What do you think of Rivermaya?

• One of the best bands!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I LOVE THEM TO BITSS!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
River Maya Boring!

The New Line UP of RiverMaya is really dissapointing! haaay :(
Honestly they are better when Perf De Castro is the lead guitarist.He came frm my barrio of musikero in (Cabadbaran)Butuan City ,Agusan Del Norte!Mindanao(Bisaya kong DAKU 8) BAsta Bisaya Kulba! :D
My Former Band did the opening for them in Butuan in 1995.They came back in Butuan in '97 WITHOUT pERF's (Rico took the guitar duty then naku po (PEOPLE THERE THROWING ANYTHING TO THEM) :cry:
I understand why Perf left the group coz they have a lot air on their head especially Rico but no talent. I May Sound Rude :roll: but what i'm saying is true.then BAMboo & Nathan left. Now Rivermaya nothing left.(TALENT) Theyre songs now are crap and bubble gum chewy chewy :lol:
My Former Band Did All the Opening for Eraser Heads,River Maya,Introvoys The Dawn,Teeth,Rizal Underground,Wolfgang,Yano & others but the best band among them are the likes of Rockstar(feat.Paul Sapiera),Hayp Band, Prizm,Neo Colors,SIde A ,Power Play Band (Gary V's Band) & Blind Faith Band(A Group Of Blind Musician Who Rock and Shake Our Gymnasium!!!!!!
This Are The BEST,True Blooded & Talented Musicians and Bands that we Have in Our Mother Land PHILIPPINES MY PHILLIPINES!

mike elgar is a good guitarist on his own right. but he is in a different genre. more into indie, britpop, emo/punk.

perf de castro is admittedly a guitar virtuoso and is more into blues, jazz, funk and rock n roll.

rivermaya now is pop rock. so what do we expect hehe

anyways, support our local artists. enough with the crab mentality

Perf plays classical now-a-days with his 10-string guitar. See his site for clips and pics http://www.perfdecastro.com/

He also frequents the http://talk.philmusic.com forums.

I also prefer the old Rivermaya, when Perf de Castro was lead guitarist, Bamboo was singing, and Rico was using his keyboard skils.
But i don't agree na Rico has no talents. He is actually a very good song-writer and musician.

Rico No Talent & Crab Mentality?

Rico Got Talent :?: It depend in our invidual standard that we set. Yes, He can right songs, You Want To know what Talent IS:?: SIDE A & SOUTH BORDER is what I can call real talent. Maybe you don't know that a lot of unknown good song writer in Phil. was not given a chance to come up but instead their songs was bought over by so called great song writer :evil: Due to hardship they agree on this lopsided system.It's really happening in our mother land.Are you Surprised! NO RIGHT! 8O
I'm No Crab Mentality! But I love Crabs.I Endorsed Chilli Crab At Ang Mo Kio Ave.3 Blk232 :) But I believe most of you are still Totoy :oops: in this Line.I'm provoking Your thoughts, so that you'll open your eyes 8O.I support Our Local Talent for 20 long years.
I'm Born In AGUSAN! Birthplace & Home of Perfs, Pendong Aban of ASIN,Grace NONO,Lumber Jacks( 60's band back up of EDDIE PERIGRINA) J Brothers, Joseph Lansang of Rain Makers etc. I think now you fully understand me.
Ang Buhay koy tanging ikaw Philippines my Philippines!

No, I don't understand you.
You just agreed na he can write songs, pero you questioned if he's got talent. huh?

And, I'm aware na alot of good song writers in PH are being left undiscovered and that some known writers do buy songs from other people and claim it as their own. However, what's that got to do with Rico? If you're implying that he's one of them, then you better have proof to support it.

Making such provoking claims without any reference to facts is not healthy in this kind of forum. It kinda shows that you're a Totoy too.

For me talented song writer is like Jay Durias of South Border.So like i said it depend in our own standard that you set.
Hey! Bro.I'm not putting unhealthy comments here,this is a Pool.
This Is only My Opinion! You have Yours!Don't be biased just bcoz they are PH band.
:D Bro :wink: ! touch your heart!

I'm no fan of Rico. In fact, I don't like him at all. I don't think I'm being bias. I'm just being fair.

My point is just that you have your preference, pero doesn't mean someone doesn't have talent just because you don't like his style or his songs.

Anyway, I agree, Jay Durias is good! Peace bro :D

its the same formula man. older folks talking about their generation was better. im pretty sure those who grew up with the pinoy bands of the 70's have another band list to say these are the best bands. then those from the 60's say again otherwise.

but we should always support the local scene, if you dont like a band or a particular genre, best you can do is not to bash them for something that you dont understand.

Errr!:roll: I think I understand A bit Bro! :lol: MAybe You Don't.I've just figure out this one note that has many colors: A, Ab7(b9,13), A7b9, G7(9,13), Gbm7, F#7(#9), F37(#9,#13), Fmaj7, Fmaj7(#5), E7(9,11)(=D on E),Eb6(9,#11), Eb7(b5,9), D7(9), Dbm7(#5), Db7(9,13), C7(9,13), C6, Bm7, B7, Bbmaj7, Bbmaj7(9,6), Aadd9. then Play this C-Am-Dm-G7-C. so Is it the same formula?
Bro.In the 60's you can't go on the stage unless you can play your instrument or sing like Beatles,Hendrix,Stones,Joe Pass,Duke Ellington. In 70's They won't call you a guitarist unless you can play "Hotel California",Smoke on The Water,Eruption,Bohemian Rhasody, James Brown stuff, JUAN DELA CRUZ, SAMPAGUITA, etc. In 80's you need to play Rossana, Jump, any shred or fusion music to be called "LEAD GUITARIST" and be able to accompany any song if there's A guest singer going up to stage to sing the famous "MY WAY" Errr! Maybe Ask Your Oldman to sing this and accompany him without knowing the chords just use your ears to follow him. Hmmmn...Disappointed! early 90's you still need to play some 80's like Mr.BIG,White Lion, Bon Jovi.Guns N Roses,SIDE A, NEO COLORS,HAYP BAND etc.
AND Now :!: Strap Yer Guitar,Wear Yer Black Jeans & Shirt & learn C-F-G Viola! You Are A Guitar Player Now. MAMA MIA! MAma Mia! Mama Mia! Figaro! MAGNIFICO!!!!!!
Question Of The DAy: Why These CAts was not Born Today?
EERRR :roll: Try Wally's Blues first! by our very own WAllY GONZALES of JUAN DELA CRUZ! then You Will Understand. PEACE BRO! There's No Bashing Here!

Errr! I think I understand A bit Bro! MAybe You Don't.figure this one note has many colors: A, Ab7(b9,13), A7b9, G7(9,13), Gbm7, F#7(#9), F37(#9,#13), Fmaj7, Fmaj7(#5), E7(9,11)(=D on E),Eb6(9,#11), Eb7(b5,9), D7(9), Dbm7(#5), Db7(9,13), C7(9,13), C6, Bm7, B7, Bbmaj7, Bbmaj7(9,6), Aadd9. then Play this C-Am-Dm-G7-C. so Is it the same formula?

i was talking about this formula
its the same formula man. older folks talking about their generation was better.

i think your definition of being talented is if they play under scales and other technical definitions

i have listened to wally gonzalez. im a big fan of JDC. and im a johnny allegre fan as well. but why will you compare them to the likes of mike elgar?

mike elgar never claimed to be a guitar virtuso. he is plainly a guitarist for rivermaya. rivermaya is song-driven, they emphasize on lyrics and melodies that the average youth today can relate to. so dont expect them to be as technical

you explained it yourself, the definition of rock changes everytime. it just so happens that pop rock today doesnt require technicality, just creativity and getting that catchy hook. either live with it or go back on a time machine

Pop Rock today doesn't require technicality coz in the first place todays pop rock musicians really don't have technique & ability.Do you mean musicians today can't play?
60's,70's or 80's music.
The Musician musical knowledge reflects in His/Her song writing & playing!

Want catchy? Try YOYOY VILLAME :lol:

im pretty sure other musicians today are very talented but today's song trends arent technical compared to say the 90's where you have to shred to get respect. first of all its pop rock we are talking about. i repeat... pop rock

hmm youre saying yoyoy villame has no talent also?

hehe so only those from agusan are talented. ok man whatever you say, this discussion is getting too long :lol:

Errr! :roll: I play for YOYOY for 4 outings eh! HE has more talent the any Pinoy Indie or the so called pop rock Band today! :lol:

Errr! kapatid, Don't go to other Xtreme! I didn't say that only Agusanon are good musician, But we set a high bar of standard.
As A Pinoy We Have to set our musical standard high, In our mind we keep thinking, that we are the best! But we forget our neighbouring countries are catching up.MAlaysia,Indonesia & Singapore are producing INternational Artist Now, 80% of Pub & Hotels here in Singapore are taken by THai bands already.Coz We demand high pay but low in productivity.During My Time tHE TALK OF THE TOWN Here ARE the FILIPINO BANDS,The LIKE's of PRYZM,FIRE LIGHTS,Z BAND,THE VOYS,ARCHANGEL'S,HOCUS FOCUS,ISPRIKITIK,PREFACE BAND etc.
And I'm proudly part of it.
SO for all the Musicians brothers there It's time to buck up!

check:this Malysian Artist: samtriggy.com in youtube, to see the fact that we're behind already.

Lame

The New Line UP of RiverMaya is really dissapointing! haaay :(
Honestly they are better when Perf De Castro is the lead guitarist.

I agree. The old Rivermaya was the Sh*t... songs like "Awit ng Kabataan", "Gravity". 214... etc.. Now, they are just some pop cutie girly ballad... :rolleyes::???: lame music, in my opinion.

sorry to burst your bubble of rivermaya . I like their song You'll be safe here and when i heard it i thought they were a really good band. But when i heard them on Asian idol, they sounded terrible.I think this is the common problem faced by many bands. Many bands sound dam good in recordings but in live the suck.

Personally, I think they suck! Such a disgrace to the Filipinos who normally are good musicians. They are just some average players.

-I agree w/ ANKh, They are just average band! Rico shoudn't use the name Rivermaya coz like what 1've said before the new line up wasn't great than the original.No doubt Rico bring the band now to a higher level comercially but not musically.
-Former members like Bamboo (vocals) Perfs (Guitars) Nathan (Bass) was the heart & soul of the band.Rico can write songs but as a arranger he sucks.
- I was wondering why they send Rivermaya to perform in Asian Idol?If they join the competition,they will lost too.
-We have Side A , Free style, Southborder & others to represent Philippines, It was very frustrating.

Back