Randolf Arriola (embryo) Guitar Gear 101

xklusivly4u: I am trying to get two types of distortion/overdrive. Modern black/death metal style distortions for rhythm and 80 classic rock style lead tones e.g. Slash,. I can invest on new gears (amp, pedals etc.) except that I cannot go high wattage amps because it is only for home use.

These 2 opposing tones require drastic changes in you amp's EQ & pedals EQ. I did try to tweak the EQfor these 2 genres & I couldnt nail it. 1 is mid scooped & 1 for more mids.

Since we're on the topic of amps,
Are there any tonal difference in 4, 8 or 16ohm speakers of the same size ?

Why there are different speaker impedances? Well basically the reason for that really is because it's to match power amps. 8 Ohms being most popular but you'll get the occasional 4 and 16 ohm type.

For Solid State amps u must match the correct impedance between speaker and the power amp output or either the amp will overwork or the speaker will blow.

In Tube Amps ideally the power amp output and speakers should match in impedance to achieve the intended maximum efficiency of best tone at the highest volume. There are thngs here about impedance mismatching that are more forgiving in Tube amps but this is where we get into "voodoo" territory! How exciting eh! :)

Since we're on the topic of amps,
Are there any tonal difference in 4, 8 or 16ohm speakers of the same size ?

Yes and you need a pair ....
Its either 4 ohms or 16 for a pair of 8ohms!

I use 4x 16 ohm wired parallel = 4 ohms
i would prefer series parallel but that will give 16 ohms but my amp has only 8 or 4 ohm option ...

Btw i love it at 4 ohm, kinda brighter and quicker response !!

hi mr randolf, i shall be seeking your biasing help soon.

Tanx. The thing about biasing for tube amps is it's not just about tweaking to optimum operating currents. There are many amps that come by my way with their bias set slightly colder. I dunno just speculating here but maybe it's just a simple way for manufacturers to prolong the tube life??? Maybe it's the weather and humidity here? Hmmmm....

There is a significant difference in the manner that Hi Fi tube amp lovers bias their amp compared to Guitar Tube Amps in my observation. Maybe it's just me but I prefer to think of us geetar players as a weirder bunch who unlike the hifi folks we crave for that "magical warm chocolate with goldust sounding, tubey, spongey, there not there KokoCrrrrrunch" Hehehehehe :)

In short, biasing for guitar tube amps is different from hifi land.

:)

I am trying to get two types of distortion/overdrive. Modern black/death metal style distortions for rhythm and 80 classic rock style lead tones e.g. Slash,. I can invest on new gears (amp, pedals etc.) except that I cannot go high wattage amps because it is only for home use. Appreciate for your help. Thanks.

The many sub genres of rock/metal sounds of of the 80's including black/death some thrash and most if not all of shred came about at the the time when amps came with seperate "gain" and "master volume" controls on the amps. This also meant alot of then aspiring rock gods to be were able to dial in that super distorted tone at a much more lower volume so their mums and dads wudn't give em such a hard time as compared to someone trying to get that acdc sound with a classic plexi where you need to run palm of hand all the way from the bottom of the knobs in right to left "swish" hehehehe.... i tink u guess noe wat i mean rite! ;)

The sound of GnR, Black Crows, Aerosmith is more of the classic rock sound
that is really more of the combined but tasteful saturation from the pre and power amp tubes. Of course with the master volume models made available to these guys they were able to dial in more conrol to blance the dgree of pre against power saturation. Coupled with 4 x12 Cabs. They would personalize their soundwith different speakers and mic techniques.

The above is just one of many reasons why it is impossible to attain all the finer qualities of different in one small footprint amp with either a single 1x10 or 1x12. As I said it's a physics thing.

The good news is there are modern alternatives (not total solution though) like amp and speaker simulators. Simulatorst oday are much better these days compared to what was available prior to Roland being first to release the cutting edge modelling technology equipped VG8 in the mid 90's.

Hope this stirred some thoughtful ideas for you ya :)

You talked about EV speakers. I'm wondering if they're avilable locally? Or do i have to import them like the celestions and eminences?

Someone oughta take up the hint at the rising interests in replacement speaker market for guitar amp owners. Anybody? :)

Oh i'm using a switchblade DS-1 to boost the amp. In studios, i can achieve quite a nice tone with the drive at zero an the level at maximum. the studio amps, i'll usually turn on the vintage drive or the equivilant of "drive1/overdrive" on a marshall amp...

at home, i've tried the same on my solid state 1 × 10 tube modeller peavey, well i tried doin the same boosting with the swtichblade on a vintage drive model, with the eq bass and trebs at 12 o clock and mids either at 10 o'clock and at 2 o'clock (for boosted and scooped variations)... not good...

BUT i've just tried turning down the pregain and up the post gain on my peavey amp with the boost and its less noisy now... gettting closer to that of the studios amps! :D

Someone oughta take up the hint at the rising interests in replacement speaker market for guitar amp owners. Anybody?

I guess not. :lol: But the thing is I think EV speakers are kinda common in the hifi world so there might be a slight little glimmer of a chance that some hifi shops may bring these in if requested.

Anyway EV guitar speakers seem pretty new to the market as there's only 2 models (classic & black label). Apperently, the classic is only unveiled during the recent winter namm but they seem very very interesting.

I noticed there are many shy shy folks here ya. They like to pm and email:) That's nice ya but pls don't be shy as there's never a question too silly or newbie. Just tke some time to word search here or google/yahoo it.

Ok anyway about Gain Stacking Strategies with pedals and amps, they are almost the same but really different. They do sound and also behave differently in the tones and noise department. Let me know here what are your ideas and maybe we can discuss and share the many different methods of achieving the desired gained tone for the intended musical application. :)

Mad WerewolfBoy Said;
Oh i'm using a switchblade DS-1 to boost the amp. In studios, i can achieve quite a nice tone with the drive at zero an the level at maximum. the studio amps, i'll usually turn on the vintage drive or the equivilant of "drive1/overdrive" on a marshall amp...
at home, i've tried the same on my solid state 1 × 10 tube modeller peavey, well i tried doin the same boosting with the swtichblade on a vintage drive model, with the eq bass and trebs at 12 o clock and mids either at 10 o'clock and at 2 o'clock (for boosted and scooped variations)... not good...
BUT i've just tried turning down the pregain and up the post gain on my peavey amp with the boost and its less noisy now... gettting closer to that of the studios amps!

I'm happy for you dude! :) The Switchblade DS1 came about because I felt the need for vesatility in dealing with both Full Tube and Solid State amps. Be it set in Warm or bright Crunch mode or Singing Full Bodied/Harmonics Rich Lead.

You are spot on in dialling in less drive but higher level with full tube amps and more drive with solid state. Now, the middle ground between these 2 is where your own sound is! :)

Someone oughta take up the hint at the rising interests in replacement speaker market for guitar amp owners. Anybody? :)

You can throw rocks at a thousand people in Singapore and you might not even get one person interested in a guitar amp speaker.

So no. Not until people want to move their amps out of their houses, or when they play loud enough to warrant speaker change every 3 months.

The last discussion from jbg showed that even the Eminence Malaysia distro is unwilling to bring in guitar speakers.

As I've given out the information, if you want cheap replacement speakers, email Nik from Ceriatone for Sammi speakers. If you want branded, go ebay/2nd hand market. There's a bit more trading on speakers nowadays. Not by a lot though.

What about Pickups Anybody?

Oooo... spill the beans lah Randolf. I've been from silly high output (Dimarzio X2N) all way down to my current bridge humbucker, a hand wound 7.2k Alnico 5 humbucker.

Talk about a journey!

Mooo, quite a journey ya :)

The X2N is perfect if you wanna plug direct into a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier type amp and switch between the amp's clean and all out rage... i feel :)

However if it's the middle ground that you also want to explore then middle output pups are the way to go. The low output pups sound best with those players who are very dynamic and articulated in their picking dynamics and want those varying tonal shades to come through the amp.

With lower ouput pups you have more headroom to control gain with the choice or combination of pedal(s) into amp's pre/power tube saturation using gain stacking.

Vai's favoured pup configuration of coupling 2 humbuckers with a low output middle single coil is a way to attain versatility though still with compromises mainly because it's impossible to get that classic strat neck pickup with e humbucker placed where it is because of the 24 fret neck.

Decision decisions....Hmmmmv :)

Thanks for your reply randolf. I understand that I cannot get exact tone of guitar gods but if it close, I am happy.

hi leecs, if they require two very different EQ, we can buy seperate EQs and use A/B switch box?

You're welcome! :)

Thanks for your reply randolf. I understand that I cannot get exact tone of guitar gods but if it close, I am happy.

Yes u'll come close by experimenting with your existing gear to understand how to achieve the right setup of pedals and amp settings to arrive at the different "sweetspot settings" to get classic rock or modern metal even with small amps. The more you tweak the more you'll learn along the way. :)

xklusivly4u: hi leecs, if they require two very different EQ, we can buy seperate EQs and use A/B switch box?

Hi! What about your amp's EQ? You still have to tweak it to blend in the EQ pedal for 2 different genres. :D

Hi! What about your amp's EQ? You still have to tweak it to blend in the EQ pedal for 2 different genres.
set amp EQ at 12 o clock for all settings, so balance everything in amp
and set two EQ in effect loop. Would it work?

haha!!!!!! maybe you can try. I've already experienced it in Randolf's home. I also wana have death metal rhythms with JP lead tone. It just wont work. totally different EQing.

haha!!!!!! maybe you can try. I've already experienced it in Randolf's home. I also wana have death metal rhythms with JP lead tone. It just wont work. totally different EQing.

use two amps :lol:

Back