pickup covers

almondx

Hey! Who would you guys recommend for tech. stuff on an electric guitar? I'm looking to replace my pickup covers and repot it with wax

Why would you want to replace your covers?

Edder does repotting... drop him a PM.

Oh, just to note, a pup without cover will have added precence and punch. You might like them without.

my gold covers are tarnishing so i want to replace them. cant seem to remove them tho, my soldering iron cant melt the solder joints

oh.. thats gotta suck.. but pickup covers diminish harmonic response.. its goos for aesthetics, but your sound will be affected..

haha i need the warmth the covers brings. the custom 22 is a naturally bright guitar due to the generous maple top. hmm shredcow does edder do pup covers replacement too?

I mean, you can just purchase a new pup cover... then take off the current pup cover with soldering...

Then solder on the new pup cover, and pass the whole thing to Edder ...

But just ask the man lah. :wink:

Haha difficult lah. I'm using a 60 watt solder and it can't even melt the solder joints. Now I have to try to cut it with a blade but it's super difficult! Or should I use a hotter solder instead?

60 watt should be fine. But well, ask a tech to do it for you loh. ;) At someone with more expereince will have lesser chance of damaging your pup.

You know, corroded pup covers = character.

ShredCow said:
You know, corroded pup covers = character.

eh but it's like 1 patch in the middle =p looks realli weird. like a lousy relic job :cry:

ah anyway it isnt broken yet. When i finally can't stand it anymore I'll probably go try WCR.

Anyone tried bare knuckles? Expensive like 500 bucks a pair. Up there with the fralins and booteek stuff.

Anyone actually played any of the booteek stuff here?

Or we're all big fans of drmarzio and Seymour Duncan?

Hmmm... almondx, a friend of mine was looking aruond SOFT and he noticed your post. He doesn't have an account so he told me to tell you this:

I was reading some of the posts at
http://soft.com.sg/2006/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13806 and
wanted to tell you to let "almondx" know not to use a soldering GUN around
alnico (the transformer it will demagnetize them)...an soldering iron or
pencil will be ok.

The best way to remove a pickup cover is by using a Dremmel Tool with a
cutting wheel.

In case you were going to use a soldering GUN. :p

oh hey thanks Shredcow! I realised my mistake. Mistook a soldering pencil for a soldering gun i thought they were interchangeable terms! Yupz I did read up that the soldering guns with their coils will induce a magnetic fuse and degaus the pup's magnet or something.

Haha hey ciel21 I've been hearing the soundclips from the bare knuckles website. There's something very very awfully addicting to the sound. It has that oomph which WCR lacks imho.

Anyone tried the dimarzio Virtual PAF? Seems to have gotten quite a few thumbs up at thegearpage.net some time ago.

Im changing to a pair of Gibson P94s, hope i like them. Wanted the old p90 sound seems tt these are the closest to it.

Back