some questions for 7 string guitars...

teleplayer

Some questions on 7string guitars.

I've searched google and wikipedia for info on 7string guitars and I still don't understand... can somebody here explain:
1) the uses of seven strings guitars
2) is it only meant for metal?
3) what's the string size the 7th string?

Thanks...

1) Extended range of notes you can play with.
Imagine you want to buy this world. And the world cost $6. But in your pocket, you have
$7. So the seller who is selling world tells you. I sell you the world for $6 and
the additional $1, i will sell you 10 stars(each star cost $0.10).

So with $1 more, you get 10 extra stars. So with the 7th strings, you get additonal notes
to play with

2) No. It can be used to play any type of music. Rockers/metalehead used it more often coz the additional 7th string give them a lower sounding string to play with. Since rocker and metalhead like heavy sound, the extra string will give them the "heaviness" they need when used with distortion.

It is not just for metal. If you want and have needs for 7 strings to play dangdut, hokkien ballad or twinkle twinkle little star, then the 7 strings can be used as well. You are the one playing the guitar, not the guitar play you or choose what to play

3) You are not searching hard enough. A search on google with this key word "7 strings set", the answer you need can be found.

u know some songs.. u really like, then u notice the tabs saying drop C.

then u go wtf? drop C? how to?

so, u try to find out how to drop C and then u tune ur guitar to drop C. then u realise... wtf??! my string SOOO loose and buzzes like mad..

how to solve that problem? u can go one way buy getting a custom gauge for ur guitar and get the nut cut for that guage.

or

get a 7 string. the extra one string is a low B. so u can play drop C songs without having to change tunings. provided u know how to transpose tabs

I was also thinking of buying a seven string guitar. Do the cons outweigh the pros? Would you recommend it to a person who mainly plays 6 strings? I know i'll get more tone options with the extra low b but other than that?

looking at it in a more fun way.

1) if we have no idea on why we need, most prolly we wont need it.

2) if we need others to convince us why we need, most prolly we wont need it

3) if we have the money to spare and no idea why we need it, just get it. Learning how and why we need it will come after we have it and able to use it. What better way to learn about something other then to have it and utilise it.

imho

oh.. i get it.. so by getting a 7string guitar, you have two tunings in one guitar.. am I right to say that?

oh.. i get it.. so by getting a 7string guitar, you have two tunings in one guitar.. am I right to say that?

uh right.. but u get a whole range of tunings. not just 2. u see, when u have a 6 string guitar, the lowest note u could go is an E. with the 7th string, u can go even lower, to a B.

from that E3 to that B2, u have an extra, D#, D, C#, C and the low B. so u have these extra low notes to play. so u dont need to drop d when everyone else needs to. but then again i stress that if u rely on tabs all the time to learn songs, and ur basic chord theory isnt there, u'll probably find a 7 string guitar redundant.

define what you mean by 2 tuning in one geetar.

In general, any guitar can have many many different tuning, coz its the person who is playing the guitar to tune to anything they wanna.

as for how many different form of tuning are there. Yup, google the best bet.

so by getting a 7string guitar, you have two tunings in one guitar..

let me correct that.

by getting a 7 string guitar, i can have tunings, that a 6 string guitar cannot have without having to change tunings by turning the tuning heads.

so in lay mans terms, if i wanna get drop d on a 6 string, i need to change tuning, on a 7 string, no need. same applies ith drop c or whatever..

The number 7 string can be tune to any other note.

drop B, C etc refer to a set of tuning(across the strings on the instrument), not just one string.

since we're on the topic of seven string guitars, is it possible to play songs that are originally played on a seven-string guitar on a six string one? (i have trivium songs in mind actually)

since we're on the topic of seven string guitars, is it possible to play songs that are originally played on a seven-string guitar on a six string one? (i have trivium songs in mind actually)

yes, u just have to change ur tunings on ur 6er. which sucks. because ur strings get flabby and fret buzz is insane..

u can solve that by using thicker gauge strings. get ur guitar set up for 13s but tuned to 2 steps down that sorta thing.

standard is EADGBE right, then drop D is DADGBE, how to tune it in a way that I have both in one guitar?

you cant have both set of tuning at the same time within one guitar. Its either this tuning or that tuning. Tuning is a set of adjustment which is fixed across the strings in open(no fretted notes).

the only thing you can do is to tune to DADGBE and if you want EADGBE, you fret the 6th string(which is down tuned to D) on the 3rd fret to make it EADGBE

so as to say, what ever chords you wanna do, you will have to fret another 2 frets higher on the 6th strings to make it sound correct

Last edited:
the instrument per se has an intrinsic function to churn out music, regardless of the genre. we sometimes associate the instrument with the hype; remember the KORN-7string occurrence? of course, we do have Charlie Hunter here who would prove to you that the 8-string guitar isn't exclusive for Meshuggah-esque indulgences:

Sales_CH8_Charliewsemi.jpg

Errrrrr...Happened to stumble upon this and tryna clarify what the dude was tryna say earlier. It's not about having 2 tunings on one guitar or something. What he's tryna say is that on a 6 string, you have to tune your E string down to a D to play a Low D power chord. But on the other hand, the 7-string gives you the ability to play a Low D power chord without tuning anything differently. So it's just about maintaining standard tuning but the ability to play things lower than an E.

7 string guitars were used in jazz for a while before they became known as 'metal' guitars.

Some jazz 7-stringers had an extra high string (high A), rather than a low B string.

Baritone guitars are also worth consideration.

Once again, primarily used for jazz (to begin with). Listen to Pat Metheny's 'One Quiet Night' album.

Errrrrr...Happened to stumble upon this and tryna clarify what the dude was tryna say earlier. It's not about having 2 tunings on one guitar or something. What he's tryna say is that on a 6 string, you have to tune your E string down to a D to play a Low D power chord. But on the other hand, the 7-string gives you the ability to play a Low D power chord without tuning anything differently. So it's just about maintaining standard tuning but the ability to play things lower than an E.

sure if u wanna drop D and standard. tune to DEADGBe

u want standard tuning? dont strum the 7th string.
u want drop D? mute the E string and strum the rest.

Back