Setting action on electric guitars?

amoslu

Today was setting action on my new strings. Went down from 011 to 010s. Anyway, my guitar buzzes alot when i strum hard if i set my action at about 2 mm at the 14th fret. If i set the truss rod and bridge saddles at a level that it does not buzz, its almost 3 mm at the 14th fret...is there something wrong with my guitar or is it supposed to be like that?

3rd-5th frets are the easiest to buzz if i play harder, but mainly on the fourth fret. on the fourth fret, the A, D and G are the easiest to get buzzing.

Okay, sounds like a neck bow issue.

I suggest you setup your neck to perfect straight, then adjust your bridge to the action you like from the 15th fret on. After you are happy with your 15th fret on action, adjust your neck bow till you like your 3rd - 9th fret action. Note you don't need to bow your neck to get acceptable buzz.

Btw, if the buzz is not coming out of the amp on clean, its okay... a little buzz is standard for very low action... unless you have perfect frets and a light touch.

hmms, but its my fretted notes that are the culprits, the open strings are fine, and theres a little clearance at the first fret when fretting the second fret. Just trying to ascertain if its my fault in setting action or my guitar's fault, so i can decide whether to get a pro to set the action for me...

Yea.... go slow... you can learn a lot there...

Rem, if you feel your wood resisting... go slow and let it rest between adjustments... if you feel it cracking, you better stop. ;)

Anyway, if i need to get the guitar action reset where do i go? Somewhere cheap i guess, no much cash now...

i tried to adjust my epip lowering the strings to make it more playable
now i get buzz on 3 fret on 2 of my strings
no matter how i adjust now it jus appear on diff part of the neck
damn did i broke it?!

bigrabbit: no, anything is rectifiable (sp?) unless u really broke sumthing...

amoslu: Luther's there does setting up of action for $25...

Back