OM: Imagine

there are a few factors that will affect the sound recorded.

1. microphone
2. position of the mic
3. position of the source (amp in this case)

1. no 2 microphone are the same. that is why it is very expensive to get a "matching pair". that said, the microphone can pick up different frequency. this is aka Frequency Response. If the mic you choose do not pick up the lower frequency well then it would not be a wise choice to use it for micing up a bass guitar or bass drum.

some people fork out $3k for microphone which is considered "entry-level" in a big studio, somewhere out there.

2. if you place the mic too close to the source, there will be proximity effect that cause the mic to behave differently. ie, DJ speak close to the mic to give that boomy sound.

placing it at different position around the amp will give different sounding too. try it out. center of the cone, rim of the cone. back of the amp. ...

3. depending on the acoustic of the room, the position of the source will create a difference in the sound propagated. imagine a huge cathedral and a bank's vault.

sound from the amp will be reflected by the room's wall + ceiling and pick up by the microphone.

Mr X, that's strange, cos I'm using a mono convertor, and when I playback, the sound comes out from 2 speakers.
in any case, will the sound quality be affected be it mono or stereo?

not sure, but when u play back it comes out from both. Only while playing the guitar, only from one side. tone wise, mine is an entry level guitar, hence i thought that's y it aint superb.

oic. One more thing, when I record, the sound always comes out a split-second after I actually play. In other words, lagging. Do you experience the same thing?

Back