Pick-up selection

empihsrow

Hello guys, I'm intending to upgrade my Yamaha Pacifica with a new bridge pick-up. I have been thinking about the various brands such as Dimarzio, Tesla and EMG and I need some advice.

As you guys might know, I play metal and I want a new pick-up to better shape my tone. Can any of you help me out by telling me the differences between these brands and what these brands can offer me in terms of tone?

Thanks for reading and an even greater thank you if you can answer me. :D

For metal strictly, EMG seems the apt choice, especially if u get a EMG-81.

However, for the same cost or less, you could probably get an equivalent but much more versatile pickup in the Dimarzio Tone Zone.

I have not used Tesla before, so I couldn't comment much on it.

Why not try a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge? Tested and proven by Syn Gate!!

if ur guitar using passive PUs ... the best choice is using same passive PU at neck and bridge (and middle if ur guitar has it)
if ur planning changing to EMG active PUps (or maybe duncan active PU)... better change the neck PU too (and middle if it has)

i'm not telling u that its not alright to have neck passive and bridge active.. u can try it..
but u'll have a little annoying sound when u switch ur PUps between passive and active (CLACK CLACK)... beside that it will be more suitable if u have separated volume pot control for each PUps ..
EMG is a hi output PUps... and it uses a battery .. so u won't b hearin' nice cool clean sound from it :)

i have EMG 85 and 81 ...... delicious when it comes to distortion :mrgreen:
but i seldom play it.... i like Passive PU the most

Hmm, my guitar comes in 2-1-1. So, I'm only intending to change my bridge pick-up.

How much will a EMG 81 cost by the way?

u can try dimarzio breed on the bridge... sound is wild and sexy :)
or SH5- duncan custom
hehe if i were u wont choose EMG ....

The Teslas aren't that bad. Consider the Plasma 7 or the VR-Extreme. The prices are affordable. Can be found at Standard Value. :)

i think u gotta see what kinda tone u like. i have emg 81tw and 89 (coil tapped versions of 81 and 85), essentially these give pretty compressed and tight tones. probably for something looser, duncan blackouts can be considered or do an 18V mod for emg.

i think u gotta see what kinda tone u like. i have emg 81tw and 89 (coil tapped versions of 81 and 85), essentially these give pretty compressed and tight tones. probably for something looser, duncan blackouts can be considered or do an 18V mod for emg.

Agreed. I never had a good impression of humbucker emgs though the single coil active ones are awesome the emg sa series.. i have a 85 on my hss strat. looking to change that.

Frankly speaking i find the emg 85 too treble inclined, sounds too thin to me. and as what eclipze said i wouldnt go for emg buckers too.

JB is a pickup by Seymour Duncan. I've used it before (not on my guitar, though) and I must say it's very versatile and very good for heavy chugging. Less treble than expected, with more mids and bass, at least from my experience. Probably not designed for metal only, but it certainly does it well.

Back