Rocktron: Rampage

subversion

RocktronRampageDistortionBig.jpg

Rocktron Rampage
List: $115

Rocktron’s Rampage, as the descriptive would have suggested, is a distortion pedal for the more demanding players, drive-wise that is. Many of us would be a little disheartened by the countless distortion units out there because the drive intensity could have been more intense but this is a common misconception when it comes to anything ‘distortion’. Nevertheless, if you wish for more distortion onslaught, you’d be glad to know that the manufacturer offers up to 75dB of gain for that extra prick.

Construction/ features
The Rampage is another pedal in Rocktron’s line up featuring the interesting extruded aluminum housing. This typically refers to the ribbed pedal surface proximate to the button footswitch to promote grip. The control panel layout is also located at a recessed upper area to avoid accidental tweaking during play. The pedal in its entirety is a rugged unit which will live through your most rigorous gigs for sure.

The control knobs you see here are the chicken head variety; while it’s the wrong design to be residing in a non-vintage livery, it’s the right ones to promote good grasp. The EQ section has full access to the lower (BASS) & upper (TREBLE) frequencies while the SCOOP option helps you push either of the aforementioned frequencies to taste. The remainder 2 knobs ensure the amount (LEVEL) of drive (SUSTAIN) you employ are at your behest.

While we applaud the manufacturer’s inclusion of a flip-type battery access, the side located PSU outlet remains to be Rocktron’s design oversight.

Rating: 80%

Tone
In use, the manufacturer’s promise of more distortion is clearly heard here. The drive sweep is impressively wide, one is able to pull off a mild DS-1 type setting quite easily at lower sustain levels. Turn this control up & more menacing drive kicks in quite easily. The EQ options here let the player adopt a scooped type voicing or employ the Rampage as a solo booster; the SCOOP control is potent for this application. Nevertheless, if you are looking for a dedicated midrange bump, the pedal is quite disinclined in this light as no such frequency measures are offered.

How does the Rampage fair as a secondary drive source then? It does the job well to boost another drive pedal in the chain but sounds more appealing with an amp’s lower drive settings. If your amp features a Vintage/ Crunch channel, the Rampage works in conjunction with it to ensure some tempestuous moments.

Tone test equipment:
*Guitars: Fender Highway1 HSS/ Gibson Les Paul Studio
*Amp: Marshall Mini Stack ZW

Rating: 85%

Conclusion
The Rampage is easily one of the more aggressive distortion units in the market & it remains to be sensibly affordable. While the overall tone on offer is generally amiable, a dedicated midrange offering would propel the Rampage into the more dynamic performers among its peers. All in all, if you are in the market for a more engaging distortion unit, the Rampage is recommended.

Overall rating: 83%

*Rugged construction
*Price

Dislikes
*Side located PSU access
*No midrange control

Worthy competitors:
*MXR Double Shot Distortion
*BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
*Marshall Guv’nor Plus
*Digitech Hot Head
*Guyatone Harmonic Distortion HD-2
*Carl Martin Rock Drive
*Behringer Ultra Distortion UD-100

PS: Thanks to ebenex for the review invitation

tone is subjective..
why don't you get off you lazy ass and head down to ebenex and try both, and judge them by yourself. after all, it's YOU who's buying it right? :wink:

the DS-1's drive remains mild even when you max out the distortion- it was meant to be like this. the Rampage has a wider drive sweep (as mentioned in the review), one can adopt a DS-1 setting & set it up to fry; no problems for this pedal.

also, the DS-1 has a single tone control, conpared to the dedicated 3-knob affair of the Rampage.

keep in mind that the Rampage isn't a mild distortion type unit to begin with. the DS-1 is a 'wrong' pedal for the competition, hence the inclusion of the DS-2 in the worthy competitors list.

great, now just waiting for the reviews on the rest of the rocktron pedals to be reviewed.

Great job sub :smt023

i'm giving priority to the Rocktron drive type pedals. in the queue:

*Metal Planet
*Sonic Glory
*Silver Dragon

no problem.

artec pedals are on their way.

you may wish to review them too.

like the rocktrons, some of them do sound pretty good and they represent excellent value for money.

most of the pedals will be priced at $85, with a couple at $99 and a few others at $109.

thanks.

regards,

david

just wondering does this pedal produce humming/ feedback? is it common for distortion pedals to produce it at high gain levels? cos i'm using a marshall guvnor and am using a humbucker guitar. and everytime i jam, i get feedback. and if i lower e gain, it affects my tone. is this pedal suitable for me?

yes- drive type pedals induce background hum, more so if:

*if you use 2 or more in the chain
*utilizing an amp which isn't grounded
*utilizing a non-low noise cable

IMO you need a noise gate 8) refer to the Carl Martin Noise Terminator review...

does the this rocktron rampage reduce noise as stated? cos i'm quite irritated by the feedback produced by my marshall guvnor, especially when i jam. i play high gain stuff. yeap.

the Rampage in isolated use is a quiet pedal only to be let down by other noise-inducing factors as listed in my previous post.

i like the sound even though there is a little hissing but it sounds great. the only thing i experienced was if i turn on the rampage and maybe the SD-1, there will be a very loud hiss and mixture of tones but i still love this pedal. i now use is as my main distortion sound !!!!

hip hip hooray..

for me, its really worth my money !!!!

the loud hiss is expected for a 2-pedal setup. it is also present if you boost your amp's drive channel with a mild drive pedal.

one way to have this reduced is to employ a noise gate.

Back