Trying to get fit by January...any tips to get me started?

growlingsoulpup

Hi guys, my NS is coming in a few months and NAPFA is in January...any tips on how to get me started on regular exercise? My problem is always establishing a routine...any tips on that?

Join a sport that requires physical strength.That way you can develop a love for that sport and keep fit at the same time.

I did so by joining a dragonboat team.The sport is sure to make you fit.

Dragonboat is too time consuming, if you ask me. Depending on where you are from, if you were in poly, get used to the habit of hitting the gym 3 times a week and do lots of cardio and compound exercises. IPPT IS easy to train for, you just have to be the type who trains progressively and constantly.

Well thats why it keeps you fit.The sports main objective is to train up the rowers.Tell you the truth,gyming alone wont do much help.You must at least get active in a sport that requires you to use various muscle groups.

My problem is always establishing a routine...any tips on that?

That means you're weak in discipline? Then no matter how people here suggest, you'll never really get fit. Doing sports is a great way of keeping fit, but not getting fit.

The best way is to hit the gym, and concentrate on your crunches, stretching, running and pull ups.

OR, the highly recommended way is to FAIL your NAPFA, and go for the PTP training in the army. THAT will get you fit for BMT, and you'll find BMT very relaxing after that...

Trust me. I speak from experience...:twisted:

Enjoy life before u get into NS. Life will never be the same again after that. No, it's not the same even after you get out.

That means you're weak in discipline? Then no matter how people here suggest, you'll never really get fit. Doing sports is a great way of keeping fit, but not getting fit.

The best way is to hit the gym, and concentrate on your crunches, stretching, running and pull ups.

OR, the highly recommended way is to FAIL your NAPFA, and go for the PTP training in the army. THAT will get you fit for BMT, and you'll find BMT very relaxing after that...

Trust me. I speak from experience...:twisted:

Haha, yes I'll admit that when it comes to physical fitness I'm a big-time slacker. Problem is that I'm not very fit so whenever I start on a routine I get easily worn out, and I tend to give up easily. Which becomes a vicious cycle...do you guys have any tips for overcoming this? How to "pyscho" myself etc? Hahah.

My current job involves quite demanding hours so I was hoping for a sport that wouldn't be too time-consuming, or can only be done at certain places. Any ideas?

"gyming alone won't help you much"

I achieved 11 chin ups from never imagining I could even do 1 in the space of a few months. Since you're a dragonboater I won't argue much, as I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you know your stuff. But if you can hit the gym consistently, and do both running and weights, you can do well for your Napfa. The only problem I had was that I scored silver for all the stations, but my 2.4 was TERRIBLE because I never did any cardio especially in the form of running during my poly days.

Maybe the TS can explain what stations you have problems in? For 2.4, all I have to say is, just keep timing yourself, and try to run further than 2.4, say 5km or so. This will improve your cardio tremendously, if you totally don't do any running at all, like how I was pre-Army. For chin ups, I figured there was only 1 way I could do them(I was skinny back then), I had to add muscle to my arms and back, and weight training, and ONLY weight training helped me in that. I don't see how you can improve in chin ups much if you are hitting 0 everytime you mount the bar unless you are fat(get lighter) or not strong enough(get stronger).

For SBJ, I'm just pretty natural so that and sit ups for me were the easiest.

Anyway, the current system makes you ORD same time as the enhanced batch, so it's not as bad as me who ORDed 1 month after my enhanced peers(makes a BIG difference if you are in my unit). I don't regret going to PTP though, although I feel that many enhanced batch soldiers were even worst off in fitness than me when I first entered army(I was a BMT instructor). The only problem most recruits face is mostly chin ups and SBJ. For chin ups, don't wait till you enter the army. Trust me on this, you will enjoy more early book outs and late book ins just because your chin up is a pass. FACT: Army training does NOT help with pull ups much, even if you do every training with 100% effort, you will not improve your pull ups much there.

For chin up can buy those chin up bar that can mount on narrow walls or doorway. If you can do at least 1, definitely can improve if you train regularly.

I'm thinking my main problems will be with 2.4 and pull ups like you mentioned, so thanks for the advice. I'm not so sure about the sit-ups and sit-and-reach: I have a back condition that acts up randomly. If it does I can't do any at all. If it doesn't, I can get gold for both easily. SBJ is also no problem.

same here. suck at pull ups and 2.4

3 years ago - my 2.4 was 12mins
now - 17:30mins (this was LOL. 84 coursemates took 2.4, 12 passes only. read:pASSES, not 5 pts)

3 years ago - 8 chin ups
now - 3 chin ups

3 years ago - 40 sit ups
now - 60 sit ups

got 5 points for first 2 stations, got too optimistic already. at last FAIL.

18 and 19 years olds are the hardest for NAPFA. its the peak.

Just curious.Will chin ups for napfa and army be any different?Cause as far as I know.We can choose any style of chin up position for Napfa.The same cannot be said for Army right?Plus there's a standard for chin ups like no kicking,half **** chin up etc?

get some stouts... have it every nite... at least 5 bottles. the nite of ur test, do the same...
the next day u'll be fresh n ready

Haha, yes I'll admit that when it comes to physical fitness I'm a big-time slacker. Problem is that I'm not very fit so whenever I start on a routine I get easily worn out, and I tend to give up easily. Which becomes a vicious cycle...do you guys have any tips for overcoming this? How to "pyscho" myself etc? Hahah.

My current job involves quite demanding hours so I was hoping for a sport that wouldn't be too time-consuming, or can only be done at certain places. Any ideas?

Like I said, sports will help you FEEP FIT. That's assuming you ALREADY are fit. It will not help you GET FIT.

I have a friend who plays soccer as a striker every weekend. Can you believe he failed his IPPT?

To get fit, it is a routine of excercises. and discipline. Trust me. Go fail the NAPFA, go for the PTP... It will do you good.

nice thread.. i've got army enlistment in abt 1 year plus and i'm extremely unfit.

just took my napfa. i nearly died when i ran 2.4.

timing was 17:30mins too! high5 theunknown!

3 years ago i could do 50+ situps, and now, 33. gosh i lost to many girls. damn embarrasing. i'm not obese btw, i'm damn skinny.

whitestrat, whats PTP? from my knowledge i only know point-to-point...

whatever it is don't waste your time/effort doing push ups cos it doesn't help your chin ups, contrary to popular belief.

chin up bars FTW. install one at home, pull everyday and chin ups will be chicken feed in due time.

and running's good. it improves your running/cardiovascular stamina, leg strength, helps you lose weight and keep to optimum weight, which helps in chin ups and standing board jumps too.

and hit the gym!

stairs are good too. 1 tip: use the stairs instead of the lift.

go swimming! relaxing, low joint impact and good for fitness.

eat right, sleep well, drink enough water.

BTW for those of you soon to be army recruits, i believe the SAF will give you a fitness manual (can't remember if it's by post, collected at CMPB or issued on enlistment). go read it, useful and practical.

for more tips, talk to your friendly pulau tekong PTIs, who will be more than glad to help you get into fighting fit shape ;)

Last edited:
I have a friend who plays soccer as a striker every weekend. Can you believe he failed his IPPT?

not strange bro. have you also heard that there are some professional local footballers who are pes C?

you may have also heard of or seen some people who can pass SOC yet fail IPPT (a very special minority, i might add). strange but true. but SOC is much tougher than IPPT anyway. SOC really tests your combat fitness, while IPPT is to test physical fitness, which are 2 different things anyway.

running the SOC day in, day out makes the IPPT 2.4km run a breeze :twisted:

Last edited:
You die... Go army, passing time is 12:20. :twisted:

Stop being negative. I pushed my timing from 15mins+(or worse) in poly to slightly above 10 mins in BMT. Running is one of the easiest to train and improve. Chin ups, not so easy. Especially if you enter army doing 0.

Dime, chin ups for army can be done in 3 styles - pronated, supinated and a mixed grip. But you must straighten your elbows all the way, and no violent kicking and of course, chin above the bar. I remember failing recruits who try to test the system back in BMT. It doesn't matter if you can do 10 half-f**k chin ups, it will still be counted as zero.

And take all the stuff you learn from army with a pinch of salt. Doing push ups will not improve your chin ups, as opposed to what many people in the army may tell you.

And SOC(full rundown) is definitely harder than ippt. You don't feel like you're going to die the first time you do IPPT. Most people don't get their rank in command school because of their SOC, pity them especially when you pass first time and they do it over 10 times and still fail, even till the day of the POP.

Last edited:
whitestrat, whats PTP? from my knowledge i only know point-to-point...

Physical Training Program. Conducted 1 month before your BMT in the BMT camp. REALLY gets you in shape. You'll do your route march with no sweat compared to those who didn't go through the PTP.

Back