Tips on bass upgrading

Slash04

Hey i'm currently using a warwick rockbass streamer5. Got it at last year's swee lee sale and as of now, no modding had been done to it. I'm pretty sure i'm not getting the best of my bass, or maybe i'm skeptic but in any case i dunno how i should approach with this modding business. I also realised that there may be other "noob" bassists around like me who have no idea what to do with their bass. So Yar... I made this thread!

Any idea how i can pimp my bass to give it better tone/look/action/anything?

the world of bass "zeng-ing" is quite subjective actually ...

you have so many options out there that it is limitless and endless.

One tip of course would to be ... do your research, means just take the time to visit manufacturer's website and check out what they offer, how it modifies your tone/look/feel of the bass and see if that's what you really need at that point of time.

1 note definitely would to check if that particular item/part you want to zeng fits first of all. You wanna ensure that you don't drill too many holes in your bass to find that it doesn't fit at all, so a good tool to have lying around would to be either a simple ruler or a measuring tape to measure parts on your bass and see if it tallies with the dimensions of the parts you wanna buy to mod your bass.

Basically, unless or otherwise your bass is falling apart, you may just very well not want to mod your bass. Sometimes modding you bass may mean that the total mod cost will cost equal or more than the original price of your bass itself, and if you want to sell it off, adding all the mod cost together with the original price of your bass may not very well appeal to anyone at all. So that's really something to consider.

Unless or otherwise you are seriously sure you'll be sticking with this bass for life, then go ahead and zeng it upside down, but, with all the GAS going around, it's pretty likely that you'll develop new GAS in the future. I learnt the hard way ... hahahah ...

So yeah, do your research ... and you'll be okay ...

i have the rockbass streamer as well. 4 string though. no diff in the pickup type or dimensions cos it's a 4/5 string model.

i know what it lacks. the pickups arent fantastic, they lack some definition and output.

changing pickups might help. so far the only exact model i've seen that replaces the dimensions of the stock pickup is the bartolini X44CBJS/CBJD pickups. there might be other similar ones but that you have to do your own research.

alternatively, like what i'm thinking of as well, is to add an onboard preamp. these are little electronics you put inside the guitar that would enhance your tone. they also feature on-the-fly eq-ing as some of your tone knobs on your bass would be able to control the bass/treble/mids. you then wouldnt need to lean over to your amp to modify the eq.

this would make your bass active. active basses have a battery in them, unlike passive ones. what makes them different in tone is the 'hi-fi' quality you get out of them. they have less noise, are cleaner and more present sounding.

passive basses (like ours) have no battery in them. they have a more 'vintage' tone and sound more 'loose'. i hope you get the picture.. (i mean.. sound =p)

you can find onbard preamps like Aguilar, EMG or even MEC ones. of course there are even almost unaffordable higher end ones like the U-retro or others.

also, another option is to get an outboard or floor preamp like the hartke bass attack (which i own) or a sansamp BDDI. these work rougly the same way as an onboard preamp except that they have more features like tube amp simulation. the hartke is relatively cheaper at abt $130 and performs its task quite well. the sansamp BDDI is more than twice the price and is in some ways, better.

you just have to do your own research like the man exin says. to see what suits your needs and preferences. hope i've been of some help. ;)

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that most stock onboard preamps aren't worth using. You'd probably be better off re-wiring your electronics to bypass the preamp completely and then upgrade your caps/pots.

On that note... anyone know if SL tower sells CTS pots and orange drop caps?

Caps = capacitors (the little things that are sometimes soldered on pots)
Pots = potentiometers (i.e. your vol/tone/blend)

Well, it really depends.

If your pots are scratchy, then yes.
If you can tell the differences between a good and bad cap for your tone pot, then yes.

cherns,

maybe you should start bringing in some onboard preamp upgrades too... maybe Audere? ;)
By the way, having fun with the pickups I got from you.

sorry to hijack this thread... but with regards to bass EFFECTS upgrading...

anyone knows a site that teaches the basics of pedal mod-ing?

Sorry if i'm no help in this post:

But the best starting point for modding basses is to have a Precision or Jazz bass. Its all about availability of replacement parts! The worst case I can think of for common basses is Yamaha BB series (vintage style), due to their pickup size. SX basses as I read are built to Fender MIM specs, so thats another nice place to start the journey. U can even know what pickguard to buy at the end when aesthetics come in!

hey 3notes ...

yeah .. you're right about the BB series .. or basically any BB whether vintage or modern ones .. like the N5A or G5A .. or the TRB series ... modding them is tough.

e.g. the BBN5A which i own .. has a recessed slot on the body for the bridge .. the pickups are extremely long .. as in the width across the strings itself .. so i have to buy a 6-string pickup to fit a 5 string bass ..

but i'm very happy with yamaha sound .. i think their pickups have their own unique characteristics ..

you're right also on the P or J mod .. starting with either a P or J is the best place to start .. 4 strings ... due to the parts available .. you can mod it upside down .. freakabass

maybe you should start bringing in some onboard preamp upgrades too... maybe Audere? Wink
By the way, having fun with the pickups I got from you.

Once the Nordstrand preamp is sorted out, I'll be bringing that in. Glad you're enjoying the pickups!

hey guys, i juz gt a epi les paul bass frm guitar 77 n da pots r spoilt i guess.... da bridge pickup knob n da balance knob has a buzzing sound everytime i strum hard n adjust, wad should i do? i was told by a gd friend 2 go back 2 g77 n tell em 2 change but any other ideas? n if i wanna upgrade my pots? wad kinda price range aill i be lookin at?

cheap? hmm... i've nv done anythin 2 my pots b4 so i need a lil bit more detailed info... thx... lyk is there a particular brand which manufacs good pots.... how much is a decent one....

Back