Pick up enquiry

kuang89

img2334u.jpg

tis is how my pickup is right now, the bridge pickup is in normal position, but i flipped the neck pick up, it produced quite a unique nascally tone, so wondering can anyone tell me wat flipping my pickups do to my sound? does tis means it is out of phase?

out of phase usually mean the wiring of the + and - (Hot and ground) on one pickup is in reverse with the + and - of the other pickup.

one pickup alone, cannot be out of phase with itself.

Unless you have changed the wiring connection internally of the hot and ground wire of one pickup relative to the other pickup and in the middle position of the pickup selector switch(bridge and neck pickup in parallel) then you will get out of phase.

if not, most likely the unique sound could come from the change of postion of the pole piece(on the pickup) in relative to the strings. With the changed position, the pole pieces are picking up the strings vibration slightly further away from the neck, thus having that sound you are hearing.

anyway, just my guess for the sound taht you are hearing, so do take it with pinch of salt.

You might want to first try orientating your neck pickup the other way.
i.e, the "screw heads" facing the neck instead of facing the bridge.

Peter Green did that. The Supernatural sound was that. Although I don't think he did it on his own it came back from somewhere like that.

I'm kinda liking this way my neck pickup is in. my neck pickup played like someone talking while covering the mouth, hence my bridge pickup has mostly been my rhythm. As for the flipped neck pickup, the sound apparently is louder, it sounds funny n quite nasal or i can play still got the blues nicely with this setting. Maybe some tone-pros should try it, just flip it over, no wiring needed, just screw n unscrew and perhaps explain the phenomenon if pathe hadnt alrdy did a good job explaining...

some people speculated tat hendrix did not flip his pickups when he flip his right handed guitar to south paw...

no la, if like tat then all the high end pick ups no nid to earn money liao...haha...just saying it sounded better than compared to it's not flipped and unique too, i've tried it once wif the mid pickup of single coils but didnt work well...

Hendrix did not do anything beside restringing his right handed Strats. He only sounds a little different cause the bass side of the strings are now over the bridge pickup which is slanted closer towards the bridge. And he has mighty hands.

Yep your right, Gary Moore now owns Peter Green's 1959' Gibson Les Paul. I'm not sure if its the one he used on Still Got The Blues. A story I heard was that the pickup, a original PAF of course, was switched back to normal somewhere in the 80s.

Eh... a humbucker can be out-of-phase with itself... it has 2 coils.

Right?

heh, it can but i didnt want to mention that in the context coz it will go into whether the pickup is the one hot and ground wire only or with the start coil A end coil A start coil B end coil B plus one more ground type to cut down on the confusion

On hind sight i should have mentioned bout theres exception on humbucker with 5 wires type can do that.

Back