Seymour duncan Invader VS Dimebucker.

I have to say the Dimebucker is a very harsh high output pickup.Can pick up every note you pick.

The Invader isnt so harsh but if you were to ask me id go for the JB.not too high not too low.just nice.

they're both good pick-ups.
but you gotta balance it with a lower pup.
like a jazz model pup or a jb or a 59 model.
unless your full on heavy and not interested with clean warm tones.
i would suggest the dimebucker but you must know that its an active pup.
the invader is passive and has less clarity and treble bite than the dimebucker.
if you want a pup with realy really high output i'd also suggest livewire humbuckers.
like the dave mustaine livewire or a metal livewire.
but these pups wil poke a hole in your wallet. hahaha.
hope you find the right pup.

Well... you can start by telling us what you want to use it for?

Both are high output. going with either one using a coin flip will
easily fufil your needs. So you gotta give specifics

Invaders are extremely bass heavy. So putting it in a dark toned wood (eg mahogany) will make it muddy.

The Dimebucker is an extremely trebly pick up. So putting it on a light toned (eg alder) will make it too bright.

So yes, telling us the specifics of your guitar and what kind of tone you want will help.

I want to have a tone which is suitable for playing it for floyd rose like those divebombs or whatnot. i want to put it on an agathis guitar. I want to have a bridge pickup which sounds good with distortion and clean.

Invader and Dimebucker is definitely not what you want. In fact, Invader would definitely be out on agathis. It'll be too dark and bass heavy. You will not get good cleans with that. Actually, neither will you get good, clear heavies either.

Sounds like you want versatility in your tone, so why are you looking at extremely hi output pickups? Look into stuff that's more versatile. Dime gave a good example in the Duncan's JB. Alternatively, you might wanna search on Tesla pick ups, which is what I have on my mahogany guitar, which is almost similar to agathis (just that it's better :cool: ). Tweak your heavy and clean tones there after with your amp, and pedals.

What's your pick up configuration? H-H or H-S-H or H-S-S?

BTW, IS there a tone that is good for divebombs????

Invader and Dimebucker is definitely not what you want. In fact, Invader would definitely be out on agathis. It'll be too dark and bass heavy. You will not get good cleans with that. Actually, neither will you get good, clear heavies either.

Sounds like you want versatility in your tone, so why are you looking at extremely hi output pickups? Look into stuff that's more versatile. Dime gave a good example in the Duncan's JB. Alternatively, you might wanna search on Tesla pick ups, which is what I have on my mahogany guitar, which is almost similar to agathis (just that it's better :cool: ). Tweak your heavy and clean tones there after with your amp, and pedals.

What's your pick up configuration? H-H or H-S-H or H-S-S?

BTW, IS there a tone that is good for divebombs????

but dimebucker is very trebly right? is it more suitable for agathis? i do want a little bit versatility for my guitar just for the clean part.. my guitar config is H-S-S and the tone means like very high output like those from dimebag's very sensitive to one note etc.

Those high output can be a disadvantage if you dont play the songs corectly.You can expose your mistakes due to the sensitivity of the high output pickups.So you have to be spot on like Dimebad Darrell to have the Dimebucker in your guitar.

You basically want what almost every other guitarist want: a versatile guitar that does good cleans and good gains.

Put this way: Are you expecting a screamo vocalist to sound good singing jazz? Same goes with your pickups. When you have a something that's meant for high gain, expect it to sound mediocre in cleans. It's much better to get a medium output pick up. That way you are standing in the middle ground with your tone. You can get pretty good cleans and pretty good hi gains. They are not exceptional, but they are far from bad.

I do think most importantly, you should take a real, HARD look at what is at fault in current setup, rectify it as much as you can. If it's your pedal setting, tweak it. If it's your amp, upgrade. If it's your pickup or cable, change it. If it's your guitar, mod it or get another one. It's your knowledge, google it.

Above ALL, if it's your fingers, practice.

TONE = (guitar's inherent acoustics+pickups+cables+amp+pedals+guitar knowledge) x (YOUR FINGERS).

Last edited:
okay, i had a look at standardvalue webby, the plasma 3, VR-60 and plasma 2 seemed quite interesting.. Haha. I usually uses clean in the neck position so maybe I shall get those 3 pickups... don't know if it's possible to get people at guitarworkshop to help me make a pickguard which is H-H-H...

Anw, thanks for Dime and THOA's reply haha.

Last edited:
My strat does excellent cleans and high gain. Low output bill lawrence l200 in the neck and a high output dimarzio fast track 2 the bridge. All that pantera shit, bluesy jazz fusion and so much more.

I suscribe to the philosophy of a hot humbucker in the bridge for chuggy stuff. Moreover, its not just about pickups you also have to take your amp, guitar and effects into the equation.

+1 to tesla plasma III. its a high output passive. passive! no batteries required!
then u have to place it with a extreme high gain pedal, the tubeSCREAMER!! ok i kidd. but yeah tesla's good. though not a fan of the Extreme model, too sharp. try it at standard value.

another would be dimarizio deactivators. high output passive too. works great distorted and clean. have them in my ibanez xiphos.

I wanted to say x2n, but then you wanted good cleans as well...

jack of all trades are masters of none, i must say

maybe, you can try deactivator X

Back