Play by ear or tabs

Play by tabs or ears?

• I need tabs like oxygen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ears...a gift from god to all musicians

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
some musicians go note for note, therefore they'll need tabs... whereas some just think, a little improvisation wont kill... so they both have good points and bad points...

Don't forget, somebody has to work out those tabs and how do they do it? They do it by ear.

I'd also like to add that most of tabs that you'll find on the web are hopelessly inaccurate. I strongly advocate getting some kind of transcription software or using Windows Media Player to slow down mp3s and work these out yourself. Developing your listening and relative pitch is one of the best things you can do to develop as a musician. Of course tabs have their use when you need to get things learned quickly.

^ i use media player to slow stuff down too.

depends on the complexity of the song, and the availablity of the tabs i say.
But most of the time i'm just too lazy, would rather go for the tabs, if the tabs doesnt sound right, i'll do it by ear.

the poll should have a both.

For beginner, it's easier for them to read tab, well they need somewhere to start and tab is good choice.

Then when you progress further, naturally you would need to play by ear. Especially sessionist, they can't give the excuse i can only play with a chord book and tab given right? Once you figure out the key to the song, the note can be found easier...

hey, but me just play rthythm ... dun quote my word hor...

Yup.. Its true.. I strongly recommend beginners try to use the ear instead of taps.. Coz no pain no gain rite.. Hahaha.. Anyway.. U oso try to use media player functions to slow down the song tempo in order to hear the music notes clearly.. Hence.. :smt067 definately I would use the ear..

tabs actually teach you nothing. its the most straight forward way to learn say..a guitar solo. the tab writer basically gives you note for note , the fingering position of the solo.

without using your ears... to LISTEN to the original track. you wont be able to play the song like the original even if you have the tabs.

Everytime you listen to sumthing new , you are learning.

I've witnessed more blind people than deaf ones playing musical instruments. I just believe that if one sticks to tabs, that person is just training to be deaf.

so lets all work hard.

so that we can all play note for note by ear and build tone and colour in our playing.

would you rather spend 1 hour figuring out how to play the song, or spend 1hour actually playing the song? I believe the latter is more productive even in the long run.

When you see tabs and you play, inesence you are training your ears too. You have gotta recognise how the notes in the tabs sound like the actual song.
It is through several of such processes that one develops the ability to play by ears.

Back