RW/RP question related to pickups with 4-conductor wirings

stillwater

Hello guitar players,
have queries relating to RW/RP. not sure if i can find an answer here, else will try duncan's forum.

1) H-H
say i have a H-H guitar, in the middle position, if i split both, am i able to get hum-cancelling effect? I have tried on various dimarzios, never worked. Never tried on duncans though. Can anyone advise on whether i've missed out any steps, only certain models allows that, or its impossible for 2 humbuckers to get hum-cancelling effect when split?

2) H-S-H
similiar query, but on H-S-H, on position 2 and 4 when (humbucker)splitted. im aware many dimarzio-equipped RGs works with a true middle single. but will this work on any 4-wire humbucker, or applies to certain models only. n wat abt H-S(stack)-H, or rather H-H-H (if u prefer to call it), on position 2 n 4 if i split?

thanks in advance!

Re: RW/RP question related to pickups with 4-conductor wirin

If u spilt both humbuckers to only the north coil, it obviously won't be humcancelling. What u have to do is to split one humbucker to only the north coil and the other to the south coil. Then it would humcancelling. Same principal for the HSH config. Both humbuckers u split, u have to activate the coil which is reverse from the middle single coil.

Hi fretless6, thanks for your advise.
say for H-H, if wire my humbuckers your way(1 north, 1 south), i would get the hum-cancelling effect in the middle when splitted, but when both in full humbucker mode, they'll be out of phase rite?

stillwater - for the H-H, u want to select the inner coils of both pickups? that would be possible, and humcancelling. Given the correct wiring of course.

i have a megaswitch installed on my Washburn which selects outer coils and inner coils, as well as neck, bridge and both.

if i'm not wrong, when both selected, they're in series? not very sure here... my electronics theory sucks big time.

here's the wiring i followed:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH5L1102

in all positions thou, no hum.

stillwater said:
Hi fretless6, thanks for your advise.
say for H-H, if wire my humbuckers your way(1 north, 1 south), i would get the hum-cancelling effect in the middle when splitted, but when both in full humbucker mode, they'll be out of phase rite?

There shouldn't be any difference when both are in humbucking mode. Just wire em as "normal". Just ground the north coil on one and south coil on the other when u wanna do the split.

As thor666 said, guitarelectronics.com is a good resource for more layman wiring diagrams.

thanks a lot guys, for all your advises...

for H-H, im actually using a normal 3 way switch, with just ONE push-pull pot to split both humbuckers.

wondering with existing components, am i able to parallel both single coils(from each humbucker) hum-cancelling, yet not getting the 2 humbuckers out-of-phase in the middle position? it seems impossible to wire the 2 humbuckers the normal way, yet getting parallel single-coils noiseless...

btw how does the 5-way mega-switch cost? thanks!

the 5way megaswitch costs $25 at davis. it's slightly bigger than a normal 5 way at the bottom.

lemme think of the wiring for a while. i'm not good at them but i just started out making sense of wirings in general.

stillwater said:

for H-H, im actually using a normal 3 way switch, with just ONE push-pull pot to split both humbuckers.

wondering with existing components, am i able to parallel both single coils(from each humbucker) hum-cancelling, yet not getting the 2 humbuckers out-of-phase in the middle position? it seems impossible to wire the 2 humbuckers the normal way, yet getting parallel single-coils noiseless...

Here u go

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T1104

fretless6 said:
stillwater said:

Here u go

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T1104

wow, brilliant!
took me some time to understand it though.
thanks fretless!

You will only get hum cancelling when 2 single coils are used together. One of them has to be rw/rp. Remember this is all relative. On duncan pickups, the series link is the red and white. If u ground this, u will be using the slug coil rather than the screw coil. If u split such that both slug coils are used, they obviously won't be humcancelling.

What you can do is, flip the magnet on either humbucker, and on that humbucker which u flipped the magnet, reverse the polarity of the wires, i.e black and green becomes the series link and white becomes hot and red becomes ground. This way, both slug coils when used together can be humcancelling. This can be complicating and I'm not expecting everyone to understand what's going on here, so feel free to ask questions.

Refer to this post for more information on determining polarity.
http://www.soft.com.sg/new/modules....c&t=7489&sid=f9feaf1d869582053b6ae8d994429d47

cheers,
KC

Wiring for 5-way switching for HSH , Ibanez style of
1. Neck
2. Neck split inner coil in parallel with middle
3. MIddle
4. Bridge split inner coil in parallel with middle
5. Bridge

And 5-way switching for HH guitar, Ibanez style of
1. Neck
2. Neck in parallel
3. Neck and Bridge
4. Bridge and Neck split inner coils in parallel
5. Bridge

All can be found on the Dimarzio website. If you are using an Ibanez guitar, then the wiring specific to that will be on the Ibanez wiring page.

NOTE: The Ibanez 5-way switch is a special switch. It can attain the above wirings despite having less lugs than the Megaswitch

Back