Suitable Drop C strings for "special floyd rose bridge"?

lszq.23

Ive tried daddario extra heavy(For drop c tuning), gauge are .012~.060, but no matter how i set my bridge , the string still pulls my floydrose bridge too high, i cant get it floating parallel to my guitar's body . i got 3 tension springs .
So,i cant use .012~0.60 for drop c tuning on my floydrose special(3 tension springs), any one have any idea if i should use what string guage for drop c tunings?

Hope u guys understand what im trying to saying, sorry for my bad english.

"Skinny bottom + heavy top" sets, typically .010-.052 are popular with many people who play in Drop-C, and are available from many manufacturers.

I use a custom .010-.056 set put together using D'Addario EXL115 and singles. The gauges are:
.010/.014/.018/.028/.038/.056

Assuming that your guitar is 25.5" scale, the combined tension for these strings tuned to Drop-C is 92.3lbs/inch.

The total tension for a standard .009-.042 set in standard tuning is 85.2lbs/inch
The total tension for a standard .0095-.044 set in standard tuning is 90.8lbs/inch
The total tension for a standard .010-.046 set in standard tuning is 103.6lbs/inch.

What all this means is that, if you use something like my set, the tension in Drop C will feel similar to a .0095 set in standard tuning.

There. Hope this helps you.

okay i roughly understand, thanks alot!
I'm currently using .009-.042 set in standard tuning .
So i guess i should buy .0095-.044 set for drop C?

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but if the floating bridge is being pulled up due to the hard string tension, you should adjust the trem claw strings and not be bothered by the string gauge. if there is not enough room for adjustment, add more springs.

If you have no idea how to fix it, send it to a store. once you've gotten them to set up to your preferred gauge, make sure you stick to that to avoid setting it up again.

okay i roughly understand, thanks alot!
I'm currently using .009-.042 set in standard tuning .
So i guess i should buy .0095-.044 set for drop C?

No that's not what I meant. I meant a set of [.010/.014/.018/.028/.038/.056 in Drop-C] will have similar overall tension as a set of
[.0095-.044 in Standard]

Anyway what relinquish69 said is the "right" way to do it. If you wanna stick to your current heavy gauges, you can add one spring and setup the trem. Your other option would be to move to a slightly lighter gauge like I suggested, but you'll still need to setup the trem.

It's up to you whether you prefer .012-.060 or .010-.056. Personally I think the latter is a bit less extreme.

In any case, you would still have to set up your guitar. the whole string gauge thing sounds more theoretical than practical. sounds right but end of the day, I still think you'd need to fine tune the bridge angle parallel to the body.

rofl, just set up your guitar

open up your backplate
use a screw driver to adjust spring tension, tighten if you want your floyd rose to be pulled back
you have to find a balance depending on the tension of your strings
adjust action according to your preference
done!

also i hate floyd rose

rofl, just set up your guitar

open up your backplate
use a screw driver to adjust spring tension, tighten if you want your floyd rose to be pulled back
you have to find a balance depending on the tension of your strings
adjust action according to your preference
done!

also i hate floyd rose
haha i hate FR too, regretted buying omg, the spring cannot screw in anymore already dam. thats why i asking for suitable guage

Yea in that case just move down to a .010-.052/.010-.056 set and you should be able to setup your trem properly.

My first ever electric had a floating trem too and I was traumatised by dealing with it, so much so that I moved on to fixed bridge guitars, and/or locking my trems. Then after awhile I realised that the hassle of floating trems was ok due to the versatility they provided.

My favourite system is the Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem. Super stable and great for subtle 'warbles'.

Back