Noob: electric guitar and things to get set up?

MisterM

I have no instrument experience what-so-ever, and I'm planning to learn some electric guitar independently.

After some reading, I've settled on a Squier Bullet Strat HSS.

I've recce-ed a few shops around Peninsula and at Bras Basah Complex as well.

Hopefully, I can have feedback on:
  1. Whether my choice of guitar is right
  2. What kind of amp should I get for personal practice
  3. Guitar picks, any things to recommend and to avoid?
  4. Slings should be straight forward right?
  5. Guitar bags; are there such things as different sizes for different guitars and such???
  6. Any recommended shops; Swee Lee or SV or others
  7. Any other things I've missed out

Can everything fit within SGD$400 as well or what kind of budget should I expect to allow?

firstly congrats on picking up an instrument, im sure you will enjoy it. :)

Most of the things mentioned are personal preference, but from my experience and online sentiment squiers have inconsistent quality control, plus the bullet strat is not a very good guitar. For around the $200 range, I suggest a swing strat (find them at SV guitars), I was quite taken with the swing s2 stage for $260. Most people agree that the swing strats are very good at that price range. Try the guitar before buying though, try to get a one that feels right when you play it. Bags generally come with guitars, but do clarify with the shop first.

Im unsure of amps, but roland cube 20-30 are going for ~$150 secondhand on forums, you may want to give those a shot. For picks, I suggest buying one of each gauge in set intervals (0.5mm, 0.7mm, 1mm etc) and try them to see which is the most comfortable. I like thinner picks for strumming and thicker picks for lead lines.

You may want to get your guitar setup, which may cost anywhere from $40-100. I suggest just finding a guitar that plays moderately nicely so you can save on this cost.

Tips:
1. Play the guitars, choose one that sounds and plays best to you. You can start by staff recommendations at SV or Swee Lee (two of the better music stores around)

2. Secondhand market has good value, although do be careful if its your first time buying.

3. Get an experienced guitarist / guitar expert enthusiast friend to go with you to try and buy.

Other things you may need:

Guitar Cable (minimum 1 from guitar to amp)
Guitar Tuner (standard tuning is EADGBe)
Guitar Strap, if you are just starting out I guess the type of strap is not very important

Thanks for the tip on the guitar, I've actually not bought it yet and was intending to soon~
I will do more research on the strats.

Seems a bit overwhelming at first, getting used to it.

I'm also wondering whether is it good sense to save on an amp by just plugging the guitar into PC speakers? If just for practice purposes I suppose.

Okay, I'll do more reading tomorrow.

slings = strap?

Yeah the strap I mean.

I've been looking at the SV guitar strat recommendation, will probably take a look at the store again.

Is there any reason why you choose a bullet Strat? Or just base on online review?

I was looking for something to try out as a beginner and supposingly decent and versatile for a wide variety of genres. I was reading reviews and that seems decent in online reviews. Watched a few Youtube videos of different kinds.

And now I'm here for local opinions :D

vox mini3 is cheaper, and (imo) sound better, and smaller than roland cube. can get at citymusic. they have some craftsman guitars that are pretty good for beginners too. or you can get, like the others have recommended, from svguitars. BTW do not buy from the shop where they have the doraemon guitar on display. i cannot name the shop cos soft will take down my post.

Doraemon guitar?
Ohhhh I think I saw that shop haha...
Bad service?

Okay, I'll see what I can do come Monday when I head out again. Will follow up then. Seems that I got a direct bus to CityMusic's only store.

Hello!
Back again, I've not managed to get one yet, been a bit busy this week. Managed to get some picks of different gauges like suggested.

After some phone calls to SV, realized that there are Indonesian variants to some of the Korean made Swing guitars, it seems that the Indonesian ones are cheaper.

Tried to google for web opinions on whether different manufacturing locations will affect the quality checks on them, but I can't find anything conclusive.

eg: The Swing MG-101 Indonesian made is <$340 (can't remember the exact price) compared to the $399 Korean one.

What do you think?

I will probably go take a look at the Woodlands SV shop soon.

On a safer side, think its better to make a trip down and give the both models a try and decide.

- - - Updated - - -

On a safer side, think its better to make a trip down and give the both models a try and decide.

Do you mean the exact same guitar and specs, are differently priced just because of where they are made? honest question.

Do you mean the exact same guitar and specs, are differently priced just because of where they are made? honest question.

Yes, exact same guitar, brand, model, specs, colour, but different manufacture location.

Guess I should update this since CNY is over,
I did get that mg-101 in the end. The staff was kind enough to demo a few guitars in that price range for me.

I also got a tuner.

Threw in a free set of spare strings too.

Went home and tuned it.

At home I noticed a slight (fret?) buzz with the 6th string.
Apparently it may be set too low, and when I tried to adjust the action from the bridge, the hexagon screwing bit provided does not fit into the adjustment holes. Ironically it fit into the other holes for the other strings.

So I'm slightly annoyed that perhaps I may have to take it back and see if they can rectify it.

In the mean time, does anyone knows other ways of adjusting the string height or does restringing with the new set of strings help?

If the strings on it are relatively new, you don't have to change. I would suggest that you bring the guitar back to the shop and request the staff to help u adjust the action if you are not clear.. sometimes buzz can also be due to warped neck..

At home I noticed a slight (fret?) buzz with the 6th string.
Apparently it may be set too low, and when I tried to adjust the action from the bridge, the hexagon screwing bit provided does not fit into the adjustment holes. Ironically it fit into the other holes for the other strings.

So I'm slightly annoyed that perhaps I may have to take it back and see if they can rectify it.

In the mean time, does anyone knows other ways of adjusting the string height or does restringing with the new set of strings help?

a little bit of buzz on the low E is normal, as long as you don't hear it in the amp, it's ok. In any case, the 'hexagon screwing bit' is called an allen key - you can (And should) buy a small set of tools for tiny adjustments (allen keys, screwdrivers). Daiso sells almost all of them for $2.

A word of warning, adjusting the saddle is pretty easy to pick up, but if you don't know what you are doing don't try to adjust the truss rod.

Thanks all,
haven't been updating on progress, but here it is.

Yep, turns out little buzzing on low E is sort of normal, the sound from the amp turns out fine.

The SV guys gave me the small allen key, so nice of them.

I think for now I'll concentrate on practicing instead of fiddling with it, still quite afraid of asploding the entire thing.

noob or not, it's good to be more acquainted with one's instrument. if your instrument's not up to it, it hinders practice & progress, that would be a bummer...

You know what ?
Im really impressed !

You said that you have no musical experience yet you know so much about guitar. The action , buzz etc.

Cheers to you !

Back