TUBE AMP FAQs

worldwithoutlines

Hi, tried searching round this forum but found nothing close to a tube amp faq.
Sorry if the thread seems redundant, but I wish to know more about tube amps and I'm sure other guitarists who are totally new to it wishes to know more. By opening this thread alone I wish that questions will be asked in a single thread, without the need to open new threads.

I'm getting my cabinet today and I can't wait. I haven't turned out my amp for at least 3 months now, is there anything I should do before turning it on? And where or who do I personally go to get it biased before changing the power tubes?

Inputs much appreciated!

I think there is a fair amount of material on the web for electric guitar amps. Just need to spend a bit of time searching for it.

In essence, the key points that a layman needs to account for with tube amps is the much higher voltages, the presence of tubes in both the pre and the power amp, the model of tubes, the act of biasing at the recommended settings and the periodic replacement of tubes from time to time.

Another suggestion I can think of is to look up the online manuals of some tube amps as they do have general information that can be applied to all tube amps.

For example, from the Diezel website:

--------

Chapter One: Safety and Warranty

1.1 Safety warnings
We would like to stress the importance of the following points, for reasons of your personal safety, product longevity and product liability.
• Do not use the Amplifier in or near wet locations
• Do not store the Amplifier in damp or wet locations
• Do not operate the Amplifier on voltages other than those designated on the rear panel of the amplifier.
• Do not open the panels of the amplifier. No user serviceable parts inside.
Your Einstein operates on very high internal voltages, which may still be present after the Amplifier has been turned off and disconnected for a while.
• Do not use the Amplifier for anything other than its designed purpose: To
Amplify Electric Guitar Signals
• Do not use fuses other than those intended and specified for the Amplifier
• Do not use 2-conductor extension cords or anything other than 3-pole grounded outlets for this appliance. Your life may depend on it! Please observe the following points when transporting your Einstein: Einstein is a tube-powered amplifier; therefore it is sensitive to shock especially after playing the amplifier for a while. Please store and transport your amplifier gently and try to avoid extreme temperatures, which might produce condensation, resulting in moisture on internal components. Usually a 60 Minute acclimatization period is sufficient to ensure safe operation.
The amplifier should be stored in a controlled environment, and it should be transported in a suitable flight case. Make sure the amplifier gets transported in its normal operating position, not upside down or on its side.
The Einstein’s design incorporates a very potent power amplifier. It is configured to deliver satisfying guitar tones at most volume levels. In its normal operational volume level (75-80dB) it will provide beautiful tones with very little coloration. For reasons of your own safety, please do not run the amplifier above these levels for extended periods of time without wearing a hearing protection. Hearing Loss is a long-term ailment, and is not normally curable.

1.2 Warranty
Excluded from this warranty are all vacuum tubes and any abuse done to the
amplifier. Also excluded from this warranty are damages resulting from failing to follow the Safety Warnings mentioned in the section 1.1.

Chapter Two: Using Your Einstein
2.1 Mains Connections, Power and Standby
2.1.1 Mains/Connection to Power Outlet
Please make sure that both switches (Power and Standby) are in the off position before connecting to the mains circuit. Verify line voltage before connecting the power cord. Never start Einstein without connecting speakers to the proper terminals. (See 3.2.5)

2.1.2 Power up, Warm up, Standby off
First, turn the Power switch to on (facing up). The indicator light will turn on.
This starts the tube heating process. After about 40 seconds, the tubes should be sufficiently heated for normal operation. Your Einstein is then ready for operation and the standby switch can be turned to “run” (also facing up). Premature activation of the standby switch will lead to unnecessary tube stress and subsequent reduction of the power tube’s life span.

2.1.3 Power Tube Caution
Tubes are electronic components that function only with vacuum intact and under very high operating temperatures. Each tube has one or more heating filaments, much like a light bulb. These filaments heat up the anode of the tube. If you switch the standby switch to the “run” position before these anodes have reached their operating temperature (when the anode surfaces are not heated evenly), this causes undue stress to the tubes and their related components inside the amp. Always give the amp its much needed warm-up time, even if musical inspiration hits you with a full force.

2.1.4 Operating Temperature
It will take a little more time after warm-up until everything inside the amp is working in sync and to its fullest potential. A trained ear will notice a slightly warmer tone and better complexity in tone after playing the amp for a short while. It’s like stretching before exercising.

2.1.5 Power Tube Life
The power tubes of your amplifier are subjected to a certain aging process. Once signs of aging, such as unreliability or unusual noise, are detected, we suggest that you replace all power tubes at once. Matched tube sets age relatively evenly, so our experience suggests. This means that if one goes, the others are not far from meeting the same fate. The aging process manifests itself by a depletion of a thin layer of wolfram on the anodes. This can take anywhere from 6 month to 3 years, depending on the amount of use of the amplifier.

4.2 Pre-amplifier Tubes
The pre-amps are equipped with 12AX7 tubes in all positions. The pre-amp tubes are not designed to produce high power output. Therefore, their life expectancy is much higher than that of the power amplifier tubes. This is not to undermine their utter importance in overall sound and response of the amplifier. Also, annoying defects like crackling noises and low dynamics are directly related to defective pre-amp tubes. Like all other tubes, 12AX7 tubes come in many different gain stages, and offer a wide variety of tonal behavior. Our choice for production was made to ensure a wide variety of tones, with low noise and good reliability.

4.2.1 Microphonics and Bad Noises
The overall performance of pre-amp tubes is easily influenced by external mechanical factors. Malfunction in these external components will manifest themselves by a sudden, high-pitched feedback sound. The input stage is especially suspect to these phenomena. If one encounters microphonic tube behavior, then the first tube should be checked as a rule. Pre-Amplifier tubes can also cause a hum or other bad noises, like crackling or ticking.

Chapter Five: Power Amplifier
5.2 Power Amplifier Tubes
5.2.1 Function
As the name suggests, the power amp section is the part of the amplifier that produces output power, measured in watts. Preamp signals are sent to the power amp(s), which amplifies this signal to a level that is acceptable for loudspeakers. Guitar amplifiers utilize several different types of power amps, which differ in output power and tone. We chose the tube type power amplifier for its tried and true performance and familiar tonal behavior.

5.2.2 Selection
Diezel Co. installs the most reliable and best sounding tubes that are currently available in sufficient quantities. So it is possible that tube brand and tube type will change during production. You can fine-tune your Einstein by having different type and brands of tubes installed, however, it is imperative that the amp is biased properly. Einstein utilizes 4 power tubes, organized in 2 pairs with dual bias possibility. This allows use of 2 different pairs of power tubes, either the same or the different types. Yes, this means that in a 4- tube Einstein, you can mix 6550’s with EL34’s, or 6L6’s with KT88’s etc. Cool!

A quick and a general overview of the most common tube types for the Einstein:
EL34/6CA7: aggressive, slender low end, higher total harmonic distortion
Recommended bias: 30-35mA
5881/6L6: great tube for clean sounds, good blues tone, also strong bass and excellent clarity.
Recommended bias: 25-35mA 6550: very loud, very good dynamics, strong low end, amazingly percussive. Recommended bias: 40-60mA
KT88/KT100: similar to 6550, but very punchy with great clarity and warmth. Expensive. Recommended bias: 35-50m

5.2.3 Life Span
Power tubes last 1 to 3 years, depending on care, volume and frequency of use of the amplifier. If you use your amp only once a month, then the tubes will last much longer. Really. We have heard tubes that are over 10 years old, but it was not a good thing. Tubes age very slowly; slow enough for the artist to get used to the changing tone. To keep things fresh, and to keep your tube dealer in business, we recommend re-tubing, cleaning and biasing once a year if the amp is used frequently.

Last edited:
Thank you so much.

The amp is a Laney GH50L I bought from a fellow Softie.
The cab is a 2x12.

Hooked it up and stuff, enjoyed it so far since I've got the cab.
I don't know whether I am deaf or anything, but it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be.
I stay in a HDB flat and I the master volume went past 5 and it wasn't as loud when I first tested it. Is this something serious?

Yeah I got it warmed up for at least 20 minutes or so...
When I first tested it at the previous owner's place it was really loud at the master set around 3. Was a little curious when it was 'softer' at my place. Could it be the cab?

Thank you so much.

The amp is a Laney GH50L I bought from a fellow Softie.
The cab is a 2x12.

Hooked it up and stuff, enjoyed it so far since I've got the cab.
I don't know whether I am deaf or anything, but it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be.
I stay in a HDB flat and I the master volume went past 5 and it wasn't as loud when I first tested it. Is this something serious?

50watts should be loud as hell.

Did you connect to your speakers via the Speaker Out or via the Line Out.

The Line Out signal is weaker and meant for other uses.

Strange... Especially if your speaker is a 2x12". Like JMguitars said, it could be the Line out vs speaker out. If not, then there could be a problem with your cab.

Better check that it isn't the line out, if it is, and the speaker out has 0 load, your OT will very likely get damaged.

Dude! Great to hear that you've finally got your cab and my opinion is the same as JM on the volume issue. I can hardly go pass 2 when I played with it. At 2, your whole room would probably be shaking. I can only reach 5 if i'm using the attenuator. Do check your connections. The speaker inputs are the ones which are circled on the rear panel. Laneys are loud as hell man.

Stop cranking past 5 on the amp for now..check your tubes.make sure they are seating properly.
try different speaker cable.

as for biased,you can learn yourself if you want.ton of infos on the web.
im using tedweber bias rite.

or you can send to randolf for biasing.

What's the impedance of your cabinet/speakers? You need to make sure that the impedance matches your amp. I think the GH50L supports 4 different speaker configs: 1 x 16 ohm, 2 x 16 ohm, 1 x 8 Ohm, 2 x 8 ohm. If the impedance doesn't match it will change the volume and tone. It can also be dangerous to both the amp and speakers.

Here's a good read regarding tube amps. It's good to share, :)

Here's a general FAQ,
euro-i

Here's one that provides detailed biasing instructions,
euro-q

The cabinet has only 1 jack, rated at 16 ohms. I connected it to the 16 ohm speaker inputs. I bought the cables from Swee Lee which they took out from a stack and gave it to me without any packaging or whatsover saying it's "custom made". I felt kinda stupid after buying it but I couldn't wait to test the cabinet. It could be either the cable orspeakers. I'll try changing the cables and what cables do you guys recommend? Thanks for the replies, really helps. Really odd, I could even play in the middle of the night with the master set around 3. Hahaha...

Sorry but to play that laney at 3 in the middle of the night = something terribly wrong with your setup. Remember that time that you were testing it my place? The volume that you were playing is probably at 1.

When you get cables, remember to get SPEAKER cables and NOT instrumental cables. They're not the same. As for recommendations, I recommend RDM cables. Just send cherns a PM for quotes. :)

actually if u don't know what you're doing best not to mess around with it, especially the speaker cable. You could easily blow your transformer.

Okay, I shall message him for a quote and get the new cables by this weekend at least. I know I should be using speaker cables as I've read about those before, the guy at SL probably ripped me off. I doubt it's the head that is causing problems. I'll test it at the end of the week and see if things get better. Can't afford to blow the amp up...

Back