Recording Amplifiers

empihsrow

Hey, anyone has any good amplifiers (any kind of amplifier which doesn't take up that much space and power) to recommend for bedroom recording? And let's share some techniques of recording amplifiers too!

The 15W Vox Night Train (not the Lil Night Train or the 50W). IMHO if you're recording in a bedroom, chances are you won't be cranking the amp to levels that truly distinguish a tube amp from a solid state amp.

I say this because I've recorded with a Vox AC-15 and a Line 6 Spider III at low volumes (so as not to disturb my newborn niece when she's around) and they're virtually indistinguishable. I guess that means any amp will do :p

But then again, I play pop, fusion and jazz, so I don't need the really high gain tones, which appear to be a lot harder to capture in the bedroom. Anybody have recording experience with metal guitarists?

I record with two mics: a Shure SM-57 on-axis, right at the cone and an Audio Technica AT-2035 at 45 degrees, 6 inches from the cone. Different mics and mic distances from the cone and mic angles will give you different tone. A dynamic mic dead-on will get you clear, crisp, and cutting tone, but it won't be warm and open, so I compensate that with the condenser mic set up to capture more "air".

If you want the simplest, no nonsense way for bedroom recording, just go direct into an audio interface. No need to worry about your volume, mic placement, other noises at home etc.

As to high gain tones, the vast majority of prog/metal home recording projects I've seen go direct and use rack or software amp sims.

Or you could try recording with a POD HD, monitor yourself via earphones or studio monitors. That way you won't have to crank it up, doesn't take up much space also

Back