Shoulder Keyboards are they extinct?

Mr_KeyboardMan

Very seldom seen people using it, and over the time people seems to abandon them. Why?

I think it's a great instrument as it allows a keyboardist to move freely along with the guitarist, bassist and singer instead of standing at one corner and be the one less noticed.

More companies stopped the production of this keyboard. It seemed that shoulder keyboard in the direction towards extinction. Maybe you'll find it in the museum in near future.

BTW, anyone knows how to get shoulder keyboards in singapore, please PM me.

well, shoulder strapped keyboards run on batteries and i guess that isn't very favourable. also, midi can't run on wireless and i read somewhere that midi cable should not be too long.. ideally under 15m(or was it 15feet?) or something. that doesn't really give much room for moving about even on a big stage eh.

david tao's keyboardist used a roland ax-7 on the 2003 soul power gig at hk and sg. looked pretty cool.. but she only used it on one song and couldn't really move much away from the keyboard corner cos of cable lenth constraints.

anyway, i last saw a roland ax-1 quite some months back going for 500+ at sweelee. dunno if it's still there.. but the whole thing felt awfully plastic-ky, like a toy keyboard. and seemed fragile.. wonder if it was made of acrylic, felt like it to me.

heh, just my 2 cents. actually i also think such keyboards are cool! i was looking around for one too, some time last year.

Well i saw that model at swee lee too ... apparently someone bought the ax 1 already when i make another visit.... sigh .... well the sound is not there though for that model ... and swee lee does not have another stock or even the roland ax 7 which is the only one i know thats still in production (well it's more of midi controller to me than a keyboard and the design is very plasticky just like the ax-1) and planning to invest on wireless system

I saw one of prince's concert video and he use this a rather large shoulder keyboard(it looks cool too) to do solo and was inspired. So i was thinking of getting one since my band is playing funk

iansoh said:
well, shoulder strapped keyboards run on batteries and i guess that isn't very favourable. also, midi can't run on wireless and i read somewhere that midi cable should not be too long.

Actually, midi can run on a wireless system but not all of them are stable. I think midiman (now M-audio) used to have wireless and bluetooth midi boxes - not sure what happened to them.

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/midistream.shtml
http://home.cogeco.ca/~johnkie/Wireless_MIDI_for_accordion_keyboard_guitar.htm

remote controller

in fact I'm looking for one lately. someone is selling
a roland SH101 for $500 in luthermusic ads. the SH101
is not MIDIed but only has CV interface. Yamaha KX5 is
discontinued and I think Roland AX7 is the only current
model around. Is Korg selling any of these remote controller?

The sh101 is a monophonic synth. It might be interesting for a couple of days or for collectors, but is a bit of a one trick pony. There are freeware sh101 emulations out there as well as a juno emulation as well. synth edit made i guess.

remote MIDI controller

Hi ALL,

so what's the verdict?

which following synth manufacturers are still producing remote MIDI controller?

- Yamaha KX5 ?
- Roland AX7 ?
- Korg --- ???
- Alesis --- ???
- Mooooooog --- ???
- Emu --- ???
- Ensoniq --- ???

Yes last but not least - CREATIVE Prodikeys !!! The champion !!!

Back