rethinking music (workshop) @ NUS MUSEUM

emphibian

hello world,

from the 17th - 19th of May, i will be conducting a workshop based on my current research and process in music and performance. if you are interested to attend, you may post a reply here or drop me an email (banitheemphibian at yahoo dot com) and we'll be in touch. feel free to write in or reply with your questions, i'll be more than happy to provide as much responses as i could.

a write up on the workshop:

In his interpretation and definition, music is a subjective listening experience, composed of sounds and no-sounds, encapsulated in a time frame. Rethinking Music is a project by bani haykal as part of his Associate Artist Research Programme with The Substation and in this workshop, collectively embark on an exploration of both the physical and sonic space of music performance through both physical and music / sonic improvisations. The workshop will cover two aspects of his exploration on music making and performance:

(1) Comprovisation, a graphic notation system with an emphasis on collective listening, and;

(2) Sound Scale, an exploration of the musician as a performer, taking a more conscious approach at music performance in both the physical and sonic space.

We would like to invite artists who incorporate or are experimenting with the use of music and/or sounds in their respective work – painting, photography, dance, writing, etc. – for this 3-day workshop.

Venue : NUS Museum 50 Kent Ridge Crescent, University Cultural Center (UCC), NUS
Dates : 17 May (Thursday) + 18 May Friday // 3pm - 8pm
19 May (Saturday) // 12pm - 5pm

if your practice is music or sound related, do bring your instruments and effects (although feel free to use this opportunity to explore a new instrument). if your practice is visual or performance based, you are invited to bring any preferred tools (brushes, drawing paper, camera, physical materials etc) for the workshop.

thanks and hope to see you at the workshop!
better days ahead.

Back