Skins?

Pakerdee

Hi all!

I am gonna start on a brush book n i need a new coated Snare skin!

Thinking of these 3:
1) Remo emperor
2) Evans (G2?)
3) DW(remo USA)

Any recommendations?

Any idea how much, and where to get them cheap?
I desperately (seriously!) need to make frens here. Ha.

Pls call me! (esp those living in west or bt batok!)

Zong1 Geng3 (or Asaph if can't prononunce)

hi bro!!!

remo has a bunch of skins/heads to choose from..

so does evans...

cheap ones u can get at ranking sports and music, evans reverse center power dot.. durable stuff....

google evans or remo for more of their head choices... they have charts too to see if u want darker/brighter/attack and such...

DW skins are basically remo skins... same stuff only remo makes em for dw and put their logo and name there.. i dunno what's the equivelant head...

Hi bro and welcome to SOFT.

Personally, I feel that the only coated skin you'll ever need is either an Evans G1 coated or a Remo Ambassador Coated.

Reason being both are single ply skins, which gives you a wider tuning range, and an open sound. Though its single ply, it can be tuned low or high, which makes it versatile. Other people may have their own opinions and sound preference, ie. Fyberskin, Evans reverse center powerdot etc etc. But you really can't go wrong with either G1 coated or Remo Ambassador coated.

You can get Evans at yamaha or rankin, though Yamaha prices are slightly more expensive as compared to Ranking. Remo's available at Swee Lee, I'm not too sure if there's an alternative dealer, you gotta check with the bros here at SOFT.

Hmm. I'm surprised that you're looking at 2-ply heads for brush work.

Anyway, some prices for 14" heads I took down a couple of months back while checking out prices for a friend.

SweeLee (prices after 20% discount)
http://www.sweelee.com.sg/Aboutus_location.htm
FA Fiberskyn - $28
Coated Amb - $18

Ranking Sports & Music
231 Bain Street #03-49 Bras Basah Complex Singapore 180231
Tel : 6336-7887
Fax : 6339-5295

G1 - $17.50
G2 - $18
EC2 - $23

Of course, if you have a phone, you can always call and ask for price quotes, and whether the stuff you want is in stock, before making your trip down to the store.

wow. Thanks for the many advice!

Going to Accent music to check out some Remo skins later. Anybody wanna go? Asked for quotes too many times never buy from them, quite paiseh alr... ha.

But I thot ambassador has many series too?

bro hozea, ranking has stocked 14" evans ec2 rev dot center heads???

it's been quite sometime i went looking for heads... if they have bring it in, will definately get them.. :D

they sell used skins at drum resources, well their used but like i got like the whole set like 3 toms and bass skin for about 33 plus so that was a great deal it was remo just the batter side tho. but still it still sounds good. was thinking what is the more common skins used by metal drummers?

Oh ic. Thanks for clarifying! But what about the others like "powerstroke 3/4" etc?
Check out remo.com

Bought a Premier skin (made in UK). Really too paiseh always ask for quotation from Accent n never from them. DUn really feel good about it, but heck my snare's a Pearl forum. Can't sound like amazingly good even w good skins i suppose?

It was SO rough (which is why i bought it @ 1st) that I had to use sandpaper to reduce the coarseness. A bit heartpain. But sounds quite ok lah, esp for brushes.

Saw another Remo series called "everplay". More ex than my premier skin, Anybody used it before?

A qn:
1) How are the Evans hydraulic series? Called Music Theme and Ah Lim told it has a very "fat" sound. Anybody using it?

evans hydraulics, as the name suggest, it has a thin layer of oil sandwiched in between two layers of mylar aka the plies of plastic which makes the head - methinks

so with that, it reduces unwanted ring and overtones on normal heads so u don't have to get moongels/scotchtapes/dampeners and all that... best used at floor tom or on toms if u want that focused sounding kits with minimal overtones...

everplay - my guess it's a new series... drumhead companies always strive for better products everytime so they don't look bad on NAMM shows and has newer stuff to bring to the market.. HAHAHA

remo powerstroke my guess is the ermm the bass drum heads... im too lazy to check the remo catalog.. hehe...

hope this helps.

Bought a premier studio batter instead. Was the coarsest (rough!) there n cheaper than the Remo everplay.

But it was so coarse that i had to use sandpaper to de-rough it. Regretted a bit. Should have bought a Remo or Evans. GR!

But want to show face to them (Accent music), cos always ask them for quotations etc n never buy from them. (till i hear one of the lady workers complain about me... hai)

i din know premier makes their own heads... it's either made by a remo factory in china...

din see any remo everplay in their official website..

Sorry this reply is a little late, but I highly recommend Remo Renaissance heads for brushes. Sometimes Swee Lee carries them. Renaissance heads simulate the calf-skin heads of the early drumset days -- more so than Fiberskyn 3's.

I've had a Renaissance head on my snare for the last 8 years (!) and I haven't had to change it, because it still has the texture that gives enough brush sound, as if it were brand new. For stick or brush attack, it's got great responsiveness and sensitivity. BebopIggy tried it at the last DXS meeting and was pleasantly surprised by the brush feel & response.

Another head that comes close to the Renaissance is the Evans J1 Etched (I think that's what it's called), it also has a texture for brushes, that unlike Ambassador Coated heads, doesn't wear out quickly.

Ok, my 2-cents, maybe you can try next time. :)

Abdul: Well, they were there the last time I was there. Heh. No guarantees man.

Pakerdee: Don't worry about sanding the head. I've read of pros sanding their ambassadors for brushwork too, because they can be too rough for brushes outta the box. You do what you gotta do :)

beboptang: You make the Rens sound like magic! Gotta try one someday then. Thanks for sharing.

beboptang: You make the Rens sound like magic! Gotta try one someday then. Thanks for sharing.

Haha!! Ya, I did forget to say that Renaissance aren't for really heavy hitting, or for heavy Rock or a Phat Funk sound. So they are not as multi-purpose as Remo Coated Ambassadors, or the Evans coated reverse dot one.

wow. Thanks! gotta try these renaissance heads next time. But waste not versatile.

checked out remo everplay. seems to be made for premier drums specially

Back