Recording guitars into your computer

empihsrow

Hello guys, I've got a question to ask. Is it possible to record your guitar into your computer's sound card using a pre-amp or even a pedal and get good tones?

Also, any recommendations for cheap multi-effects pedal that can serve effectively as a USB interface?

zoom G2.1

line6 PodXT live or no live.. up to u.. personally prefer the jellybean cuz it looks better on the table..

or just get a line6 GX just a usb port and a jack for your guitar.. very simple.. cheaper than the other 2..

If you have 300 bucks on hand, I highly recommend the POD Studio UX2, sure it costs 292 bucks to be exact, but I can get pretty good recordings on it!

You can hear it at work in the myspace link in my signature.

Cheers mate, UP FOR HOME RECORDINGS!

yeap.. and here's mine..

Song
very old song.. but i still think its the best metal song i've done.

guitar>zoom>computer
but i bypass everything and used computer effects..

Is it possible to record your guitar into your computer's sound card using a pre-amp or even a pedal and get good tones?

Some pedals like Digitech (not sure about the Hardwire series) have to output jacks; one for amp and one for mixer. You would want to use the mixer output for such a setup.

Hello guys, I've got a question to ask. Is it possible to record your guitar into your computer's sound card using a pre-amp or even a pedal and get good tones?

Also, any recommendations for cheap multi-effects pedal that can serve effectively as a USB interface?

Its possible to directly plug-in stompboxes/multi-efx into your PC's soundcard. I've recorded that way before with the line-in of my very-old Mac. It works ok, but there's a noticeable buzz/humm/crackle, though its really, really, faint.. ;)

Nowadays i use the Line-6 Toneport GX interface which is really clean.. Bought that for $80, it was $50 during the sale! And i plugged in a variety of stompboxes (ds1, sd1, rat2, tech 21, phase 90, crybaby) for recordings. Usually used with a clean/or a near dirty virtual amp setting (in Line-6's Gearbox or Guitar Rig 2) for the "correct" sounds i need. Delays are usually softwares.. :D

Cheap multi-efx with USB for direct recordings i've seen are ones by Digitech and Zoom. Not sure of the price and sound though.. :mrgreen:

I've found using a mic and a normal sound recorder works well,but does not sound too professional. I will recommend using pedals with two output ports as it allows you to hear what you are recording

Guitar > PC > Guitar Rig/Garage Band

If you want I can post a sample..Not the greatest of tones but they suffice.

If you can get the Pod, killer tones are waiting for you. Browse the ultimatemetal forums and check out the freelancers' studio projects with the XT..Mind blasting.

What kind of mic you all normally use?
From guitar amp, head phone out to sound card input can?
Is guitar rig a kind of software to record, is it difficult for beginner?

I've found using a mic and a normal sound recorder works well,but does not sound too professional.

FYI, this is how some professionals do it. In fact most purists guitarists would shun going digital.

My advice would be to use a good amp, good mic, and experiment for the sweet spot.

What kind of mic you all normally use?
From guitar amp, head phone out to sound card input can?
Is guitar rig a kind of software to record, is it difficult for beginner?

1) Shure SM57 has always been the standard mic when it comes to recording all kinds of instrument, like guitars. Generally, the mic is placed as close as you can to the amp, off centre from the driver/speaker.

You'll be surprised to know that a lot of times, small wattage amps with 8 - 12 drivers/speakers are used. Sometimes another mic is placed at the back of the amp for a fuller sound, especially done when you have an open/half open back amp.

2) Can.

3) Any new software has a learning curve. Depend on how much time you willing to invest in it.

Thanks Thoa, any cheaper alternative mic for newbie like me?
So from mic then plug to where? I only got zoom g1, that one also use only to tune my guitar.. hehe

zoom G1 doesn't have a USB port right?
but u can output the zoom G1 to your soundcard mic or line in..

guitar rig is a virtual studio technology.. known as VST.. use it like a computer version of multi effects..

To threadstarter: empihsrow, and eieio: one question.. :?:

What recording software(s) are you using now?
With that info, it might be easier (for some of us) to help and provide suggestions.. ;)

lol,any idea which mics and recording software would be good?

I'll recommend Garageband if you're on a Mac. If you're on a PC, go for the FREE TrakAx: http://www.trakax.com/. Like Garageband, its loop-based and its simple to "build drum tracks". I've used it to record some stuff and its quite good, though i still go for Garageband for simplicity/ease in usage.. ;)

Others might recommend Reaper (both Mac and PC) for its great price (US$50 for non-commercial use). Try the demo and decide.. :) http://www.reaper.fm/

Currently i'm using Ableton Live 5.01 and it works great for me! :mrgreen:

lol,any idea which mics and recording software would be good?

Ohhh.. for mics, the SM57 won't go terribly wrong. But there's a whole lot more choices. I won't be giving suggestions as i've not personally recorded guitars with mic(s). No money+no skill+no equipment. I usually go the digital way (Gearbox or Guitar Rig 2 for amps sounds). But i'll usually choose a virtual mic placement of... get this!!: SM57 placed off-axis at speaker cone!! Plus another "virtual mic'd cabinet" of course.. ;)

Anw, check-out THOA's answer earlier regarding mics.. :mrgreen:

echoist thanks, as for me never use any software before..
first time want to try record, thought simple- straight mic> small mixer> deck
u so humble if u got no skill + no equipment, then we got zero zilch nothing. hehe

What recording software(s) are you using now?

I'm using Logic Express 8, bro. Works with any interface that can be used on Mac. Or at least that's what they said. I have heard the tones of Line 6 on Logic before. Yeah, surely killer. But I lack the money. :(

Will Zoom provide me the value-for-money?

I tried lining-in into my sound card using just a distortion pedal. The tone I got was not very satisfying. :/

Hm, will lining-in with multi-effects work any better?

echoist thanks, as for me never use any software before..
first time want to try record, thought simple- straight mic> small mixer> deck
u so humble if u got no skill + no equipment, then we got zero zilch nothing. hehe

Hey, no problem la.. Check-out the software(s) i've listed earlier, i'm sure there'll be one you're going to feel at home with. Then, you can start recording stuff and post them here... ;) :mrgreen:

Back