Percussionist here! comment on music pls!

pacifusion

HEY softies!
been reading the forums for sometime now finally decided to post stufffs.

Been playing some chinese instruments (learnt Yangqin) stuffs since pri 3!
Played flutes.. blah.. moved to mainly percussion since secondary school
exposed to alot of classic music, and when i reached sec 3, to ROCK!
First listened to Green Day, learnt bout tabs, then blink182, then fell in love with some snare drumming, liked some NOFX stuffs, Sum41 recently.. loads more.
practiced drumming(drumset) by slamming my bed and stamping the floor since then. until my sec school bought a drumset last year (convinced the chinese orchestra to spend the cash) =D

been writing some songs for my juniors in chinese orchestra last year,
edit based on children rhymes and cartoon themes, christmas, chinese new year songs blah(based on occasion when we're invited to perform)

Here's one on cartoon themes hope you guys could comment on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN6N-_kVuz0
Juniors are quite new to drums so forgive the bad notes! =)

Just entered Poly this year, got no friends to jam with.. so.. Yeah! you get the point!

Last edited:
:mrgreen:! sounds ilke u guys had fun putting it together

for a moment, i thought ur name is really zi3 jian1 (子尖) sia ...

maybe got a friend named sa3 bian1 too (洒辫)

=D

nah!
Zi3 Jian4 is the guy on Marimba, he's not bad!
other juniors are all new learners!
definitely had fun! but gotta consider their skill, if not we could write much nicer songs!
if can add guitars and vox = WOW!

eh first touched drumset last year, but percussionist since pri 2?

so that'll be 1year of drumming? or 8 years of percussion exp; =D

hey really wanna look for a proper band to jam with! -hinthint:mrgreen:-

seeing u guys play reminds me of they days when i was still in my sec/jc band haha. enjoy ur time playing music as a section, it will be so different when u graduate and stop playing with em.

Another drummer who practices by slamming on beds and stomping on floors. :mrgreen:

Welcome to da club!!! :cool:

thanks!
i slammed bed for a year before touching a real set!
when u finally get to use the legendary set it just seem like a familiar instru,
people will think u been learning for a long time
just some problem with the pedaling and cymbal heights. :D

thanks!
i slammed bed for a year before touching a real set!
when u finally get to use the legendary set it just seem like a familiar instru,
people will think u been learning for a long time
just some problem with the pedaling and cymbal heights. :D

Haha i've been slamming on office chairs for around 2 years, and I'm STILL slamming on them... :(

But yes, I had great problems with the pedals and cymbals when I first touched a real set. I didn't know how to play heel-up, so I played heel-down for "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" at jamming session. Damn, it was tiring.

Even now, sometimes my leg does tremble a bit when I'm playing, but definitely not as much at before. :)

phew! luckily i 'heeled up' while slamming beds at th beginning,
so till now no probs! haha.
figured out the heel up myself!den watched some online videos and comfirmed the technique was true=D

okie first off stop slamming beds!!!
not bad, got alot to clean up but not bad man.
its gd tht ur in the symp, means u can read gd.

first off stop slamming the drums as if they were pillows. to sound loud and big hit the accents accurately with ur other guys.
listen to ur other musicians, sometimes u start to clash with the others players.
dynamics in ur marching band playing, maybe its the recording i'm not sure. do not slam the cymbals like tht, its sounds bad. remember ur in a band. wanna sound loud, hit the accents accurately.
when u set the band up for accents, do it clearly and in a musical context, listen to the melody
when u play think if smooth silk not a jackhammer.
with the start of the song, make sure its clean punchy and neat, cause ur gonna loose the audience if its messy. starting and ending, the books ends of a song is very important.

hmms. I'll work on that!
i guess the biggest problem with slamming beds is that we slam beds real hard (cos we cant hear ourselves) so when we play on a real drum finally, its suddenly too loud. i rrly looking forward to getting a 2nd hand drumkit soon, real soon, just looking for the right deal..

Hey in not from the symp BAND!

its a CHINESE Orchestra!

yes, we kick our sch's band's ass in a drum battle! haha.

no offence in case anyone is reading :mrgreen:

Back