Playing 100 watt amps in Singapore

JMguitars

I noticed some locals have begun looking at higher wattage tube amps and even some of the non-master replica models that Ceriatone in Malaysia offer.

Are these 50 or 100 wattage amps impossible to play in an apartment in Singapore?

Nope, if there is a will there is a way!! :D

I have had and still do, my share of 20 watters, 50 watters, 100 watters as well as attenuator toys.

With 50/100watters, Ive been using them by:

(a) choosing amps whose preamp channel sound decent at low volumes.
(b) using partial attenuation of -8db or -12db settings on a Hotplate.
(c) setting OD/Boost boxes near zero volume to manage volume.
(d) any combination of the above.

I was just reading threads on another forum and came across a useful suggestion - using load boxes (which my Hotplate can do but which I never used).

Hope this is an interesting read for anyone who also have or are thinking of having higher wattage amps.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577394

76131655.ywRJgSgF.jpg

Quoted from HC forum threads:

If you're fortunate to have an attenuator (set to load with a line out) and cab simulator, you can get ridiculously good low volume tone with any tube amp simply by reamping.

I recommend the Line6 products like the PODxt, Toneport, or the true DI boxes like the Behringer Ultra-G and H&K Red Box Pro for cab sim.

As for amplification, almost any powered full-range system will work like monitors, computer speakers, SS PA and speaker, etc. The reason I like SS power and full-range amplification for low volume tones is that the amp is colorless and the speakers don't need to round-off the high end like guitar speakers do to sound good since you're already adding a cab sim in the mix. Since guitar speakers don't start to round off the high end until they get ~1/2 W, which can be loud, they aren't the best to use.

--------------

I too live in an apartment and I use 100watt heads cranked all the time, there is a pretty simple way of doing this too! I use a Hot Plate set as a Load Box and then take the line out from that into a powered mixer (a Yamaha, but really any clean SS power amp will work as you are just reamplifying the signal).

At the powered mixer (or power amp and eq pedal/rack) I bump a little bit between 2 and 4khz as there is a bit of a loss from the load box, and then adjust the volume to taste (usually just enough to get the speakers moving a bit, moderate to loud tv volumes).

The end result is I get great cranked tube tones in very small volume settings Works much better than the best MV (i.e., the Herbert I had)and sounds far better than small amps (to my ears). I have used great MVs, Iso cabs, Smaller amps, different attenuators, and this is BY FAR the best setup I have used. I couldn`t be happier, and this is coming from a previous situation where I used to be able to crank all of my amps to any volume at any time that I pleased.

-----------

I am using a Wizard 100watt Modern Classic and arriving next week my MAKO Makoplex, into an Avatar oversized 2x12 w/ a H30 and V30 in it (previously used a Marshall 2x12 w/ 75s in it, just got the new cab). What you are doing is a form of reamping the signal in this case, hence why you use a clean (i.e., PA based or monitor based instead of guitar based) power amp.

You get 99.999% of the sound and feel of a cranked head because you are using a cranked head, but you do lose some of the speaker involvement. I worked for 3 years to get it to be this good in my apartment! I used to use either an attenuator, or an Iso cab (and then monitoring myself though my recording setup) and nothing has been nearly as satisfying as my current setup. I was in a band for 8 years where we had a studio/practice space that I had personally built that allowed me to use my amps full tilt at any point in time and this is the absolute closest I have come to being able to achieve this in my current living situation.

----------------

It takes a little bit of the high end out, hence why I compensate with a small bump between 2 and 4 kHz. I typicaly set the amp to a point where I would like it minus the reamping/slave setup and go from there. With my Wizard one channel has a Master Volume and one does not (voiced pretty much like a plexi) so I set each channel a bit differently. I try to not have it wide open all of the time, but that is just so I am not changing tubes every month.

I used to use a Dr. Z airbrake for attenuation and I assure you the result from this setup is verrrrrrrry different in terms of tone and feel. It is not exactly the same as cranking your amp to 11, but I attribute the vast majority of the difference to the fact your speakers aren`t pushing enough air to move your pants if you were standing in front of them. It does not have that degredation feeling that you get with each click on an attenuator (which is much like going from 192kbps to 128 to 96 to 64 to 48 in a sound sample IMO). Its the only way I am happy in my apartment!

Adjust the volume enough on the powered mixer to get the speakers to open up a bit and I am perfectly happy (that would be tv/loud tv volumes, as the speakers sound like poo and unnatural under that volume).

Turn it up to the point that my neighbors would hate me and it sounds 99.999% of if the slave setup was not in the chain. Highly recommended!

Interesting stuff. Attenuating, slaving and power scaling are some of the stuff that people do to cut down on the volume.

haha ... Im guessing Funk and Subversion's responses coming from:

(a) choosing amps whose preamp channel sound decent at low volumes.

Thats just a guess ... do feel free to share any trade secrets or simple implementations you're developed to manage your sound.

Wooo... Great info there. Thanks a lot. I play a 50 watter at home too. No issues (neighbour complains) so far but then again, I play at vol 2 max.

Leecs: You can still play it loud with an attenuator. Just imagine, loud (bedroom loud that is) with power tube distortion. :twisted: Gonna get an attenuator soon (if Ted Weber ever replies with the shipping quote) and I'll still be playing loud. :D

im fortunate to have deaf neighbours...or at least they're used to the volumes emitting from my house over the years.

i mainly run tube preamps with solidstate poweramps, best of both worlds really but it still has to be a certain volume for the cab to really open up. the tube power section in my peavey ultra is great, but ungodly loud such that its painful to be in the same room after awhile.

Well, I don't know of any local suppliers of attenuators so I'm ordering two (one for me, one for another person) straight from Weber. If you're interested in joining us in order, feel free to PM me.

Here's the link to weber's products:

www.tedweber.com

Yeah wouldn't mind but how much is it gonna cost? I run a red knob twin and an ac30 so which one would i need? (the MASS 100w,50w,25w i presume?)

It'll probably be around 410-450SGD (incl shipping + GST).

If you don't play much high gain stuff, you'll probably need a Mass 50 for a 50 watter or Mass 100 for a 100 watter. On the other hand, Ted and some dudes on TGP recommends that if high gain is used most of the time, it would be more appropriate to UP the attenuation. Both of us (who ordered) have 50 watters but we're getting Mass 100. :D

unsane: does your Peavey Ultra have a wattage switchable option?

nope, its the older version. i'm not sure if the newer models have that. nice high gain tones from it, but i pretty much only use it as a power section nowadays having gotten a modded rockmaster.

i used to have an Ultra Plus head- you're right, some very nice tones coming from this one, the reason it was the working model for the Triple XXX...

To JMguitars,

I have no secrets. All tube amps sounds best when cranked (at least the ones I've tried). And yes, I crank it up hard. Let's just say I have considerate neighbours 8)

Back