Pearl Multi-way Piccolo Snare Drum

plainsman

Hi all,

multiway1.jpg

those of you at the last xchange may recall I brought along the above snare drum. Due to popular request and I've been getting inquiries on this, would like to post up an info and pictures page.

I had found out about it while drum shopping on-line (i'm a big japanese drum equipment nut :mrgreen:) and when it was available about a month ago I didn't hesitate and brought in a pair (the other one for my drum buddy mel)

I bought it from ishibashi via credit card:
�y�΋´ŠyŠí“X WebShop�zƒhƒ‰ƒ€�•ƒp�[ƒJƒbƒVƒ‡ƒ“/ƒXƒlƒAƒhƒ‰ƒ€/Pearl/Wood/Piccolo

(Pearl Japan product page with video)
multi_way_piccolo_mini

and it cost me 11,813 yen before shipping. This work out to about $150+ sing . Shipping & insurance cost me an additional 6,000 yen (about $80) and GST 7% which the postman collected when he delivered it to my doorstop.

I would say the snare cost me about $240+ incl shipping, insurance, GST.

After having it for a month, I wondered how I'd do without it, cos I could finally practice at home without disturbing neighbours, I had a snare (a beautiful looking one at that), practice pad all rolled into one.

I tried to inquire Swee Lee about bringing it in and was told this was a Made-in-Taiwan product only for Japan market.

Of course, I did not give up, and am still working with Alvin (he's a Pearl drum endorsee) to continue to negotiate with Swee Lee to see if we can bring it in for drummers here.

If you're interested, please drop me a PM and I will include you into an interest list. No payment/obligation required.

I just want to guage the response and assess if it is feasible for me to lobby to have this product specially brought in. Even if possible, I foresee we might only be able to bring in, say 10 pieces for a start.

If we really do manage to bring it in, I will have a demo set put up at the Music Lab so u guys can try it for yourself and decide if this product is for you.

Until then, you can also look me up at the lab and I will let u try my personal one.

Cheers and drum on!!!

The metal insert at the top centre of this picture is where the additional 'layers' rest on (there's 3 of them)

multiway5.jpg

multiway6.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures of the Silver Sparkle finishing (it is available in Carbon Sparkle as well, I haven't seen a picture of that one though)

multiway7.jpg

multiway8.jpg

The 3 'layers' - rubber (similar to HQ soundoff pad), felt (for additional muting effect) and wooden

multiway9.jpg

Felt layer

multiway10.jpg

Rubber layer (note the 2 different surfaces - really quite similar to HQ soundoff)

multiway11.jpg

Very interesting concept. Saw and heard it at the exchange. Great deal, nice snare bag included as well. PM-ed!

Thanks for the effort and time put in to disassemble the snare and take pictures for us all to see!

Very cool, thanks for your review!
I'd be interested if I didn't already have a piccolo.

It is as if they integrated a Sabian QuietTouch pad into the snare.
If I still had my RT snare I'd think of DIYing it into something like that.

Hehe! I think it's a very cute snare too! Worth the moolah as well!

If the "mini" font isn't in comic sans, then it would be perfect. Why did they use comic sans of all fonts! WHYYYYYY!!!!

'Cos they want it to be KAWAII! :twisted: Honestly, the font didn't really catch my attention. I was captivated by the beauty of the snare and its wrap.

=killerbee

LOL I didn't even noticed until you mentioned it.
This would make a good mobile snare (for jamming etc) as it's also smaller as a 12".

Pearl always have good ideas ! Never fail to impress me.

I'll decide if I should get one after going thru some financial check, but so far its giving me lots of good vibes!

Haha a wacky idea.

Get 5 of these. Use one as the snare, three of them throw off the snare and position them as toms. Convert 1 to bass drum, and WaLa! Your very own mini Pearl! silent kit ^_^

Of course the tricky part is to mount/position them. Or jus use snare stands for all of them.

Don forget, ur kit will look nice and shiny! And comes with padded bags for u to gig around.

Hmmm $750 plus hardware may come up to $1500...Yicks! Wha so much ah. Think may not be so feasible after all...

Jus brain storming for silent/low volume, real drum feel for HDB.
Maybe if Pearl sees this they will built the metal inserts into their toms so we can place the layers in.

That would be sweet!

Come to think of it, we can screw in those metal inserts into our drums right?

Jon :D

Last edited:
Bro Alfe - I reserve one har (told Alvin my Sifu of Music Lab already last week) - and I want the Gold-Colour one. ...

If neber reserve for me - I take your one har.......Kekekekeke ! Wah-low I really bery thick-skin here.

BUMP! any news?

Bro spinninsticks...your just bias-ed towards Pearl ( and you know it! hahaha!!!! )

...it would be great for jamming...but not all stands can adjust to 12" i guess...

it would be great if it was 14" haha ( then its the ultimate portable jamming snare! )...but 12" also can be used as effects snare or practice snare...considering im going NS soon...wonder if can bring this is....

There's definitely a reason why I'm like that, and it shows in the products ! :mrgreen:

Well you may bring practice pads and sticks (I know they allow that stuff) but not too sure about a snare tho. However that aside, you might also wanna consider the rest of baggage you have to carry when book in so bringing a snare along might be too troublesome ?

I'm curious to hear how it sounds! Its portability might be a plus point as well! I just brought my ref. snare out for a jamming session (which sounded really killer) and had to put in on my lap for the journey to the jamming place due to lack of space in the car. After the whole journey my leg was numb due to the weight of the snare and (always finding excuses) that affected my playin abit... :mrgreen:

*points and laughs at you....BAAHAHAH!

ok just kidding haha...

another efx snare that I'm looking at is the Remo TSS Soundshape Maximum Range with snare. Im sure you guys who saw the modern drummer festival video where jojo mayer was with nerve would know what it is.

I can't really find much online shops with it on display except for west coast drums...
...emailed ishibashi last night and awaiting reply too...

Swee lee has the 14" ones but its quite ex....

plainsman, caijunlong and myself did a review on this snare. We jammed around with it and realised that despite its size, it actually sounds decent enough as a primary snare too. It all depends on how you tune it. Definitely more cutting and higher pitch than a 14", of course.

Back