roland

I quote from sonic state´s review:

"Eftychis Sifakis (sifakis@csd.uch.gr) writes:

This workstation´s main drawback is the rather old sound source it carries (SC-55). *The sounds are of rather poor quality*, with only a few exceptions. Nevertheless, although not being a unit of professional calibre, it is *equipped with a quite comprehensive sequencer*, with an ease of use that often makes me to leave aside my computer for most editing purposes. It could be considered a unit well-suited for beginners"

* * added by me

Based a search in prepal.com, the price of the JW-50 should be about Sin$530 to $550 based on condition.

If you are on a tight budget, go for it. If your budget is more flexible, hunt for something better.

jk

thanks.. for the input..... guess it back to the drawing board then...

any other ideas? budget is below 300... tho might make a few exceptions here and there

im torn between a midi controller and a decent soundin keyboard

It is difficult to get a good keyboard at this price.

You may try City Music and check whether their Korg Wavestation is still available @ $350. At least you get a reasonable keybaord with a interesting sound engine.

Then add another $50 for a sound blaster live and use sound fonts (some of which can be downloarded for free) as your sound source. (don´t forget, even good romplers like the XV5080 are just sample playback machines).

So there, a decent sound set up for $400. (much better than when I started 16 years ago - $1,600 just got me a Roland JX-8P with 6 voice polyphony and that´s it!).

hmmm thanks for the input... in fact i own an audigy d.e. one of the cheaper models of the audigy series, same soundchip minus the breakout box. would u recommend the midiman oxygen?

The Midiman Oxygen is about $250, has 25 keys, and no sound engine.

The Korg Wavestation is a 61 note keyboard with a high quality sound engine and was blown out of City Music at $350. (a very good price considering that it was $2000 new 10 years ago).

So, UNLESS

1) space is an issue

2) you perform live and hence need to lug your gear around

3) don´t play chords in your music (Hey, Erasure made it to no 1 in UK playing Abba covers w/o chords some 10 years ago)

4) you hate programming sounds

The answer is a no-brainer - get the Korg!

If it´s all sold out and you like small keyboards, try the Korg Prophecy (alittle pricier at $600). It is monophonic but it can transmit polyphonic data (ie you can play chords on the Audigy).

Attachments

• ChoppaMusicFest.jpg
    ChoppaMusicFest.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 826
yeah i checked out citymusic and couldnt find the wave station... id definetly get it if its still around.. dun know why it sint there anyway... forgot to ask...

u mean a midi controller cant play chords?

or maybe im better off wit a $300-400 casio keyboard (wit pitch bend atleast)?

thanks for your input

>> u mean a midi controller cant play chords?

No. What I meant was that:

1) the Prophecy can´t play chords since it is monophonic but it can transmit (via MIDI) chords to other synth modules.

2) the OXYGEN keyboard is quite short (25 notes). You may not be able to articulate all the chords you want on this little keyboard. It´s probably ok if you do techno or dance, but a definite no-no if you do jazz, prog rock or even complex pop.

jk

yeah.... thot as much.... thanks for solidifying my initial thot abt gettin the oxygen.

sigh... im stilll without any ideas

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>

On 2003-02-25 22:42, input_output wrote:

yeah i checked out citymusic and couldnt find the wave station... id definetly get it if its still around.. dun know why it sint there anyway... forgot to ask...

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

after reading this i checked yesterday with Mike of Citymusic and he confirmed the wavestation is sold out.... sigh..... i was kinda looking forward to getting one too.

yeah... i had the exact same feelin... dat was prob the only affordable synth for me

are they gonna get anymore u think?

Don´t think so dude. Those are the last stocks of whatever they couldn´t sell when they initially got them all those years ago. I don´t think they even make wavestations anymore!

But don´t worry, there will be others. City Music has it´s blowout sale every year in December so if you can wait that long, and come early, then a good deal can most certainly be had!

Have you tried the Korg XD5 yet? Last time i was there it was going real cheap, less than 500 i think. But the keyboard feels quite springy tho.

sigh.. guess i´ll juz have to wait out till a good sale comes along.. cant find anythin on the net for korg xd5.. how a bout the korg prophecy? kinda too pricey for me but may make an exception

>> sigh.. guess i´ll juz have to wait out till a good sale comes along.. cant find anythin on the net for korg xd5..

Don´t worry. Look out for synths that are 5 years or older. They should be in your price range.

Example :

Roland D10, D50, XP10

Yamaha CS1X, SY77

Korg M1, Wavestation

Look up www.prepal.com for a rough idea of 2nd hand prices (in US dollars).

jk

Hi Input Output, look out for the JX8P here:

http://classifieds.singnet.com.sg/details.cfm?id=53

It actually not bad as a master keyboard. It is velocity sensitive and has aftertouch.

Polyphony wise it loses out to newer rompler synths but this is one of the last great digital-analogue hybrids.

I have one and the quality of the sound makes up for the lose of quanity in polyphony.

It is especially good for pads and most analogue sounds. Bass is powerful but because of the slowness of the envelope, it does not sound as tight as the Juno 106.

Buy one, sample it with your audigy and use the sounds.

jk

´IF´ this is the same seller, d jx8p will have ´a few notes cannot play´ as he described to me. Not so good as a master keyboard then.

woah.... thanks for the heads up..

would u guys rather get and old model dats cheap

or get a newer model dats is kinda expensive?

>> would u guys rather get and old model dats cheap

or get a newer model dats is kinda expensive?

Hi input output (could I just call you i/o?)

Really depends on the synth. If it´s one which you heard during your growing up years but never had the chance to own, you ould probably pay a fortune for a used synth in mint condition (example headhunter and his Roland JP-8). Moreover, some old synths are a bargain. But be careful and test them well before buying because parts may be difficult to come by.

A brand new synth may not be the best buy because the company may charge a premium if it is based on a new tech and once the R&D costs has been recouped, prices drop. Example: the 1987 Roland D550 (~$1.8K) costs more than a 1994 JV1080 (~$1.6K) which costs more than a 2002 XV5050 (~$1.3k). (Price at launch)

Good luck in your hunt,

jk

[/quote] Hi input output (could I just call you i/o?)[/quote]

LOL!:lol:

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>Really depends on the synth. If it´s one which you heard during your growing up years but never had the chance to own, you ould probably pay a fortune for a used synth in mint condition (example headhunter and his Roland JP-8). </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe.... i have been going on about that haven´t i? Lovely synth that.....

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>Moreover, some old synths are a bargain. But be careful and test them well before buying because parts may be difficult to come by.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes like the JP8 has got stability issues with the earlier models. but then you´re talking about a synth that´s 20+ years old! Anything that came after MIDI (and with MIDI) is almost guaranteed to be of very good build. However, they still need servicing from time to time, and let´s not forget BATTERY REPLACEMENT. Easy on some, impossible to do by yourself on others.

>> Yes like the JP8 has got stability issues with the earlier models. but then you´re talking about a synth that´s 20+ years old! Anything that came after MIDI (and with MIDI) is almost guaranteed to be of very good build.

Before MIDI, synths were transistor based. More prone to tuning instability, heat issues and breakdown.

After MIDI, synths are bulit using integrated circuits (IC). Therefore, taken to the logical conclusion, they became computers with the sole purpose of producing sound. Also the knobs, sliders disappeared and with less moving parts, reliabiltiy also improved.

jk

Back