S'pore Table Tennis Fiasco - Who Should Get The Sack?

Who should be given the SACK?

• Total voters

guitarsan

This is the current hot topic, and I'm sure you know the details by now. Much of it is in today's newspapers. If you're still sotong, here's a link: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20080825/tap-350-sttas-decision-renew-team-manage-231650b.html

So who should get the sack?

Antony Lee (Team Manager)
Obvious fall guy. He was seconded to STTA from SSC. So in typical government fashion, one mistake wipes out your entire career achievement. Condemn liao...hentak kaki already. Well, they say the bucks always stop at the top...and he's somewhere near the top (but NOT the very top, as demonstrated by a certain W.K.S. in Mas Selamat case). If he's lucky, he will be seconded or quadrupled to manage Singapore's under-12 table tennis team.

Liu Guodong (Head Coach)
Ditto above. But slighly harder to remove due to the bond and respect he has with the table tennis team, especially the ladies. Poor Gao Ning will curse the sod in his sleep though. Anyway, the government has a perchant for all things "foreign" with "perceived talent". As such, he may be given just a warning letter, a reprive, a new job recommendation, cash bonuses, rewards, various government incentives and all the perks entitled for local Singaporeans.

Lee Bee Wah (STTA President)
Aiyoh, the MP of Ang Moh Kio GRC wants heads to roll. And she wants their heads absolutely immediately...even though some players are still in the competition. But you can't argue with her because (i) she is PAP endorsed and certified, and she will crush your teeny weeny ping pong balls, (ii) she got lots of experience as STTA head honcho (bad pun intended) - a grand total of 1 month and few days.

The Entire Team
Oh yeah. We will replace these foreign imports with locally born, home grown, true blue, bonafide, real deal, kaki nangs...Singaporeans. Winning medals is secondary.

Others

this kind of thing very hard to settle. everything is screwed up, evidently because the show is run by a bunch of losers.

china's table tennis team are represented by PRCs. singapore's table tennis team also comprises purely of PRCs. the only difference between the 2 countries is that in singapore, singaporeans get involved, singapore politicians get involved, and that evidently causes our PRC paddlers to screw up.

it shows that no matter how strong the heart is, athletes will still fail in a screwed up environment. in the past the donkeys were the FAS. looks like table tennis is taking the mantle. but i want to ask

SINCE WHEN WAS TABLE TENNIS SINGAPORE'S NO.1 SPORT???

the only thing to do is to sack everybody, and start on a clean slate. import the entire backroom from china. or better yet, move all our operations to china. sure can challenge.

on a side note channel news asia should interview the table tennis team. can get a mandarin interpreter or something

SINCE WHEN WAS TABLE TENNIS SINGAPORE'S NO.1 SPORT???

it's not really, but it's mother CHINA's no.1 sports, and we by extension, are trying to share the glory and limelight!

I still don't quite understand the story, somebody's getting fired because some coach didn't turn up for the match?

im perfectly proud of my chinese roots and i dont look down on imports. BUT honestly,
1) WE PAY THOSE IMPORTS TOO MUCH. they get $750,000 each for one silver medal! phelps got a little over $200,000 for 8 golds. do the math.

2) The only true blue born and bred Singaporean who ever won a medal in bloody 48 YEARS doesn't get a cent, or more importantly, the recognition he deserves, while we glorify our imports. If the player was trained locally from childhood, we could still justify it as our achievement. but it seems to me the only reason why we want to win a medal is for "face".

its a game where imports from china are playing for other nations against more mainland chinese. what pride is there in winning the medal then? DID WE BUY IT? OR EARN IT?

i have nothing against imports, i just think we should take more pride in our own people.

i feel that it's very debatable as to who should get the sack and shoulder the blame for this recent saga.

however, i think what's more important is that we should really sympathise with gao ning. i mean he's the top in singapore, has trained his ass off for the past few years, goes to the olympics, and is forced to play a match on the big international stage without a coach by his side. as a sportsperson myself, i feel for him. some may not realise but having someone by your side - anyone, not only your coach - encouraging you and giving you advice can be very motivating and can prove to be the factor that contributes to a victory. i mean if he had won then maybe that would've been a different story altogether but just imagine the pain and anguish he feels after his loss against someone who on paper is lousier than him. if anyone had watched the match, you would've noticed how unmotivated gao ning was towards the end of the match.

i'm quite surprised that alot of singaporeans are up in arms against lee bee wah's decision. i do feel that it was the management's fault over in beijing which resulted in such an unfortunate event. and i don't see how tan eng liang can take the matter pretty lightly; simply accepting the management's explanation without taking any actions which would prevent such things from happening in the future. nevertheless, lee bee wah's decision probably came too soon.

and yes can't we just have a local born and bred table tennis team? i'm sure there are those out there who are as capable as the current national table tennis team =D

i for one am not proud of Singapore's so-called achievement at this olympics. because the WHOLE friggin team is made of mainland chinese. yes, the other countries do have foreign imports.. but not the WHOLE team!! i will never, EVER support a Singapore team that has players other than those born and bred in Singapore..

We shouldn't hate the player, hate the game. In this case, the player is the China Imports, or to be more politically correct, the products of the Foreign Talent Scheme. The game is the wonderful lovely Foreign Talent Scheme.

Quite a few people are blaming the China people for this, but it's not their fault. The garmen go to them throwing money and fame, surely they will accept what. Its the stupid POLICY thats causing all this bullshit.

I say fire the entire team, china or not, and then restart from scratch. Population being small is a lousy excuse, look at croatia. Smaller population than us but win so much more, with THEIR OWN people.

If all else fails, screw singaporean sports as a truly competitive force. We are merely humiliating ourselves, under the guise of economic boosts, and "holistic development"

Do we have any people who can do better than the above mentioned? If have, please let us know. If not, we have only ourself to blame.

We should not think like a family run business, must only get own people to head/run the business. We should know our limitation and see how to improve/grow the business. Maybe in near future, some of family member will prove themselves worthy of heading/running the business?

but i don't get why people are calling for her to step down because of the termination of antony lee's services.. i feel that she made a right call frankly. it should serve as a deterrence for any future negligience by any team manager in any sporting field in singapore. but then again, that's just my opinion la..

btw speaking of not being very proud of the fact the whole table tennis team is imported from china, what about tao li? not a product of singapore either. first swimmer from singapore to reach swimming final. singaporean? naww

Last edited:
I don't mind having foreign athletes IF they have long been staying in the country, and is as "Singaporean" as we claim to be, like Li Jiawei.. But those who became citizens last year or hell, even this year shouldn't be allowed to represent the nation IMO..
Why boast foreign talent when we all have so much talent of our own? Sure we may not win a silver medal, but you'll win the hearts of your people..
Plus, the talent scouts in Singapore are fags.. (sorry I had to say that :mrgreen:)

What business? what medal? u mean that was ours? i tot it was china's.

then just sack the whole team and bring in the champions to represent singapore la.

Wah lau, at this rate just buy a medal off the IOC or sumthing and save ourselves the trouble.

Do we have any people who can do better than the above mentioned? If have, please let us know. If not, we have only ourself to blame.

We should not think like a family run business, must only get own people to head/run the business. We should know our limitation and see how to improve/grow the business. Maybe in near future, some of family member will prove themselves worthy of heading/running the business?
precisely. then i will ask,

if your superior gets the sacked from his job, do you expect yourself to be promoted to his position?
if you get sacked from your job, how long do you think it would take for you to be replaced?

no individual can be bigger than an entire organisation. i know it's hard for singaporeans to understand that, given that a country can be run like a family business

Back