roland xp-10

input_output

hi guys need yer input again... the guy posted thes on the board for $550 wit a stand and bag.. is it worth it? im venturin into unknown territory here... but the net review seems to be convincin.. beside the fact that its old...

Attachments

• hitmaker.jpg
    hitmaker.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 19,139
Few thoughts about XP-10

1) 28 note polyphony (less if layered)

2) GS format - sounds are only minimally programmable. Cannot start from scratch, must start from a "template".

3) XP label is a marketing ploy to ride on the professional series of XP-30, XP-50, Xp-60 & XP-80

4) May better off buying a cheapo sound card with Wavetable terminal & DB50XG card. (<$100) + a MIDI keyboard.

5) Able to connect to computer via serial computer to host cable. Problem : Swee Lee doesn´t sell the cable. You have to get it made at Sim Lim Square.

jk

Attachments

• I-Love-Music-Schedule-1400x788.jpg
    I-Love-Music-Schedule-1400x788.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 10,415
well i guess im better off gettin a cheap midi keyboard then... sigh...

im sure there a re some good entry level one below $400

thanx for the input

Not entirely true.

Give it a go and see if you can live with the limitations.

Don´t agree to $550 immediately. See the condition of the keyboard before you make an offer. Try it out well because it´s your only keyboard, you cannot afford to have any "dead" keys.

But I would have to say there´s really nothing here that your Audigy cannot do with a good General MIDI soundfont. (don´t forget your Audigy has MIDI controllable parameters as well since it is a GM synth cum sampler).

THe $550 you spend may not give you the biggest bang for the buck.

Good luck,

jk

Attachments

• Terence_Ho_Parliament.jpg
    Terence_Ho_Parliament.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,366
well see dats the thing.. i dun know really know how to capitalise the full potential of my audigy... dun really know how to use the midi capabilites to its full potential.. any help would be much appreciated

thanks

Attachments

• Aaron_Spears_2020.jpg
    Aaron_Spears_2020.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 24
>> dun really know how to use the midi capabilites to its full potential.. any help would be much appreciated

The unfortuante thing about Creative Products is that the manuals are really scanty.

You could try download soundfonts onto your card using the Soundfont Program under AudioHQ and then playing back using the keyboard program (no external keyboard needed).

Perhaps, you could advise which sequencing program you are using for a start before I give you further advice.

If you run Cubase, this may be helpful. There´s othere for Cakewalk´s stuff as well.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3509/sbmix.htm

jk

Attachments

• sgmuso_covid.jpg
    sgmuso_covid.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 137
well im runnin sonar xl 2.0, cep 2.0, fruityloops 3. the only midi sendin instrument i have now is a zoom rt-123 (only midi in)

err anythin els u need to know?

runnin win2k os

thanks

Attachments

• musicmatters_stream.jpg
    musicmatters_stream.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 131
I can´t stress how great the micro korg is for just simple electronic music. Unless of course you´re looking for full size keys.

Seriously though, another alternative would be something like an oxygen or radium from m-audio. ( controllers only ) and then couple that with soft synths. ( if you´re doing the cheong version it´s even cheaper )

Probably will need to bounce down to audio tracks if the processor usage goes too high up.

Back