tension rod adjustment question

slipout

Hi ya, just to reconfirm again (incase i do something stupid to my guitar), how do i check whether do i need to adjust the tension rod?

Fret the 1st and 14th fret, and if gap on 7th fret is less than 0.05", need to adjust counter clockwise (loosen i suppose?), and if the gap on 7th fret is less than 0.15", need to adjust clockwise (tighten?).

Is that correct? Anyway turn right is clockwise, turn elft is anti clockwise right? My guitar when i fret 1st and 14th, there is no gap at all on the 7th fret, its touching. That means my neck is too straight? I need to make it bow abit? Yes i do have buzzing on 1st - 6th fret(but not from the amp, but its pissing me off)

Anyway, i need to take off my neck in roder to adjust the tension rod, but on the headstock, there is a piece of wood glued on the hole (the one where normally u adjust the tension on), that normal? First time playing a strat, been on FR guitars since i started so not too sure

anyway, what is clearance and relief? kind confuse between them and action?

Dam my worse of my nightmare, is that the tension rod is already dam loose, and i can widen the gap, hope not, gotta do a complete setup on monday (after my freaking maths tesT)

well let me help ya,

clearance is actually to weaken the
neck so as to adjust to the tension
of the strings. thus, making
a curved bow.

clearance is more to be called
letting the neck relaxed and making
the bow,

turning the rod the other way around
will strengthened the neck, making it straight,
*if too much it will cause strings to buzz against the frets.

*pls adjust the rod with extreme care
or
else the neck will break.

Tension rod= truss rod?

Someone enlighten me please =(

Is it true that humidity will affect the dip of the rod too?

A good tip would be to mark it with a blackboard marker before turning, serves as a gauge. Thence, you won't over do it.

truss rods can be measured at fret 12 or 13,
measurement is the distance from the strings
and the fret e.g fret 12.

mostly we use a feeler gauge, a mechanics
kind of measuring ruler

Back