Please help me solved my most SERIOUS problem in recording ...

BloodSolo

Alright guys ... as titled above ... the problem its really serious and i have no solutions for the problem ..

alright its been 8 freakin years that i cant record my guitar and other equipment PROPERLLY ...

all its due to latency ... and its really makin me pissed, cuz the first track and the second track ... doesnt match ... and so on so for. if i have 25 track i recorded, after i combine it together, goodness all u hear is garbage . please help me, thousands of songs idea gone to waste juz becuz of this stupid latency few hundred bucks wasted juz trying to repair the latency issues ... all of the effort juz "whoop" gone. no improvement at all . and HUNDRED PERCENT its not my playing that have an error hahahhaha ...

and one more thing juz wanna know ... is there any software i can download for free to make drums loops to be included in the recording ?... i was told by dhalif that there is VST plugins supported ...

Before we can help you, you need to provide us with more info:

1. What hardware are you using?
2. How are you routing your audio to your PC? Please describe all hardware routing.
3. What are the specs of your PC?
4. What DAW software are you using?
5. What are you recording? How many simulataneous tracks?

Please provide detailed info to the above.

if you have latency issues , it's either your configurations, or your soundcard or your PC specs, and you said "8 years" , 8 years ago , comps would have been really laggy for recording.. so if you're using an 8 year old computer you'll need to get it replaced asap for recording....

On the contrary my 7-year old P3 (3 years ago) served fairly well when I just started out..at least no real-time issues with Adobe Audition and up to 12 tracks IIRC. Only problem was real-time effects, lagged like shit (constipation, precisely).

One can actually adjust each track to sync manually with the zoom & move tool, maybe you'll be off a few millisecond but that's about it.

Please check the sticky for freely available software.

Until threadstarter provides more detail, we will only be guessing what the root of his problem is.

ok thnx for the people who is willing to help me ...

okie

1. Im now using a notebook to record its intel core 2 duo 1.6gig processor 512 mb ram
intel soundcard windows xp

2. The route for my recording is only guitar-->multiefex-->computer(line in)

3. May i know wad do u mean by the hardware im using ?

4. Wad is DAW (im not clear with this ones)

5. Im recording multi track, so its like 23 tracks in a song or so ? its 100% not live recording

sorry guys i really dont know how to provide a full details for all the followings that us asked ... cuz i only know how to play guitar . dun really know technology and stuffs .. sorry, u can guide me of course.

thnx

Hi,

DAW=Digital Audio Workstation - refers to the software you use to record your multiple tracks. Sometimes also refers to the entire hardware setup for doing your audio recording.

OK. The problem is obvious now.

1. PC specs is fine. RAM too little. Suggest minimum of 1 GB, but 2 GB will be best.

2. Using the PC soundcard will give you serious latency problems. Best is to get an audio interface - preferably firewire or PCMCIA. If not, you may want to download ASIOforall driver (freeware) and install it.

3. PC's hard-drive is usually 2.5" and runs only at 5400rpm. Only larger notebooks (usually desktop replacements) use 3.5" drives which are 7200rpm. Speed of HD will determine how many tracks you can play back in one setting. So suggestion is to get an external HD. If your firewire port is taken up by the audio interface (if you get one), then you'll need a USB 2.0 external HD.

4. You MUST dedicate your PC/notebook to music. That means no internet explorer, no microsoft office, no games, nothing at all except your audio software. This has been repeated at least 100 times in this forum - but it's so important that I don't mind repeating again. Of course, for most, cost is an issue. So the most cost effective way is to dual boot your PC. You are already using XP. Easiest way is to install XP home and XP Pro on 2 separate partitions. XP does dual boot automatically when you try to install 2 different versions of XP (ie Home and Pro). Problem is that you may have to look for Windows XP. I think I saw a shop in Funnan a few months ago still selling XP. Once you dual boot it, one boot partition will be used for your everyday stuff. The other is ONLY for music and make sure you don't even go into internet for that.

5. I don't quite understand one thing. You mention you are only recording your guitar. And you mention 23 tracks. Are you recording 23 different tracks with your guitar? 23 tracks is VERY heavy. I'm not sure you'll ever get anywhere near that. Do you REALLY need 23 audio tracks? You probably can get close to 10 simultaneous tracks (that maybe pushing it). Once you get to 10-20 simultaneous tracks, I would suggest doing it in a studio with higher-end equipment.

There is latency becoz ur sound card isn't fast enough to process the audio. hence u get the latency. best is to get a audio interface like wat cheez said. and try not to start recording on the first bar as ur laptop will need that time to sync all the tracks tgt.

I am no hardware geek, but can tell you, to solo that specific track on which you are recording (and use the metronome) to get your computer to breathe better while recording.

However, people would complain that the 'feel' of the song is lost this way. Oh well!

This is the problem of modern onboard audio chips. I had no such issues with my old system. Back then I didn't even know about this latency thing. I have reproduced this in a Windows desktop with an ICH 7 chipset. My laptop has an ICH 8, but in a different environment it is still good for what it's worth at around 40ms, and I'm guessing would be much much worse in Windows (over 500) without ASIO. Manufacturing quality is worsening as Moore's Law is thickening.

Possible workarounds are muting the tracks which you can do without while recording real-time (solo makes no sense at all even with a metronome, you would at least want a rhythm track to be playing like the percussions or bass), turning off plug-ins/effects, and moving the layer to the correct time frame.

Last edited:
Back