Recommendations for a new setup

Kaye

Hi guys, it's me again! :p After posting a couple of threads on building a recording rig, etc, I have decided on using my buddy's PC since I'll be doing most of the recording with her. We're planning to do some recording for her music school audition.

Here's the PC specification
Processor: Intel Core i5-760 processor
Memory: 4GB DDR3
Storage: 1 TB SATA 3G
Ports: USB 2.0 ports, IEEE1394 firewire

We're planning to record vocal and 1 acoustic guitar simultaneously and adding layers after the initial tracks. The max we would most probably go only up to recording 3 tracks simultaneously. We might experiment with more instruments in the future.

I have shortlisted 2 items that I'm thinking of purchasing
Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 - $380
Audio Technica AT2020 - $158

Is there any more recommendation that would be below my budget of $500? I'm thinking of sticking it down to $350.

I'm a little bummed between the choices of a USB or Firewire interfaces. I have been doing some readings online and it seems like the preference would be through Firewire. What are your thoughts?

Thanks a million in advance! Pardon my lengthy post.

If using a desktop, then my suggestion is PCI or PCIe audio interface. USB/firewire only if you are intending to go portable. You get lower latency with PCI/PCIe. For under $500, Echo Gina3G may fit your budget.

Hi Cheez! Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem I have is that the PC belongs to my friend, and I know nuts about taking the CPU apart. I'll definitely do a research on Echo Gina3G and see what she says. :)

Oh I see. Didn't read your first thread properly. OK then. Definitely firewire if possible. Don't forgot that Echo also has firewire products (audiofire series).

I have both firewire/usb. both no problems. actually the firewire one is more prone to problems I guess cos of the chipset stuff.

"vocal and 1 acoustic guitar simultaneously" <-- you would need 2 mics wouldn't it?

any audio interface with 2 inputs will suffice, unless you're planning to record more than "2" elements. or drums.

http://www.citymusic.com.sg/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=176 would be the next cheaper option I know of. comes with its own cabsimulator. but there're a few line6 haters around.

there're cheap mics for sale at citymusic as well I think.

blueprintstudios: Hello! Hmmm if there's not much of a difference comparing the firewire and USB. I would definitely go for the USB one. It's a lil cheaper and I can use it on my laptop as well.

"vocal and 1 acoustic guitar simultaneously" <-- you would need 2 mics wouldn't it?
Hmm I'm thinking of using the pickup through my acoustic and the mic for vocals.

Yes! I'm definitely waiting for the citymusic sales to get some stuff as well. But I'll need to purchase the interface and AT2020 to record for my friend's audition.

then with the pod ux2, you can plug your at2020, and have your guitar pickup > into the 1/4" jack.

160 + 290 = 450. within your budget. i think the citymusic sales is like half a year away though...

Normally, I don't suggest acoustic guitar pickup unless need to do live sound. Since in your own room, everything is under your control. Move the mic around to get the tone you want.

for a better sound, because pickup picks up more thin highs and sharp stuff, you can mic up the body with the AT2020 then record the pickup simultaneously and combine them. but be prepared to work with noisy signals from the pickup hehe.

kongwee: hopefully it will turn out okay. I'm thinking of recording separate track in this case. guitars first followed by vocals.

blueprintstudios: wooo awesome! I'll try that out as well. I saw this recording method on youtube!

Hmm I'm thinking of settling down with a presonus audiobox and audio technica AT2020 and quit thinking about the firewire VS USB problem. Afterall my personal laptop doesn't have a firewire port. :(

Would that be a better combination?

Which one will be of a better bet between UX2 and presonus audiobox? :p

not sure if I saw it on youtube or not. but I know that to get a fuller dynamic sound of a source, you record what's good about it. and if multi-miked, then record whatever's good, and combine it. (the highs + the body mid/lows)

USB definitely has more "general acceptance" for portability.

I took a look at luther's web and here's to help you mess up your decision once more.

http://www.luthermusic.com/uat/luthermusic_class/category/recording_usbfw-devices/art-usb-dual-pre
price : $160
imo : was dodgy back then (9 years back?) as a preamp, not sure bout audio interface now. but if you got a laptop, bring it down and ask if you can try it.

http://www.luthermusic.com/uat/luthermusic_class/category/recording_usbfw-devices/lexicon-lambda-usb
$199
never had any experience with it, but I recall alot of ppl selling 2ndhand at one point of time.. I wonder why...

http://www.luthermusic.com/uat/luthermusic_class/category/recording_usbfw-devices/m-audio-fast-track
$175
decent preamps for the cost, my experience with it is when Ingride used this + AT2020 (for vocals) to record their album then engaged me to mix. but 1 "mic" and 1 "1/4"" input makes it a little lame and incapability of a stereo 1/4" recording. unlike ART's. but would serve your purpose well exactly with the at2020 and the acoustic guitar pickup line in.

http://www.luthermusic.com/uat/luth...recording_usbfw-devices/presonus-audiobox-usb
$240
I would prefer presonus's preamps over maudio's. but for some reason I prefer Zoom's (R16) preamps over presonus's.

ux2
$290
I would rank line6's preamps under maudio's. but the plus point is the guitar cabinet simulation which the rest doesn't have. but I've heard very mixed results from different ppl having stable workflow with it vs people having troubles with it.

if I had your budget I'd be curious to try the ART preamp/usb first , bring your laptop and try on spot if it passes the latency tests etc. if not maudio is pretty on par (with its limitations) with the ART for your purpose. if not.. presonus would be a better choice. as you start to see the cost increase, you almost get what you pay for.

blueprintstudios: :eek::eek::eek: a list! Hmm I have a feeling that my laptop will most probably crash at the shop, it's that bad. I'm using my friend's PC primarily so should be alright I guess. *fingers crossed*

Hmmm I think I'll most probably go for the presonus! I'll just have to feed on grass for 2 months. It's time to sell some stuff online.

Thank you for all the precious advices!

kongwee: hopefully it will turn out okay. I'm thinking of recording separate track in this case. guitars first followed by vocals.

It is up to you to try. Of cos you can get the presonus with two mic. Just play with one mic. Play with various position to understand your mic response. Then add other mic will be meaningful to you.

kongwee: got it! :) Thank you!

Oh no. I just realised that the presonus audio box is running on USB 1.0 not USB 2.0 :(

well then if your laptop is that unstable isn't it time to do something about it since you gals are gonna share the audio interface between her desktop and your laptop? =)

kongwee: got it! :) Thank you!

Oh no. I just realised that the presonus audio box is running on USB 1.0 not USB 2.0 :(

The amount of data transfer don't need a spec of USB2.0, I think. If I can remember, it doesn't need any driver.

blueprintstudios: DEFINITELY! Like I said a million times. I need a new PC. Sigh but for now, I'll just stick to those interfaces and hitch her PC :(

kongwee: if that's the case then I don't have to worry that much. I'm just attracted by the positive reviews of presonus preamp.

Back