Unstable Voice?

growlingsoulpup

Hi guys, would like some advice on a problem I've been having. Recently my voice has been rather unstable. Some days it can be great and clear and I can sing in my full range comfortably without much strain, but some days it feels like there's a frog in my throat: lots of flam, inability to project clearly, pitching goes awry etc.

On those occasions even my falsetto, which I can normally access easily, feels very strained, thin and contrived. This rather puzzles me because I generally take quite good care of my throat: I don't really smoke, drink liquor or eat weird stuff.

The only thing I can think of is either that my voice doesn't take kindly to air-con (since school started I've been in air-con 9 to 9 every day). This would account for the flam and stuff, although I'm still not very sure why its so volatile.

Possibly, it could also be bad vocal technique? I've never really had much formal training, picking up tips here and there and through observation. Recently though due to a mix of laziness and desire to sound more grungy I've been using more of the throat to hit high notes. Perhaps that's why my voice has been so ravaged?

Would like to hear what you guys have to say on this. Thanks a lot everyone in advance.

Personally, I'd advise you to lubricate your throat sufficiently during singing, and drink plenty of water in your daily routine.

Lubricate as in take sips of water and not drink gulps when singing because some people tend to dry up when singing, especially in an airconditioned environment.

Before singing, I'd advise you to warm up your body by taking a light jog. I guarantee you will find it easier to sing.

Of course do the necessary vocal exercises will help tremendously too.

:)

Common problem.
Basically, Talking will swell your cords making it hoarse. This in return will cause problems in coordinating in singing. Perform vocal silence for at least 2 to 3 hours before singing and start with a warm up is a habit you cannot go without.
Building up of fatigue also affects performance of vocal cords just like any muscles, your vocal cords get overworked and would want to take a break.

yeah, i'd agree 100% with the jogging thing. it helps warm up your lungs and exercise your diaphragm (or whatever it is that helps you sing).
yes, this would explain why our voice is better at night than in the morning, coz we just woke up and all our voice organs haven't warmed up yet.
for me, usually i'd do at least 1km run, then bath, then only sing.

also, the air con part is right too. cold and dry air is the last thing you'd want to be singing with. same concept as earlier, the opposite effect as to warming up. and the dry air would make your throat dry and sore. in my choir previously we'd swallow a spoonfull of butter to lubricate our throats before competitions, but as for whether it really helps, idk.

i'd also recommend lots of humming before actually singing. since humming doesnt strain your voice, and its a good "warming up" exercise.

good luck :D hope you can solve your problems.

yeah, i'd agree 100% with the jogging thing. it helps warm up your lungs and exercise your diaphragm (or whatever it is that helps you sing).
yes, this would explain why our voice is better at night than in the morning, coz we just woke up and all our voice organs haven't warmed up yet.
for me, usually i'd do at least 1km run, then bath, then only sing.

also, the air con part is right too. cold and dry air is the last thing you'd want to be singing with. same concept as earlier, the opposite effect as to warming up. and the dry air would make your throat dry and sore. in my choir previously we'd swallow a spoonfull of butter to lubricate our throats before competitions, but as for whether it really helps, idk.

i'd also recommend lots of humming before actually singing. since humming doesnt strain your voice, and its a good "warming up" exercise.

good luck :D hope you can solve your problems.

Infact the best time to sing is when you have just woke up, where all your muscles are so relaxed to perform at their best. Definitely, warm ups are needed. :D

Back