Roland TB-303

newbie100

tb303.jpg

Roland TB-303
One of the most important musical instruments in recent music hitory, The Roland TB-303 was a failure at its intended purpose.

The 303 was designed to be an "automatic Bass machine". It was introduced in the early 80's along with the TR-606 Drumatix drum machine. The two were relatively inexpensive, and were intended to provide a rhythm section backup. Meant to be a backup machine for practicing or for demos, the TB could be programmed with 16-step patterns that could then be arranged into songs. Unfortunately, it was difficult to program and more trouble than it was worth for most musicians. Roland stopped producing them after only 18 months!

In the late 80's, they could be bought for almost nothing in pawn shops. Around '87, DJ's in detroit began tweaking the knobs of a TB-303 while the bassline played a sequence. Paired with a TR-909 drum machine, it created a unique danceable sound. The rest is history. The TB-303 became a part of most of the electronica styles since then, including acid, house and trance.

Several features of the 303 give it its unique sound. First is the accent. The accent can be triggered on any step, and it adds a little voltage to the VCA and the VCF. This makes the accented notes seem louder and brighter than unaccented notes.

Several other aspects contribute to its unique sound. The slide is constant, no matter what notes you jump between. The filter is an 18 db/octave resonant low-pass filter. Most other analog synths used Moog-like 24 db/octave filters, or 12 db/octave filters. The filter effect is modified by five knobs, which adds a great deal of flexibility.

In performance, the TB is rarely used as it is intended. Instead, musicians program a simple 16-step pattern which loops continuously, while the performer tweaks the various knobs. The musicianship lies in knowing which knobs produce various effects, and doing this in a fashion that brings the music to crescendos and climaxes.

Because of its seminal place in the last 15 years of electronica, the TB has become one of the most imitated and revered synths of all time. Prices for 303's run up to $1,000, or even more if it is in pristine condition, or has desired modifications. This has inspired dozens of imitators, most notably the Novation BassStation and the Future-Retro 777. The 777 is the only new synth to capture not only the unique sound of the TB, but also the unique sequencer.

Resources:

TB-303.org
Devil Fish mods
TB-303 schematics
TB-303 Operation Manual

tb303.jpg

Overrated - definitely. I wonder who will go all the way out just to get one of these. By $1000, I gather you mean USD. Well, I've got a sampled library containing the TB303 sounds sampled from the original machine - and it cost me about 20USD (inlcuding other samples like the TR-909). I don't know what's so great about the sound - I still find it to be quite easily imitated.

YEAH with all the VSTi available (some almost sounding like the real thing), i sometimes wonder if hardware is really necessary.

:( sadly i need some hardware for performing, not many who wants to listen to a girl with a laptop.

sadly i need some hardware for performing, not many who wants to listen to a girl with a laptop.

"Sadly" ??? WTF, not many want to see a performer with a laptop, it's not a gender thing. laptop are sooo boring.

Come on, try the real thing ! ;)

BTW, does anyone know a good place to repair a tb303 in singapore ?
sh'es getting old, and need to change the battery, but dont know how to.
thanks !

Last edited:
u could sell yours to us. we don't mind spolit ones.

...to refurbish it and then sell it for a grand? kekeke :D

No matter how realistic samples can be digitally reproduced, it definitely lacks that meticulous "umph" factor especially when it comes to playing and tweaking...any analog synth lovers wanna second that? Perhaps that's why some vintage kybds are valued so much so people are willing to pay a high price for them.

i actually have a use for it. really!

anyways, its the old skool vintage vibe that has all the ppl go gaga over. i'm a big vintage fan myself. samples are way better in terms of manipulation.

It's not just the sound, it's the interface as well. If you spend all day at work sitting at a computer, it nice to produce music without one. Dedicated controls and a hardware sequencer are a very different experience to working with a laptop and a controller. Its tactile, real-time and aural as opposed to a DAW package which is for the most part abstract, visual and non real-time.

With a devilfish modded 303 you can hook it up with a modular synth and do all sorts of cross modulations that are very difficult to achieve with a sampler.

If you are mad for the 303 experience sans the fetishism and crazy ebay prices then check out the xoxbox. It's a component for component replica of the original 303 circuits. There are available as kits or some people sell prebuilt ones.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/

From the description of TB303, many of the knot is controlling the signal in the analog form, not in digital domain. Every knot,transistors and op amp will contribution to the unique sound to this machine.

Back