Philippine's Rap Icon Francis Magalona Passes Away

jerryoc221

Rapper Francis Magalona passes away

MANILA, Philippines—(UPDATE 3) Rapper-TV host Francis Magalona died of leukemia Friday at the Medical City in Mandaluyong, his co-hosts at the GMA Network’s noontime show “Eat Bulaga” said. He was 44.

Magalona succumbed to severe sepsis as a complication of leukemia and passed away at 12 noon, said Philippine Daily Inquirer sources who were not authorized to talk to media.

The acclaimed rapper-musician was rushed to the Medical City on Thursday night, Inquirer sources said. He was “intubated” upon admission and placed in the Intensive Care Unit at 3 a.m. Friday.

Magalona was “toxic” during the early hours of Friday, the Inquirer sources further said.

Doctors still managed to administer chemotherapy on Magalona. He expired before a bone marrow transplant could be scheduled, they said.

Magalona had been undergoing several chemotherapy sessions since he was diagnosed with the disease in August last year but was too weak to fight the infection, sources said.

Magalona is the son of popular 1950s movie tandem Pancho Magalona and Tita Duran.

“I don't want a media circus. I want privacy with my family,” Francis said in a phone interview with the Philippine Daily Inquirer, after reports of his illness broke out.

“What I'd rather talk about is how to we can solicit blood donations to replace the supply that I have consumed in the hospital,” said Magalona, the father of eight children.

Francis' wife, Pia Arroyo-Magalona, said her husband started exhibiting symptoms in March this year. “It was very gradual, hindi siya biglaang lumabas [it didn't manifest right away].”

Magalona is survived by his wife Pia, and children Maxine, Saab, Unna, Nicolo, Francis Jr., Elmo, Arkin, and Clara.

Magalona was supposed to perform “Superproxy” with the Eraserheads in the band’s reunion concert, “The Final Set” at the SM Mall of Asia grounds in Pasay City on Saturday.

He had been in collaboration with Eraserheads and Pupil frontman Ely Buendia for an album to be released this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
A sad day, condolences goes to Francis Magalona's family & friends & to all his fans & supporters, we will miss you.

3 Stars and A Sun.

Yes it's indeed sad to hear that the Singer of my Favourite Songs "Title "3 Stars And A Sun" had pass away....

RIP ! Francis Magalona ! and you shall be remembered always.

Thank you so much Brother Chris for putting up this thread informing us all about this.

defender1.jpg

Magalona Francis Blog:-
http://www.magalona.com/

Chris…At Tomorrow’s Gig – “ 3 Stars And A Sun” is a Must-Play-Song by TNT as a Tribute Song to Francis…..and shall be announced by TNT………..

I am still very sadden by this News…..and as Agreed ……… We shall all wear the 3-Stars-And-A-Sun Icon Tee-Shirt .... there tomorrow…….I will be there.

Last edited:
Thanks Eric, yeah a sad day, we will miss Kiko & yes we will pay tribute to him tomorrow. See you there bro.

Salute to Master Rapper Francis M!
(Thank you for making a big mark on the Philippine Music scene!)

Thanks Eric, yeah a sad day, we will miss Kiko & yes we will pay tribute to him tomorrow. See you there bro.

Bro Chris:- This is just my personal opinion here.

Maybe “TNT” and “ELEMENTS” – most importantly, together with support of the Philipinno Brothers here (if you all want it ) would wanna – try to make a more “Formal Tribute” to Francis from those based here … like you all....the Tribute can be 2 weeks from now.

(1) The 1st thing is to – Try scouting around for a Pub/Club that has Musical Instruments there – speak to the Owner there – if he would allowed “ WE “ here to organize “Tribute To Francis.”

(2) Normally - - club/Pub Owner might agree to it (some of them) - - so we need everyone’s help here to try seeking this Place (No harm Trying) – and most of the time – a “Weekday” eg Monday to Thursday is usually stance a higher chance…To be able to get it on a Friday is a Blessing.

(3) The Proposal to clubs would be to allow (A) 6 Philippino Volunteer Bands to do the Tribute eg….say on a weekday (just one night – from 7pm till 12 midnight etc). - - (B) All proceeds ($$$ collected from Beers only) eg they charge S$15.00 per Glass ( S$5 will go to family of Francis as from the Singapore Philipinno brothers here)…….just an example…anyway it is envisage that – if this Tribute is supported by the Bros here or the Philipinno community here - -- the club/pub on that particular weekday – will have more people than the usual patronizing it as on a weekday…either way - - the club/pub will also benefit - - as the club/pub will have publicity increased to the Philippino community here…..and on goodwill basis……It must be a Win-Win between all parties here.

(4) Within here -- - - if these goes through through any of you Philippino bros here…..6 Bands etc is required to play for free and help in this Tribute Organise by you all here………Band Names stipulated here - - - and hope also that the Philippino Musician Community here - - will come and support … to make this Tribute a success for the late Francis and you all.

So for now - - - Chris, would you get a few people here to help organize this Tribute - - if they the community here agrees……the 1st time is

Create a Name List/Nick of all those Band who wanna play for this Tribute (remember it’s not paid) - -must have the contact number….No one is going to compare how good the band is – It’s a Tribute, a respect to Francis from all you Bros here.

2nd - - concurrently - - build up a list (Soft Brothers here attending the Tribute- - to leave down their Nick here and PM you their contact) ……

It takes 3 things concurrently to make this works…..The people to come to this Tribute, The Philippino Bands to do the Tributes and everyone trying to talk to a certain club as above - - - to allow us to do this Tribute.

So it’s all of you it’s People it’s the Philippino Music Community here – that would make this Tribute as a Team…

Just an opinion here my Brother……

Last edited:
sad news today,. especially for fellow pinoy musicians,.a friend in the Phils.told me after i finished my lunch today . his songs are insirational to all young filipinos especially for the OFW's,.bearing the sign of "3 stars & a Sun" to where ever they go.
I was a kid then when I used to sing with friends his few hit songs,.mga kababayan, cold summer nights & the Man from Manila. later then goes collaboration with my local guitar god Perf De Castro ,.pioneering the Rap metal/funk scene early 90's in the Philippines..

one of the great pinoy icon rapper/artist/father & nationalist.

Man ... you'll be missed!!!!
& we are still living in the so called kaleido scope world
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoKlCGgciLw

Last edited:
I will do my best to take part in this tribute Eric, thanks for the idea, it will be a great way to honor Francis (Kiko).

I'll talk to you tomorrow bro.

orion with the way you play, kilala kita (Jo??? of .........) yeah sarap tugtugin ng Kaleidiscope World.

I will do my best to take part in this tribute Eric, thanks for the idea, it will be a great way to honor Francis (Kiko).

I'll talk to you tomorrow bro.

orion with the way you play, kilala kita (Jo??? of .........) yeah sarap tugtugin ng Kaleidiscope World.

hahaha,.joven of mam****** yes chris,.weve met several times @ arena,.hehehe.yes I do like the song especially last guitar solo part twin lead.,
Its a great Idea man proposed by Rudimmental drummer,..as we know some of young pinoy community here grew up used to listen his songs, watched him on tv/shows,.I think it's right & good enough to pay tribute for this fellow musician,.& at the same time we can help support by doing our contrbutions through music.:cool:

O pano tol, jam na (hope di ko isiniwalat ang sikret identity mo :cool:), this tribute will need guys like you, spread the word & lets honor Kiko. If free ka bukas tol, sama ka sa amin sa gig.

Last edited:
Ay tomorrow na,.yayks,.me puntahan ako despedida party afternoon,.one of the rats is leaving next week for PhilippinesU. hmmm not so sure ,.anyway thenx 4 D invite.hope 4 next time:)

Last edited:
ayus! the best yung tribute concert! I'll be spreading the word once this tribute gig materialize! RIP to ser FrancisM!

Back