Powering Up Speakers

kentheman2000

Hey dudes!
I have a 100watt speaker laying around at my friend's place. I wanna know wat equipment i require to put my guitar and other instruments in.

Your friend speaker shld be a passive speaker or esle u can just connect your mixer into the speaker. Need to know what speaker n mixer u r using. Indigo blue is right. U might need an amplifier which is more than 100 watt to support. :)

I would agree with shawn040, matching amps and speakers by the RMS rating on the speaker is a not an optimal choice (100w speaker - 100w amp) because a clipping amp WILL cause more damage than a speaker driven with a clean signal higher than its RMS rating.

A simple calculation to accurately match amps to your speakers would be to take the RMS (wattage) rating of your speaker, multiply it by two, and then multiply it by 0.8 and 1.25 to get an idea of an acceptable wattage range. So in your case, the calculation will be:

2(100) x 0.8 = 160w (Minimum Rating)
and
2(100) x 1.25 = 250w (Maximum Rating)

So an optimal choice for an amp for your speakers would be one that puts out between 160w and 250w.

Keep in mind, thats not the power you need to get it to just work, its the kind of power you can feed it to get the best performance out of it and to stay on the safe side of blowing your speaker drivers to bits. I would agree with shawn040, matching amps and speakers by the RMS rating on the speaker is a not an optimal choice (100w speaker - 100w amp) because a clipping amp WILL cause more damage than a speaker driven with a clean signal higher than its RMS rating.

Back