Shielding my guitar..

Xypher

My strat has been picking up radio signals and noise alot.. Having single coils doesnt help too. I also can hear a loud metallic ding sound when i flick the 5-way from neck to bridge.. Does this mean my pickups are microphonic?

Whats the most effective way of shielding? I am gonna change my bridge pickup soon so i thought i shd do them both at the same time..

Thx

Single coil is known inheritance of the 60 cycle hum. You can't shield that 60 cycle hum, no matter what u do u cant get rid of it, but u can definitely reduce it. I avoid using single coil due to this noise problem. Either u change to a full humbucker or a stack single whereby you still get the single coil sound with 2 coils stacking up each other like a humbucker.

1 way to effectively reduce noise is to shield your pickup cavity, using a carbon conductive paint or a thin copper strip or aluminium strip with conductive sticker. Sheild ur pick guard too.
1 more tip is, don't adjust or expose ur pickup height to much above the pick guard or the body cavity. The higher the pickup magnet expose on the outside of the cavity or pick guard, the higher chances ur pickup will pick those EMI noise.
This is 1 reason on why guitar design with a lower deep neck pocket(the connection between the neck and the body where the metal plate is) is a better option. It's because u can get lower profile action and lower pickup height adjustment and the result is in turn lower noise because your pickup is way inside the body cavity or pick guard.

Another is, you can shield ur pickup with the copper strip all around, but there's a disadvantage of doing it, the pickup will change tone or make the tone dull due to the copper strip surrounds it disturbing the copper coil inside.

Regarding your pickup selector switch, what u can do is loosen abit the tension of the spring attach to the selector switch or totally remove the spring or change to the selector switch to a non spring type like the 5 way super selector switch spoted in Ibanez guitars, It's the switch spring that creates the noise and in turn picks up by ur magnetic pickup.

Don't understand reading this, try to understand it, kekekekeke :)

Thx zepp3lin!

I am aware of the inherent hum in SC but i also pick up radio stations..Thats what is irritating.. Its ok in overdrive but when i play high gain it gets really noticable..

Hmm, beez or another guit tech should be able to explain it in detail.

Changing pickups=http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/rsp.htm

SHIELDING!=http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

quote from site "Even some guitars equipped with humbuckers can benefit from good shielding and grounding – guitars that pick up local radio stations are good examples."

There you go!

Local guitar shop wont do any shielding for u, unless u request it and they charge very hefty. normally if they use a conductive paint it's just 1 pathetic coat. You need minimum at least 2 coats, the best is three with 24 hrs of drying per coat. Than take a multimeter to test for line thru, make sure all the parts shielded must be in contact.
Copper foil is still the best for shielding.

1) you can use aluminium foil. Use multimeter to check for continuity. Troublesome is like using copper foil, you need to bend, fold to fit in the cavity. I recycle cleaned up sara lee cake aluminium container for shielding in my geetar, it work.

2) you can get this type of aluminium tape from home fix or some diy store. It is like scotch tape, but aluminium type. It is conductable on both side(even the sticking side). This one easier than foil, just paste it all over the cavity.

the 2 above prolly the easiest way out and workable for shielding

Hmm.. if its cost effective then i go buy the tape ah.. IF i use aluminium foil, how to join them together? scotch tape is abit messy right?

Hmm.. if its cost effective then i go buy the tape ah.. IF i use aluminium foil, how to join them together? scotch tape is abit messy right?

If u can't get a copper Foil strip, than u need to order it online, if that is impossible than try the harware shop ask for a copper foil, if it's not available than get the Aluminium tape normally use for AirCon duct.
Join together? Easy just overlap it with each other about a few centimeters. But make sure each overlap must be in contact by checking it with a multimeter. Than make sure your bridge wire is in contact with the pickup cavity. Again test it with multimeter from ur bridge to the pickup cavity where u already insulate it with.

Hmm, beez or another guit tech should be able to explain it in detail.

Changing pickups=http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/rsp.htm

SHIELDING!=http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

quote from site "Even some guitars equipped with humbuckers can benefit from good shielding and grounding – guitars that pick up local radio stations are good examples."

There you go!

hmm can someone explain more about the grounding part? my guitar has the slight buzzing when its being plugged in..the moment i have mere contact with any of the strings, the buzzing stops..can someone advice hw to "repair" this prob? hmm i was asked to increase the action..but it didnt realli help..btw this prob happens once in a while..

wainot: Hey bro, does the problem occur with distortion or without distortion? Or it happens even on cleans?

occurs on clean only... its only when i turn the vol higher abit then the buzzing starts... is it cos not grounded or something?

does shielding reduce the output of the guitar? with shielding, u block out external emi or influence on the guitar pups, but will it also block out the vibration of the strings, so the output is reduced?

Now that you guys brought this up, I think I need to shield both my small amps cos whenever I turn it on, I mistake it for my radio. Cos immediately I hear Flying Dutchman on Class95. Ha ha!!! That's right...I get radio signals! Someone please help me . I dun know what to do.....sigh..

Arsony
"Fire! Fire! My pant's on Fire!"

does shielding reduce the output of the guitar? with shielding, u block out external emi or influence on the guitar pups, but will it also block out the vibration of the strings, so the output is reduced?

It won't block anything and wont change your tone or vibration or what so ever. Like I explain before, don't insulate your pickups all around it with copper or aluminium foil, that will definitely change your Tone and its not good.

occurs on clean only... its only when i turn the vol higher abit then the buzzing starts... is it cos not grounded or something?

Lotsa things can effect your guitar and your amps. If you seat beside a PC and your amp is very nearby, it can create alot of unwanted noise. Your Lighting can effect too. For flourecent lighting it's best to use a good tube starter with emi noise caps, can be found in harwareshops, ask for assistance.
You can try and ground your amp, it might work. Other than that, if you willing to spend $$, buy a good AC Power Filter for your Amps and effects.

I offer shielding services - alum mfoil for pickguards & covers & shielding paint for body cavities ...

PM or sms 96909640 for rates - it would be cheaper if all components come unassembled and ready for work.

cheers

so for shielding, just shield the pups cavity, the pick guard and thats it?.

anyway, wht do u mean by shielding the entire pups? like u wrap it up entirely???

^Depends on what type of guitar you're planning to shield.

Teles are imo the easiest. Just tape/paint with copper tape or shielding paint the three cavities, then solder a wire from the neck cavity to the control plate cavity. Strats are a little complicated, or so I've heard.

Google guitarnuts.com for diy shielding tips and advice.

Back