Stagg soundhole pickup

EugeneSmasher

Decided to do a review for one of my soundhole pickups. I also have a Seymour Duncan Woody SC but you can find plenty of reviews for that pickup on the internet.

The soundhole pickup in question is made by Stagg, but it has no model number nor Stagg logo on it. But looks-wise, it looks like a typical electric guitar singlecoil pickup. It has a wire running from it to an external output jack which has a flap allowing you to fit it onto your guitar's bottom strap button.

I used this pickup on an Ibanez SGT120 (a standard dreadnought with spruce top and mahogany b/s) and plugged it directly into a PA system. When I used this pickup for a live performance some months back, this was the setup I used - no amplifiers. Just direct to the mixer via DI box.

Aesthetics-wise, I don't have much to say. It looks pretty solid and all that, but it doesn't look natural. It instead looks like an electric guitar soundhole pickup, simply put.

But when it is plugged in, it lacks that piezo quack many people complain about. Instead, it sounds more like an acoustic guitar naturally sounds unplugged. I'd almost think it is like a microphone. However, I found that its tone is rather weak and thin compared with my Seymour Duncan Woody SC, but it sounds pretty good and natural for the price it costs.

I don't have anything else to say, though. It is simply a soundhole pickup. Bottom line is, I'd recommend it. I've used it live so I don't worry about its reliability and whether it can be used on-stage. It can.

So yeah, if you're looking for a easily fitted and easily removed soundhole pickup, do check this one out. Try it first before buying to get an idea of its tone before buying it. The guys at Maestro allowed me to try it out pretty extensively before buying.

--

Availability: Maestro outlets, but I bought mine at the outlet (Maestro Lounge if I'm not wrong) at Paradiz centre.

Maestro service: Excellent, they allowed me to test it for as long as I wished, and they also plugged it into an acoustic guitar amp and the PA system to let me get a feel of what it sounds like in both situations.

Price: $35

Likes: Nice sound for its menial cost, very solid, it is well assembled, and reliable. External output jack allows you to use your own cables (like a regular electro-acoustic). Fits smaller soundholes. Little or no piezo quack.

Dislikes: Pickup looks like an electric guitar pickup. You need a screwdriver to tighten the pickup's sides to the sides of the guitar's soundhole. Compared with other soundhole pickups, it sounds a little bland.

--

Any questions, feel free to ask. Cheers!

Last edited:
hey there.

I was thinking of getting either the Seymour Duncan Woody SC or the Dean Markley ProMag. but now that you have mentioned the Stagg soundhole pickup, now i'm considering.

would just like to know will there be a difference between all three in tone quality when plugged in? and in terms of recording, is a soundhole pickup good enough?

thanks.

I haven't tried the Dean Markley Promag before so I can't comment, but between the Seymour Duncan Woody SC and the Stagg, the Woody SC sounds better. But it also costs close to a hundred dollars more (it costs $129 at Davis). I'd definitely also recommend the Woody SC because secondhand ones do turn up in the buy/sell for $50 or so.

For recording, I'm not sure. I haven't done recording before (only performed) but I think it should be sufficient. Just that most acoustic guitarists use microphones for recording instead of pickups.

Back