Technology for Expressiveness

Interesting concept. However, I'm not sure how widely adopted will it be for a few reasons:

1. It may increase expressiveness for sustained notes (pads-style). If one is playing phrases, our fingers are already positioned in different Y-axis by the shape of our hands alone. If we want to ensure even trigger along the Y-axis, it's going to be really difficult.
2. The standard 2-hand method is still more expressive using different controllers - at least for me.

However, it's still an interesting concept and I'm sure it will useful in a number of settings. The concept is quite similar to the Haken Continuum (http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/).

Hi Cheez, nice of you to 'drop by'! :) How are things?...and which part of the world are you at now?

The continuum keyboard looks like my mum's Singer sewing machine! :-D

Looking at the two, I'd still look forward to owning the multi touch coz not only is it incorporated into an existing hardware that keyboardsts are all so familiar with, it'll really fulfil the wishlist of arranger keyboard players who'd wish they have a third hand to control the pitch bend/modulation when playing solo with their right and accompanying chords with their left. At least, that's what I wish :-D

I can see the tremendous advantage Touchkeys would have over so many other "expressive controllers" over the last 30 years that have come and gone!! ;)
Of course, there are always pros and cons to them. However, the disadvantage of the Y-axis position you mentioned would be one of them but this solution, at least, addresses quite a few other areas (sliding in and out, "shaking hand" to get vibrato) while still being able to play with BOTH HANDS! And I think this is the main advantage over the "traditional" right hand playing, left hand controlling techniques. (Is that a satisfactory solution or just something we have had to bear with bcoz there is no other solutions?)

What I see that is of advantage over other controllers that have come and gone, is the fact that Touchkeys is used to integrate into an existing keyboard of feel we would have preferred already. So it doesn't need the user to buy another "weird looking" keyboard that "tries too hard" to convince keyboardists to change.
IMHO, going this route has always ended in the company going bust after a few months/years :(

The ONLY gripe I feel with Touchkeys now is its price! An 88-note kit is more than SG$2000!! To adapt to a SG$2000 keyboard??! :eek: wow!! Quite a steep price to pay...for now. Hopefully, if this catches on, the volume would help bring the price down such that it can be more reasonable.
But of course, if I were the inventor, I would also want to "reap the rewards" while its hot!! ;D
My 2cts worth anyway :)

Q

Interesting concept. However, I'm not sure how widely adopted will it be for a few reasons:

1. It may increase expressiveness for sustained notes (pads-style). If one is playing phrases, our fingers are already positioned in different Y-axis by the shape of our hands alone. If we want to ensure even trigger along the Y-axis, it's going to be really difficult.
2. The standard 2-hand method is still more expressive using different controllers - at least for me.

However, it's still an interesting concept and I'm sure it will useful in a number of settings. The concept is quite similar to the Haken Continuum (http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/).

Last edited:
Back