"The Actors" bar rocks!!!!

my $0.02

I've been to Actor's a handful of times and have jammed with the regular guys there. My experience each of those times has been fine and everyone has always treated me with respect. It seems like a good bunch of guys in there.

However, after reading both accounts of this unfortunate situation, I have to say I may have reacted the same way had I been approached like that, especially being touched, even in a harmless way. Some might view that as slightly harassing and probably definitely annoying, at the least. The fact is two people were buying drinks, and if the third guy didn't want to, frankly, that's his choice. What if he's a recovering alcoholic and doesn't drink?

Wayne, I can totally understand your point about the need to have people enjoying the facilities also support the business by buying things. But it's not a dues paying club, it's a bar. IMHO, the right approach would be to have it clearly posted that there is a one or two drink minimum for those patrons taking part in singing / jamming. That way the policy is clear when people come in and nobody has to get their backs up over something like this.

Just my two cents, but I can say I'll definitely go back to Actor's at some point.

Crappy place

We have been to this joint for the past year. I decided to call it a stop after an unpleasant incident..
Wealways play there but do note we are customer like all of you.

We were stopped by the boss, James not to play hard rock as that frightens off his customers.... play other stuff like other music.. Know wat? we walked off... Who the hell is that MF? We aint resident musicians who are paid a miserable $30/night by this piece of crap.

Can anyone tell me if you are scared off by Smoke on the water, sweet child of mine, highway star & to be with you? Oh ya, one of the chaps were told not to play Chinese song...

Well, not a word or beer from him when he saw the customer clapping their hands and sang on when we played along. Quite a let down to receive such lousy remarks from the owner of the place for playing here (or helping him for free) for the past 1 yr plus.

Well we did see a lot of cockroaches in this place anyway.. hope the MOE will pay a visit real soon.. and oh yeah, anyone wanna guess the age of the air condition unit there? It has been there since the beginning of man kind.. and MF refused to change it..

Try Hoo-Ha. much better place than this. Anyway, we have moved on to do Friday/Sat gig at BzB at Serangoon Garden.

The boss is no longer the Friendly Freddie? whose James? are u sure they are paid $30? that's way too low,it sounds disgusting.
Talk about Racism, why cannot play chinese songs hur? well,not a word from him if he cannot speak english well. I can understand.

Not playing chinese song is quite understandable, I mean we live in a multiracial country, please spare some thought for the minorities forced to come down all the way then have to listen to songs which we probably can't enjoy as much.

But not allowing hard rock? I will not stand by it. NEVER, I SAY!!!! In the name of Dio somebody is going to pay.

I find the tapping on shoulder funny. What if he tapped some highly trained martial arts dude. he'll end up with a broken arm or nose.

Are you trying to tell me malay,hindi and philipino songs are ok,but chinese songs shouldn't be allowed? Come on,i am sure they allow some philipino or thai songs to get by whether it is a song or two. But why can't chinese song be played?

No, I'm saying unless it's a club that usually plays English songs, they shouldn't add too many songs of another language. If it's a mandopop club, then go ahead and play, I'm saying I'd be pissed if I went down to listen to some classic rock hits and the band plays some other genre or language.

Maybe the owner just personally dislikes the chinese music genre. How would I know.

Not playing chinese song is quite understandable, I mean we live in a multiracial country, please spare some thought for the minorities forced to come down all the way then have to listen to songs which we probably can't enjoy as much.

What u have written clearly shows that u are a minority,am i right? and who forced who to come? u mean Actors bar management force people to come and buy a drink to watch open mics bands play and those bands shouldnt play chinese songs?

^There is something wrong with your theory here. Since the management is in charge of the bar, and since the bar IS paying the band, yes, they do have a right to tell the band what can be played and what can not be played.
u mean Actors bar management force people to come and buy a drink to watch open mics bands play and those bands shouldnt play chinese songs?

I don't really understand this, but I think your point is something like, people come down to watch the bands play, and the management has no right to tell them what to play or not because the people are paying money. I'm saying exactly that. Since the bar pays the band, and since the bar wants people to come down to see the band, thus earning money, they have the right to request what should be played or shouldn't. They know their main crowd well, maybe it's the expat crowd, or the foreign talent type of crowd, who knows. Don't get me wrong, I find the fact that they paid that brother above 30 bucks to perform completely cheapskate and this place seems extremely shady. But I don't see how not allowing the band to play one language of music makes one racist.

of course you can't really understand what i am saying because first of all,your english is atrocious.

If you can clearly explain what u said below, it will be much clearer. Oh and by the way, we are focusing on open mics bands which can go up to Jam once they bought their drinks.

and tell me your race,if u are not shy about telling your race.

Woo dude, what's with the demand of knowing someone's race?

Sure they CAN play, go ahead and play Chinese or whatever language songs. But it's being courteous and sparing some thought for the crowd.
Say you wanna play Chinese songs, the management wants you to play English songs, but the crowd is mostly Malays. So, you go ahead and play Chinese songs?

Sure you have the right to playing anything IF the management allows you to. But which's your motive? Pleasing yourself, or the crowd? Judge the crowd, play what they want. Or just treat it as a free jamming session with some audience.

I've got nothing to do.

^What he said.

Don't wanna argue in this thread any more. It doesn't matter if the band plays Mandarin/Malay/Tamil songs or whatever, you missed the point anyway.

Well basically its like this,Do you expect radio stations such as 98.7FM or Class 95 to be playing chinese songs?

Hmm....I've been to Actors a couple of times and I've never had such problem. But I never jam there either. I only jam at a place where my friends are playing. Else I get paid for my service playing music.

I don't like to go to pubs or joints where everyone can just jam and have no resident bands. If I should go to a live music joint to relax and enjoy, I expect a certain kind of standards. And of course, must buy drink lah. Go to pub never drink want to save money better stay at home. You go places like these expect the worst. If you're lucky you can see real musicians up on stage. If not you'll see those who can't even handle their instruments and blast their way. Don't talk about rock music even ballads can be disgusting.

The people are friendly there at Actors and have never seen rude people there. But for someone who wants to showcase their talents, by all means this is the right spot to be. But at a certain time and level, one has to realize that you should be paid for your talent not beg or pay to play.

Freddie is gone.. change of hand...

The boss is no longer the Friendly Freddie? whose James? are u sure they are paid $30? that's way too low,it sounds disgusting.
Talk about Racism, why cannot play chinese songs hur? well,not a word from him if he cannot speak english well. I can understand.

Nah he is still crap.. cos players are still customers. And u know something? Those Chinese customers also enjoy it.
Totally agreeable with you on multiracial country - thus, i still think it is ok to play some chinese, malay and english..
Rock on, dude!! YEAH~ No rock = softies..

But not allowing hard rock? I will not stand by it. NEVER, I SAY!!!! In the name of Dio somebody is going to pay.

I find the tapping on shoulder funny. What if he tapped some highly trained martial arts dude. he'll end up with a broken arm or nose.

YEAH!!! precisely. Whoever buys that drinks have the right to play a song ..

Are you trying to tell me malay,hindi and philipino songs are ok,but chinese songs shouldn't be allowed? Come on,i am sure they allow some philipino or thai songs to get by whether it is a song or two. But why can't chinese song be played?

Bro, the management dun pay me cos i am a customer playing...
I thought this is clear cut fromt the start...
Nope, no even free beer for sweating after a run of Highway star.. i see stars after that..

^There is something wrong with your theory here. Since the management is in charge of the bar, and since the bar IS paying the band, yes, they do have a right to tell the band what can be played and what can not be played.

I don't really understand this, but I think your point is something like, people come down to watch the bands play, and the management has no right to tell them what to play or not because the people are paying money. I'm saying exactly that. Since the bar pays the band, and since the bar wants people to come down to see the band, thus earning money, they have the right to request what should be played or shouldn't. They know their main crowd well, maybe it's the expat crowd, or the foreign talent type of crowd, who knows. Don't get me wrong, I find the fact that they paid that brother above 30 bucks to perform completely cheapskate and this place seems extremely shady. But I don't see how not allowing the band to play one language of music makes one racist.

Back