwig Acolite snare drums that is made in the early 70's, which is more of a entry level snare drum back then.

The last time I spoke to him, which was about 2 weeks back, he mentioned that he has not decided whether to put them up for sale yet.

blurred said:
60's round badge i think, they belong to my lectuer. the premier's i dunno man. he had to do some restoration to them cause suppositely u can't use modern skins with old gretsch's unless u do some modifications to the wrap or something. he had this old radioking that sounded pretty bloody aweful up close, but it supposeitely records like a dream

wah say, the 60's round badge! They should sound awesome! Stanton Moore is using one of such set, and from the recording it sounds so warm.

Seems like not alot of drummers on this forum are that interested in vintage gears.

Btw, I walk pass this shop selling a lot of old stuff and casually asked the boss whether he has any old drums or cymbals. He mentioned that he has an old cymbal, but not too sure where it's placed now. I had left my contact no. with him, hopefully he can find it. Also, hope that it is a gem!!!

yo bro, i do have Gretsch's maple shell 1954 kit :D it's an 18"kick with 12"&14"toms. Currently i removed all the hardware on these drums cos i'm replacing it with new ones. I also have 2 maple deep Premier 1970's deep snare and a 60's maple ludwig snare :D :D

i got it back in 1989 from an old timer, mr sharif, a jazz drummer who're popular back in the 60s.. the shell's still in very good condition, it's maple, so there's no worry about condition and sound..
Darryl Ervin do have a 50s Gretsch maple jazz kit too. Think he's back in the states for awhile and will come back here next month..

ahpek1 said:
i got it back in 1989 from an old timer, mr sharif, a jazz drummer who're popular back in the 60s.. the shell's still in very good condition, it's maple, so there's no worry about condition and sound..
Darryl Ervin do have a 50s Gretsch maple jazz kit too. Think he's back in the states for awhile and will come back here next month..

I heard of Mr Shariff before. Vintage gears are so difficult to get in Singapore.

Back