tone

kuang89

i'm thinking about a few things regarding tone, i heard a few ideas from various ppl saying tat any guitarist will sound like themselves no matter wat guitar they play (not talking about fret vs fretless) like slash would sound like slash on any 2 humbucking guitars, hendrix would sound like hendrix and so on, which lead me to think that does tone have to do wif the amount of force we exert on the strings? wif a higher tension, the note will definately change right? can anyone shed sum light regarding tone?

tone, imho: is...
icon10.gif

(1) style of playing

(2) Phrasing

(3) dynamics

(4) psychological state of the one listening

(5) familarity of style/phrasing/dynamic of the geetar player, according to the listener

(6) combination of some of the above

(7) same type of music which geetar player have been playing and thus having a "signature" way of playing even if the music have different melody but still working within the limitation of 21/22/24/27 frets of geetar without new gadgets to spice up life like spice gurls did in the 90s

(8 ) Creating a unique interpretation of geetar playing with the geetar through technique(instead of gadgets) and thus known for that "special" "tone" aka (1)

(9) from listener pov, "same same, but different", , from geetar player pov, "different, but same same"

10) Internet geetar forums myth and legend overblown

*disclaimer: if the above caused disturbance in any ways, i dont meant it to be. There no way the above points are of absolute constant. It is more of variables then anything else. Dont be too serious when tone is concern but music aint sounding right

Last edited:
tone, imho: is...
icon10.gif

(1) style of playing

(2) Phrasing

(3) dynamics

(4) psychological state of the one listening

(5) familarity of style/phrasing/dynamic of the geetar player, according to the listener

(6) combination of some of the above

(7) same type of music which geetar player have been playing and thus having a "signature" way of playing even if the music have different melody but still working within the limitation of 21/22/24/27 frets of geetar without new gadgets to spice up life like spice gurls did in the 90s

(8 ) Creating a unique interpretation of geetar playing with the geetar through technique(instead of gadgets) and thus known for that "special" "tone" aka (1)

(9) from listener pov, "same same, but different", , from geetar player pov, "different, but same same"

10) Internet geetar forums myth and legend overblown

*disclaimer: if the above caused disturbance in any ways, i dont meant it to be. There no way the above points are of absolute constant. It is more of variables then anything else. Dont be too serious when tone is concern but music aint sounding right

kudos to PatheinRaindropMoe..very much appreciated..

in my opinion, this is a very subjective topic..some ppl like this, and some ppl like that..haha

tone is something u feel actually,and of course it relys much on dynamics, even the guitar and the amp itself will make the player produce better tone..

Back