smoke marijuana
use drugs
drink alcohol the day before or the day of
drink coffee before a performance
become a cheerleader
shout & scream at sporting events
go to loud clubs or bars
talk on a bus or airplane
try to be heard in noisy places like bars, sport arenas, large family gatherings, airplanes, buses
vocalize a sneeze
Note: This does not mean you should stifle a sneeze -- never do that! Go ahead and sneeze, just don't phonate while doing so.
phonate while yawning
stay up late the night before a performance
sing outdoors
cough
clear your throat continually
sing if it hurts to swallow
try to talk over a cold or laryngitis
sing higher or lower than is comfortable
"over sing" (if you are hoarse after singing, something is very wrong)
whisper loudly, or for very long
raise the chest or shoulders when inhaling
be a vocalist in an acid rock or heavy metal band
use the belt voice
lift weights
scream
cry
talk on a lower or higher pitch than is comfortable for you. The "huumm" pitch (expressing mild surprise) is the pitch at which you should be speaking!
try to change your natural speaking voice ("vocal image" e.g., sexy, macho)
talk a lot on the day of performance

Do . . .

If undergoing surgery, insist that the intubation be performed by someone well acquainted with the risk to the vocal folds
speak at your own pitch (like Julia Childs and opera divas)
support your speaking voice just as when singing
get plenty of rest
be happy
laugh a lot, but with good support
avoid stress
avoid places with foul air. Everything you breathe passes through your instrument
inhale at the belly (like inner tube around your waist) relax belly to inhale (i.e., let your belly hang out, "feel fat")
eat well (as do Pavarotti & ladies of the opera
avoid dairy products prior to a performance
treat your body like a valuable instrument
humidify your bedroom during winter months
drink lots of water -- 8 glasses a day
"Pee Pale, Sing Clear" -- your urine should be clear -- yellowness means you are dehydrated (the more yellow it is, the worse)

ok.. er... some doesn't seem to make sense to me.. but i guess everyone has their own preferences? :p

i'll just add some of mine..

DO NOTs

- do not oversing (as mentioned), preferably not more than an hour straight.. take rests
- try to avoid second hand smoking as well
- if you start feeling a strain on your voice, stop. try to reassess whether it's due to oversinging or just a wrong vocal technique that stresses your voice, a close throat, or just singing for too long or too loud (trying to be heard over a band that plays at loud volumes). don't push it, you'll regret it

DOs
- you need rest. plenty of em. 7-8hrs min, or at least at your idea of a full body rest.
- it's true that drinking lots of water helps, not only your voice but your health in general but i don't think it applies to everyone. there are some vocalists who can't drink more than five sips before singing, and some that needs to down vodka cos it warms the throat, before singing, etc. it's all different
the point is you own your throat, you're the singer
if something you do messes your voice up, don't make it a habit no matter what the rules says. only you know what's best for your voice, how much amount of liquids is enough to moisturize your voice without bloating your belly, that conflicts with breathing capacities
- vocalists needs to be healthy. simple logic; your whole body is the whole instrument. even your mind. pessimisms could choke your voice down too, yknow?

i'll add more if i can think of more...

sycododo said:
ok then.
my vocal's damaged.
:smt073

mine too lol.
complete irony seeing myself giving advice like that when i smoke like a chimney. -_-

no wonder my voice is all high and ... whiney?

i've:
-shout & scream at sporting events
-talk on a bus or airplane
-try to be heard in noisy places like bars, sport arenas, large family gatherings, airplanes, buses(always shout in class)
-what's vocalizing a sneeze and phonate while yawning?
-sing outdoors
-cough
-sing if it hurts to swallow
-try to talk over a cold or laryngitis
-whisper loudly, or for very long
-scream
-cry
-talk a lot on the day of performance

and i don't do alot of the do's too. i'm completely dehydrated. dislike drinking water.

Back